URGENT - Image Loses Sharpness when Edit in PS

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

URGENT - Image Loses Sharpness when Edit in PS

Postby funkcanna » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi, ive a major issue. Whenever I EDIT IN > Photoshop, the image loses quality and sharpness. Ive tried exporting as 16bit TIFF and PSD and its the same issue with both. This is a vital part of my work on this current shoot (artwork reproduction) - how can I export to photoshop without losing sharpness? Do I need to re-add sharpness after the PS edit??
funkcanna

Re: URGENT - Image Loses Sharpness when Edit in PS

Postby Ian3 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:52 pm

When you go to Edit with... you presumably see the Export dialog box. In that there are several tabs for Basic / Adjustments / Metadata. On the Adjustments tab there are several options for how sharpening is applied. The No Output Sharpening is probably the one you want - that leaves the sharpening that has already been applied in Capture One. The two Output Sharpening options are for print and for screen use. The fourth option is Disable All. That exists because some users, if they are taking an image out to Photoshop or Affinity or whatever prefer to do all their sharpening in the destination app.

Ian
Ian3

Postby funkcanna » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Ian3 wrote:When you go to Edit with... you presumably see the Export dialog box. In that there are several tabs for Basic / Adjustments / Metadata. On the Adjustments tab there are several options for how sharpening is applied. The No Output Sharpening is probably the one you want - that leaves the sharpening that has already been applied in Capture One. The two Output Sharpening options are for print and for screen use. The fourth option is Disable All. That exists because some users, if they are taking an image out to Photoshop or Affinity or whatever prefer to do all their sharpening in the destination app.

Ian

Thanks. So if I want the image to look EXACTLY like it does in C1, I should pick no sharpening? The issue is that the image is LOSING sharpness somewhere in the transfer.
funkcanna

Postby Ian3 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:30 pm

funkcanna wrote:
Ian3 wrote:When you go to Edit with... you presumably see the Export dialog box. In that there are several tabs for Basic / Adjustments / Metadata. On the Adjustments tab there are several options for how sharpening is applied. The No Output Sharpening is probably the one you want - that leaves the sharpening that has already been applied in Capture One. The two Output Sharpening options are for print and for screen use. The fourth option is Disable All. That exists because some users, if they are taking an image out to Photoshop or Affinity or whatever prefer to do all their sharpening in the destination app.

Ian

Thanks. So if I want the image to look EXACTLY like it does in C1, I should pick no sharpening? The issue is that the image is LOSING sharpness somewhere in the transfer.

No. If you want it to be exactly as it looked in C1, you want “no OUTPUT sharpening”.

Ian
Ian3

Postby funkcanna » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Thank you.
funkcanna

Postby NN635332053113721059UL » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:19 pm

funkcanna wrote:Hi, ive a major issue. Whenever I EDIT IN > Photoshop, the image loses quality and sharpness. Ive tried exporting as 16bit TIFF and PSD and its the same issue with both. This is a vital part of my work on this current shoot (artwork reproduction) - how can I export to photoshop without losing sharpness? Do I need to re-add sharpness after the PS edit??

I'm seeing this as well with Windows CO 12.1. A tiff fixed scale export to the output folder retains sharpness but a tiff export to PS or "Edit in PS" with same settings is giving very soft results in PS and in CO when the tiff comes back to CO. All methods with no export sharping. This is really making PS unusable.

gb.
NN635332053113721059UL

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:36 pm

NN635332053113721059UL wrote:
funkcanna wrote:Hi, ive a major issue. Whenever I EDIT IN > Photoshop, the image loses quality and sharpness. Ive tried exporting as 16bit TIFF and PSD and its the same issue with both. This is a vital part of my work on this current shoot (artwork reproduction) - how can I export to photoshop without losing sharpness? Do I need to re-add sharpness after the PS edit??

I'm seeing this as well with Windows CO 12.1. A tiff fixed scale export to the output folder retains sharpness but a tiff export to PS or "Edit in PS" with same settings is giving very soft results in PS and in CO when the tiff comes back to CO. All methods with no export sharping. This is really making PS unusable.

gb.

So if you open the tif in the Output folder that retained its sharpness, is it still sharp if you open it with PS? If not, that suggests the issue is in PS. But if that one is still sharp in PS, then it suggests that some setting in your Edit in PS export is the culprit. Worth checking?

Ian
Ian3

Postby NN635332053113721059UL » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:12 am

Ian3 wrote:
NN635332053113721059UL wrote:

gb.

So if you open the tif in the Output folder that retained its sharpness, is it still sharp if you open it with PS? If not, that suggests the issue is in PS. But if that one is still sharp in PS, then it suggests that some setting in your Edit in PS export is the culprit. Worth checking?

Ian

Hi Ian.

As you suggest in your fist post above the problem was that the adjustment tab in the Edit With PS dialog box had set itself to "Disable All" which apparently turns off even default CO sharpening. So hart attack averted. I would assume this is the OP's problem too.

Thanks,
gb.
NN635332053113721059UL

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows