Crop wavering causing registration problems

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Mac

Crop wavering causing registration problems

Postby Greg64 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:13 am

In C1Pro 20 on my mac, I have found that there seems to be some sort of crop inconsistency between exposures. I am a product photographer and routinely do multiple exposures for a single image. It is absolutely imperative that I have perfect registration between exposures so that I can layer in Photoshop to combine the images. Using 20, I have repeatedly found that there is a major problem with registration between processed images. I have had to revert to C1Pro 9 so that this doesn't happen. I realize that the C1 developers have messed with the crop tool (in a good way with the handles) but it seems that there needs to be a bug fix to address this issue.
Anybody else out there experiencing this?
I would love to use the new 20 version but I can't because of this issue.
Greg64

Re: Crop wavering causing registration problems

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:04 am

By Registration do you mean that the crop retains the same size but shifts in some way (Left/Right/Up/Down) or that the size changes from one exposure to the next?

I would imagine you have already considered this but for completeness I should ask whether you have investigated and eliminated the possibility that this might be something to do with lens correction activity.

Also whether this is something you can see during processing and/or output.

If you output without any crop is there any registration problem?

Grant
SFA

Postby Greg64 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:20 pm

It seems that the crop is shifting. When I remove the crop (even while still retaining the perspective and rotation corrections) and process, the registration is fine between exposures. Also, the raws are perfectly in line (thus not any camera shifting). I am always in manual focus and manual settings when I shoot (Canon 5D Mark 4). Again, I have shot in this manner for years (since C1Pro 3.7) for many different clients and reverting to 9 makes this go back to normal. I hope that the software developers will look into this and fix this bug so that I can utilize 20.
Greg64

Postby SFA » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Greg64 wrote:It seems that the crop is shifting. When I remove the crop (even while still retaining the perspective and rotation corrections) and process, the registration is fine between exposures. Also, the raws are perfectly in line (thus not any camera shifting). I am always in manual focus and manual settings when I shoot (Canon 5D Mark 4). Again, I have shot in this manner for years (since C1Pro 3.7) for many different clients and reverting to 9 makes this go back to normal. I hope that the software developers will look into this and fix this bug so that I can utilize 20.

Greg,

You should submit a Support Case to the Capture One Support Team.

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

This forum is not an official support channel for Capture One. In any case the nature of this problem sounds like they would need to work with you 1 on 1 to complete a full diagnosis of what you are seeing. Unless, of course, they have already heard about it.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Greg64 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:59 pm

I appreciate the link, Grant. I will definitely give it a go.
Greg64

Postby Pistolpete » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:47 pm

I also have the same problem working with Nikon D850. You make a crop in CO and it slowly changes after a few tethered shots. The crop is not consistent. I can send a screenshot where you can see the crop changing within about 20 shots (not really shifting but really changing) ...
Pistolpete

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Mac