Catalogue Creation CO for Sony (Windows)

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Catalogue Creation CO for Sony (Windows)

Postby NNN636346921543104546 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:56 pm

Hello,

I am a newer user of Capture One for Sony (Windows). I am having a real problem grasping how to create my catalogue. According to the online tutorials, I want to create a "referenced" catalogue that refers to all images stored on a specific SSD on my computer. However, Capture One copied approximately 11,000 images to my C drive. I told CO to create the catalogue in the same location, not to create it in the Pictures folder in the C drive (which if I understand correctly is the default location to create the catalogue.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong in this case. Can anyone advise me? Thank you!

Rob S.
NNN636346921543104546

Re: Catalogue Creation CO for Sony (Windows)

Postby SFA » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:43 pm

NNN636346921543104546 wrote:Hello,

I am a newer user of Capture One for Sony (Windows). I am having a real problem grasping how to create my catalogue. According to the online tutorials, I want to create a "referenced" catalogue that refers to all images stored on a specific SSD on my computer. However, Capture One copied approximately 11,000 images to my C drive. I told CO to create the catalogue in the same location, not to create it in the Pictures folder in the C drive (which if I understand correctly is the default location to create the catalogue.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong in this case. Can anyone advise me? Thank you!

Rob S.

Pro or Express version of C1 for Sony?
SFA

Postby NNN636346921543104546 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:25 am

Pro (on Trial).
NNN636346921543104546

Postby SFA » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Are you importing a catalogue from another editor?

I don't use catalogues normally but when I create one for any reason it is usually on a second SSD drive (i.e. Not the C: drive) on my laptop and I have not problems with the catalogue being created on that drive and importing files too it selecting "Managed" (rarely) or "referenced" as required.

Can you describe for us in detail the steps of your process since it sounds like both the catalogue creation and the choice about where the files are to be located are failing and that just does not seem logical if you have got the choices right.

I believe there is a tutorial video and a webinar video related to creating catalogues (and some other topics). If you have not seen those already it might be helpful to you to watch them to see if you can spot any differences compared to your process (and give you some confidence that the process does indeed work!).

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636346921543104546 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:24 am

Hi Grant,

Thanks very much for your reply.

In fact, I did watch the tutorials and webinar, which is why I am finding this process confusing. I am usually fairly competent at setting up and using new software

In terms of steps, I am trying to accurately retrace what I did.

New catalogue
Import from X (SSD folder)
Import to: Current location (As I understand it, this is what will tell Capture One to "reference" the images, not copy them. This may be where I'm tripping up.
Capture One starts to copy all the images to a new folder. Not what I wanted to do.

I hope this gives you enough information for some guidance.

Thanks,
Rob
NNN636346921543104546

Postby SFA » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi Rob,

Your process sounds correct to me.

Two questions.

When you set the import folder to Current Location the File renaming option should become unavailable with a message showing. Do you see that?

Do you by any chance have the Backup option enabled?

I would expect C1 to be creating Preview files and the much smaller Thumbnail files for the Browser's use within the catalogue but with Referenced Images it should not be copying original files anywhere as far as I can imagine - even if the most obscure accidental folder settings had been defined in other options.

Very odd.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows