Leica Q2 oversaturated colors

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Mac

Leica Q2 oversaturated colors

Postby errebe » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Leica Q2 ICC profile just spoils shots. Horrible colors.

Someone else experiencing this problem?

This suggestion by CO team doesn't work solve the issue: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004027358-Why-are-the-colors-are-oversaturated-in-the-files-from-Leica-Q2-in-Capture-One-20-

When will be this fixed...?

Thanks.
errebe

Re: Leica Q2 oversaturated colors

Postby tenmangu81 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Hi,

Phase One is aware of this issue, as far as I read, and it should be fixed in a next upgrade. Meanwhile, don't you get better results when opening with the profile "No colour correction", as suggested in the link ?
This issue has also been reported in the Leica forum:
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/304145-capture-one-20-specific-warning-for-leica-q2-users/
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby errebe » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:07 am

tenmangu81 wrote:Hi,

Phase One is aware of this issue, as far as I read, and it should be fixed in a next upgrade. Meanwhile, don't you get better results when opening with the profile "No colour correction", as suggested in the link ?
This issue has also been reported in the Leica forum:
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/304145-capture-one-20-specific-warning-for-leica-q2-users/
Robert

Thanks Robert, I am aware of both the report and the warning I mentioned previously.

"No color correction" does not improve a lot, "Adobe/DNG file Neutral" gives slightly better results.

What I don't understand is how this product was launched with this big bug undetected. Gives the impression of careless procedures. Think we Leica Q2 users are totally stuck because of this failure. Very disappointing.

Overall, I don't see CO 20 improves a lot. Furthermore, in some aspects, like basic color editor, is a step back compared with CO 12 in usability.
errebe

Postby tenmangu81 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:23 am

errebe wrote:What I don't understand is how this product was launched with this big bug undetected. Gives the impression of careless procedures. Think we Leica Q2 users are totally stuck because of this failure. Very disappointing.

Yes, it is really unbelievable that Phase One completely missed this point. It means that not so many Q2 users participated as beta testers..... And that the engine has been rewritten to some extent, as it worked well for Q2 with v12.

errebe wrote:Overall, I don't see CO 20 improves a lot. Furthermore, in some aspects, like basic color editor, is a step back compared with CO 12 in usability.

I think v20 introduced some noticeable improvements : noise reduction, basic color editor (yes, to my mind, the new version is better), scrollable tools, copying layers from an image to an other, new HDR tool, better crop tool, etc...
tenmangu81

Postby Chris26 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:42 am

I get the same issue using C1 v20.01 for images from the Q2.

I get an improved image by selecting the "Adobe DNG Neutral" in Base Characteristics + ICC Profile. Regardless, both the Leica Q2 Generic and the Adobe effectively kill the "Leica look"

I have the jpg's out of the camera as a reference and they are FAR superior.

Also, if I go back to a C1 12 Session (not yet upgraded) I get the same profile issues - although I seem to have the option of a "Leica Q2 Neutral" ICC Profile, which also gives superior colors.

Hopefully it is just a matter of P1 sending out an update with the correct ICC Profile for the Q2.

And so, I wait.
Chris26

Postby Chris26 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:01 am

Also with CaptureOne 20, import does not seem to look inside subfolders properly, as prior versions did. It's now necessary to point directly to the specific image subfolder for import to work.
Chris26

Postby errebe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 pm

Nothing happened after more than one month.

When is this bug going to be fixed...? I understand minor bugs can be expected, but honestly, this is too much. CO is deservedly praised by its quality and so on, but again, this is too much.

In my case, I am (I was) organizing a personal web page and other things, and I am just stuck for more than one month. CO is a paid software, and not cheap, and users I think we deserve better treatment.

Best.
errebe

Postby tenmangu81 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi all,

The just released version (20.0.2) fixes the issue of oversaturated colors with the Q2 camera !!
Robert
tenmangu81

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Mac