Request: macOS Full Screen & a Preview Mode

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Mac

Request: macOS Full Screen & a Preview Mode

Postby rayascott » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:12 pm

I'm busy trialing v20 after stepping away from photography for some years after using Capture One <= 5 happily for a long time.

One thing I find frustrating, working on a laptop is the full screen mode implementation. It's more of a Preview mode the way it's been implemented. Can the designers and developers of C1 please consider renaming the current Full Screen mode to a Preview mode and then implement macOS full screen mode to behave as Apple intended and all macOS users expect it to, that it just full screens the current window and nothing else?

I want to make use of macOS's menubar area by editing fullscreen, but I'm forced to jump through hoops every time by bringing the disappearing Browser and Tool area back into view with a series of keystrokes, when really, making a window full screen on macOS should only make the window full screen and nothing else.

Also, it's impossible to have the Toolbar permanently visible with the current Full Screen implementation, because that isn't the design's intent. It would be great to have a slimmed down (height) version of the Toolbar when in a full screen edit mode, by making all the tools image only and the same size as the cursor tools.

Please strongly consider making these changes. I feel they are reasonable changes to make and would create a better user experience. Thanks.
rayascott

Re: Request: macOS Full Screen & a Preview Mode

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:46 pm

This is a user-to-user forum. So some of us fellow users may be interested to discuss your idea but if you want to ask the C1 developers to consider it, you should send in a support case.

Ian
Ian3

Postby marchyman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:34 pm

Confused? When I click on the green window button the window goes into macOS full screen mode. What does yours do?

I actually prefer to have the menu bar showing at all times. To do that I expanded the window to use all available space by dragging on the two corners. I use the "F" version of full screen to isolate an image once in a while.
marchyman

Postby rayascott » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:18 am

I'm definitely not confused. When I click on the green window button a few things happen:
1) the window goes full screen
2) the Toolbar disappears
3) the Tool sidebar disappears
4) the Browser disappears

If I want the window to go full screen then the following should happen:

That is all. It's a simple macOS convention that should be adhered to.
rayascott

Postby thomaskyhn » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:45 am

NN145137UL wrote:When I click on the green window button a few things happen:

While there's nothing to do about the toolbar (as far as I can see), you can at least show the Tools and Browser panels permanently.
thomaskyhn

Postby marchyman » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:16 pm

NN145137UL wrote:I'm definitely not confused. When I click on the green window button a few things happen:

If I want the window to go full screen then the following should happen:

That is all. It's a simple macOS convention that should be adhered to.

OK. Click on the green button and then hit the F key. Does that work?

It sounds to me like you're in the "F" version of full screen mode which is what causes the side panels to go away.
marchyman

Postby rayascott » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:37 pm

There is only one full screen mode and you can either trigger it via the green traffic light or by clicking F. It's the same method to exit full screen mode.

Perhaps you are referring to the situation where the window takes up all of the space on the desktop, up against the menubar. That is not full screen mode.
rayascott

Postby marchyman » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:51 pm

NN145137UL wrote:There is only one full screen mode and you can either trigger it via the green traffic light or by clicking F. It's the same method to exit full screen mode.

That is not what I see on my machine: Capture One 20 on macOS 10.15.2

After playing around I see some differences. To confuse matters what I am seeing this afternoon is not the same as I saw yesterday. I don't know why. Yesterday hitting the green button did not hide the tool bar across the top. Today it does.

Today F/Green button are the same IF I have the viewer hidden and am only looking at browser and tools. In tool panel is not hidden.

When I am viewing an image (browser hidden) the function is different.
- using the green button the side panels are replaced with arrows
- using the "F" key the arrows are initially hidden

In both cases I can use cmd-T to toggle the display of the tools. That seems to be sticky. On the other hand today I can not get the tool bar to display regardless of the setting of View -> Toolbar.
marchyman

Postby Nature Isme » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Apple changed the way Full Screen works several OS versions ago (sometime before Sierra, at least).

Try this:

To get the active window to fill the screen while leaving the menubar in place, OPTION-click the green circle.

Clicking the green circle alone should fill the screen and eliminate the menubar as noted.

I personally prefer the old method which is now Opt-click, as I usually need to access menus. But Apple's Apple and whatever UI changes they make are, of course, the best thing. Right?
Nature Isme

Postby rayascott » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:56 pm

There seems to be a bit of confusion with some posters regarding full screen and window maximising. As you mention, option click the green button to maximise. Personally I just double click the title bar of a window if I want it maximised. It’s quicker.

My comments regarding Phase One’s implementation of full screen mode still stand. I don’t see how Apple could be at fault. Their full screen green button click makes more sense than option click, especially if you are used to the legacy double click of the title bar to maximise the window.
rayascott

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Mac