Capture One 12 Exposure Warning

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Capture One 12 Exposure Warning

Postby RodB » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi all,
I have an image that lights up red when the exposure warning is turned on. The areas in question are blue, and give the following sorts of RGB readings: 130:175:254:168.

I could understand an exposure warning if all levels were approaching 255, bit with only the blue channel reaching that I don't understand why I get the warning.

Any ideas?
RodB

Re: Capture One 12 Exposure Warning

Postby Bobtographer » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:39 pm

adjust the tolerance in prefs
Bobtographer

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 pm

Bobtographer wrote:adjust the tolerance in prefs

Also, the warning triggers (by design) if any of the channels is too high.

Ian
Ian3

Postby RodB » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:07 am

I've adjusted the tolerances, but still got the errors.
Ian3, so they give a warning if any channel approaches saturation? Seems odd if you get a warning if the blues are blue...
RodB

Postby Ian3 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:16 am

Assuming, for argument's sake, that you set the warning threshold in the levels tool to 250, the exposure warning will show if any of the channels exceeds 250. You can, of course, set the warning level to 255. In that case the warning will show if any of the channels is all the way up to 255. If the blue channel is all the way to 255, you are not just getting blues that are blue - you are getting blues that cannot show any highlight detail. So imagine a scene in which there are a range of blues between perhaps 230 and 250. You can see the difference between them. But if you pull up the exposure a bit so that the tones that were 230 are now 255, the ones that were 250 can't go up to 275, because 255 is the maximum. So they all show as 255 and you can longer distinguish the details you could before.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:38 am

RodB wrote:Hi all,
I have an image that lights up red when the exposure warning is turned on. The areas in question are blue, and give the following sorts of RGB readings: 130:175:254:168.

I could understand an exposure warning if all levels were approaching 255, bit with only the blue channel reaching that I don't understand why I get the warning.

Any ideas?

Yes.

Ignore the exposure warning when you feel there is no need take account of it.

I very rarely turn it on.

I suspect it is mostly valuable in an extremely controlled environment when seeking maximum dynamic range and working at speed in such a way that an instant warning would be unexpected and something to check whereas no warning would indicate moving to the next shot.

To some extent the wider use of such warnings is probably something of a relic from the early days of digital cameras and scanning backs. With recent camera systems and processing software the advances in dynamic range and processing abilities has probably reduced the need to use such tools.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows