Import images direct from a Canon 100D/Rebel SL1

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Import images direct from a Canon 100D/Rebel SL1

Postby NNN636818961155133822 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:45 am

Hi,

if I connect my camera via a USB cable with my Win10 computer every software is able to detect and access the camera - except C1.
If I start an Import in C1 and try to choose the source for the images the camera isn't listed in that dialog. Regarding to the C1 website (https://www.captureone.com/en/features/ ... mera=canon) the camera is supported.

How can I tell the C1 software where to find this supported camera?
NNN636818961155133822

Re: Import images direct from a Canon 100D/Rebel SL1

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:50 am

For most cameras, Capture One won't import direct from the camera via a cable. If you connect it with a cable, Capture One works as if you want to do tethered capture. You can import from your memory card using a card reader, or if you insist on doing it via a cable, you can move the images onto the computer from the camera using Windows Explorer, then import into Capture One.

(If you are using a session, you can move the images using Windows Explorer into the Capture folder of the session and Capture One will see them.)

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN636818961155133822 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:00 pm

Ian3 wrote:For most cameras, Capture One won't import direct from the camera via a cable. If you connect it with a cable, Capture One works as if you want to do tethered capture. You can import from your memory card using a card reader, or if you insist on doing it via a cable, you can move the images onto the computer from the camera using Windows Explorer, then import into Capture One.

(If you are using a session, you can move the images using Windows Explorer into the Capture folder of the session and Capture One will see them.)

Ian

Thanks for clarification. My understanding of supported cameras must be much different then the understanding of the C1 developers for that topic. And why I can control a camera for tethered capturing via cable but I can't access the memory card of that camera is not comprehensible for me. This is common praxis these days ...

Ian3 wrote:(If you are using a session, you can move the images using Windows Explorer into the Capture folder of the session and Capture One will see them.)
Ian

Thanks for the hint - I'll try it. I created full of optimism and over many hours a catalog with around 20000 images and it looks like I can't really use it because the very elaborate file management in C1.

I assume this will be a superfluous question but I have to ask. :oops:
Is there any functionality in C1 which is able to monitor/scan directory's on system level for changed file organisation like new images/folder, deleted images/folder etc.. I fear I already know the answer ... :(
NNN636818961155133822

Postby Ian3 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:08 am

I assume this will be a superfluous question but I have to ask. :oops:
Is there any functionality in C1 which is able to monitor/scan directory's on system level for changed file organisation like new images/folder, deleted images/folder etc.. I fear I already know the answer ... :(

Again, this rather depends on whether you are working in a catalog or a session. In a catalog, Capture One does not routinely scan everywhere to see what is happening. In a session, if you look at a folder anywhere via Capture One, it will see the images in there, start to build previews, etc. In a catalog, you can't just navigate to any folder - you'd have to add it to the catalog, and then synchronise that folder.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN636818961155133822 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:57 am

I've to admit that I've a hard time to understand the C1 file management. Sorry about that!

I tested the Session possibility. Yes, it reflects better the hard drive situation but it shows also all not image related system files. Beside that there is no counter information for any folder. Ok, looks like I've to stick to catalogs.

As you said C1 can read a camera memory card from a card reader. I checked that with the same result like reading from the camera. Everything on my system can see that card in the reader - except C1. I've the feeling C1 doesn't likes this card and I don't know why.

Anyway, I moved the images manually from the memory card to a test folder on my HD in a new sub folder. The main folder was already imported in C1.

To have the new folder reflected in C1 I synchronized the main folder. Nothing happens. C1 can't see anything. Ok, mine understanding for synchronizing is different.

I then imported the new folder into C1 - works.

Now I tried to delete this new folder in C1. Right click, delete - gone. Nice. Check the C1 trash bin - nothing?!!! Check on system level - folder still exist. How do I get effective rid of an complete folder inclusive content ...?

Ok, create the same scenario for an other attempt.
Deleted the folder on system level, check C1 and the folder status is off line. Synchronize - nothing changes, delete the off line folder in C1 - gone.

My conclusion: To delete a complete folder I have to delete it on system level and then again in C1.
Why is in C1 deleting images or folder differently handled? Images works with trash and final deleting from the hard drive but folder are not in the trash bin and not deleted from the hard drive. Looks like Professional Photographers have a much different file organization then me and it works just fine for them. Or I miss some other important point in this task ...

Here is my point: It's a kind of funny in this test scenario with a handful images and folders but what happens when I have to reorganize my folder structure with hundreds of folders and thousand of images? I assume it is easier to built in that case a new catalog instead of trying to keep track of changes.
Can I delete a complete catalog with all associated thumbnails etc.? I can't find it in C1.
NNN636818961155133822

Postby Ian3 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:36 am

If Capture One isn't seeing the card reader either then something is not working as normal. I've been importing images from memory cards into Capture One for over 10 years without much of a problem!

Your comment that perhaps Capture One doesn't like this memory card could be worth checking on. Can you try a few images from a different card and see whether that makes any difference?

Deleting: you need to understand the difference between deleting a folder from the catalog and deleting it from disk. You can delete images and folders from the catalog without the actual file on the disk being affected.

Importing images is meant to be an easy process and it usually is. Have you looked at any of the tutorial videos Capture One has provided? For instance this one from about 8m 39s. https://youtu.be/wi0HUc9lmCg

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:25 am

NNN636818961155133822 wrote:
Here is my point: It's a kind of funny in this test scenario with a handful images and folders but what happens when I have to reorganize my folder structure with hundreds of folders and thousand of images? I assume it is easier to built in that case a new catalog instead of trying to keep track of changes.

The real point about using a catalogue and all of its computer database founded facilities is that the internal structure of the database matter not at all. That should be the joy of a catalogue. It would not matter how folders are 'structured' so lond as you do everything through the application that manageds the catalogue the database will know where to find things. And if you tag things well enough, typically with keywords but other methods are available, content can be found easily.

However, most of are likely working from ingrained habits dating back to the days of drawer based paper filing systems with a single place to find the document we wanted (unless we had made copies and created multiple records - which left us with the problem if managing both (or all) variants of the file).

It can be very hard to adjust to believing that the database can be a more effective filing system than our own efforts.

This, of course, is especially true if we are trying to use different applications with the same original files and finding them less than ideally compatible. Something that will almost certainly be the case where proprietary catalogue structures are in use.

It's something akin to buying a dog and then insisting on barking yourself and having total control over when it wags its tail.

It may be worth stepping back and asking yourself how the features and functions available might improve your digital asset management experience and, perhaps, be allowed to save you some time or realise some other benefits through a little adaption of your normal admin process rather than struggling to fit what you do into an application that can offer little additional benefit to your process.

That said I suspect you can obtain what you want from catalogues in C1 but have yet to discover the way. Once again I would suggest that you stand back, clear your mind of whatever you believe you have learned so far and start afresh.

Pick a few specific actions that you feel are most vital to you and take a look as the many tutorials and webinar videos, both the Phase Official sources and those on the internet from users, and discover the options that are available to fulfil those actions. Youd will quite likely find there are a number of options in many cases.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636818961155133822 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:31 am

Ok guys, I'll step back and clear my mind. :wink: Thanks for your effort to explain the idea behind the C1 software.

May I still ask you how to delete effective a catalog or session with all associated files like thumbnails etc. within the C1 software or do I have to do that on system level?
NNN636818961155133822

Postby Ian3 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:20 am

If you want to completely delete a session or catalog, do it outside of Capture One.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN636818961155133822 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:08 pm

Thanks.
NNN636818961155133822

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows