Linked Variants?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Linked Variants?

Postby NN155741UL1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:06 am

I'm still a Capture One baby - not a lot of experience - so please excuse what may be an obvious question.
There is something that I don't understand about variants. I have created three variants in Capture One and then made a round trip to Photoshop and back with each one. I thought that I was creating three different looks, but that is not the case. No matter which one I open in Photoshop and edit, those changes appear in the other two variants. They are all in sync. What am I missing? How do I keep them separate? Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.
Gordon
NN155741UL1

Re: Linked Variants?

Postby SFA » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:52 pm

What sort of files? (File types).

How are you making the Round Trip to Photoshop and what are you to them in doing in PS?

A variant of an image in C1 is an alternative edit based on the same original file. (However you also need to remember that the word "variant" is used for all images as a generic term - so is often applied to mean both "All selected images" and "All images AND THIER MULTIPLE EDITS".

To round trip to an external application you need to generate a specific output file of some sort (often TIFF, might be PSD, might be JPG) and work on that in the external application before returning it to CI (if you so choose). Ideally you would name the exported file so that it can be identified as an individual previously edit file and so starts a life of its own.

It sound like that's not what you see happening at the moment.

Grant
SFA

Re: Linked Variants?

Postby NN155741UL1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:20 am

Thanks for the input. I'll look at the anomalies that I think I see and try to recreate them repeatedly. As you said, it is probably a naming issue.
NN155741UL1

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows