Open With Plugin broken ?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Open With Plugin broken ?

Postby Samoreen » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi,

Here is what I see when I try to configure the OpenWith plugin in order to add a new program :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08cxlvmro8n423e/OpenWithBug.jpg?dl=0

Obviously, something is missing. How do I add a new external application to the list ?

Running C1 version 12.1.1 on Windows 10 1903

Thanks.
Samoreen

Re: Open With Plugin broken ?

Postby IanS » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:47 pm

Samoreen wrote:Hi,

Here is what I see when I try to configure the OpenWith plugin in order to add a new program :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08cxlvmro8n423e/OpenWithBug.jpg?dl=0

Obviously, something is missing. How do I add a new external application to the list ?

Running C1 version 12.1.1 on Windows 10 1903

Thanks.

The developers use Macs and this OS automatically adds applications to the plugin list. In Windows you need to manually use the OS to add programs.

In File Explorer navigate to a suitable file type and right click and select "open with". Once the file has opened in the application you can close it and it will appear on the plugin tab.

I assume it is the developers little joke for Windows users as they fail to add any information on how to do this in the plugin tab.They also include a "search" box which leads you to believe that you can search for the program. That box should be labelled "filter" as that is all it does, filters the plugin list.

A more professional approach to software development would be appreciated by users.

Ian
IanS

Postby SFA » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:43 pm

I thought this was Microsoft's little joke.

Windows expects an application, at installation or update, to register all of the file types it can work with by using the file extension as identification and making an entry in the Windows Register.

Beyond that one can "make" the association by doing as IanS has described or, for the brave, use the regedit utility program to edit the relevant registry entry for the application. (Maybe there are advances in WIn 10 - I don't know as I don't have it.)

As far as I am aware dis-association has to be via regedit although I suppose one could also uninstall and hope the registry is correctly cleaned up.

A couple of the more interesting things to note:

Windows makes no checks on any association one adds. You can add any file type extension to any application's file association entry whether it can support the file or not. (This is hardly a surprise of course but may be worth mentioning.)

Historically a small number of file extensions have been used for different purposes by different applications and so some associations may look valid but would not be viable for processing by the chosen application even though it may appear on the "possibles" list.

A Google search for the COS file extension may prove interesting to some forum users.

For others reading this thread and wondering about C1 dedicated plugins ...

If you are seeking to add a valid Capture One Plugin developed specifically for the purpose then the "Get more plugins" button at the bottom of the window (at this time) will link to the Phase web site page that presents what is available.

If a dedicated Plug-in has already been downloaded the "+" button at the bottom left of the window can be used to locate the download and add it to the available list on the left of the window.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Samoreen » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:14 pm

Thanks IanS, SFA,

So, basically nothing has changed since earlier versions (I'm recently back to C1). On Windows, C1 still relies on registry information for this feature. Not only this approach gives very strange results but there's no easy way to add a new program to the list. Any other program that I'm aware of allowing external calls to other application uses a more simple approach : a dialog box allowing to select the target .exe file is opened, the selected program is added to the list and that's it. Simple and effective. Why make things so awkward and difficult ? Moreover, this approach implies writing much more code (and even a plugin that doesn't help in any way). I expected version 12 to eventually offer an editable list of external programs but obviously, this is too much to ask (I can't believe it's too difficult to program : just have a look at how they did it in Lightroom).

Just baffling...

PS : The problem can be partially fixed by using the OpenWithAdd utility. Registering a program with this tool makes it appear in the C1 list. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for all programs.
Samoreen

Postby Rodast » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:53 pm

Very strange, that I nedd third party programs or have to edit the registry to manuylly edit the List of programs in a Plugin.
Nearly everyhing in C1 could be changed to my best pratice ans simple Plugin seems to be too much for PO.
Very hard to realize.
Rodast

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows