Copy Metadata to multiple images

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Copy Metadata to multiple images

Postby TimG » Mon May 27, 2019 7:23 pm

I can't copy IPTC data, specifically Description, Image City and Image State, to multiple images.

I've reviewed this thread and still have the problem. viewtopic.php?f=52&t=30100&p=148730&hilit=copy+metadata#p148730

I've watched this helpful video..... but still can't resolve the problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... y8mWNPZwL8

I have "all variants" selected. I'm using the two ended diagonal arrow in the Metadata tools tab. When I select the image with the desired metadata entered (description, city, state), then click on the two ended arrow, the Adjustments Clipboard appears with the appropriate boxes checked (description, city, state). After I click on Copy, the Adjustments Clipboard disappears. I then select the images or images that I want the data applied to. I click on the double ended arrow again and the Adjustments Clipboard reappears. None of the data boxes are checked for the data that I just copied (description, city, state). Even if I manually select those 3 data boxes and then hit Apply, the data is not copied to the selected image or images. The ALT and Shift keyboard shortcuts in conjunction with the double ended arrow do not work either to copy and paste the data.

I've tried this process with different images, with only one target image and with multiple images, and different data fields but the Copy and Paste two ended arrow does not seem to work correctly in the Metadata Tool.

Am I making a mistake in using the tools or is there a software glitch?

Thank you for any assistance.

I'm using CO 12.0.3 64 bit and Windows 10.
TimG

Re: Copy Metadata to multiple images

Postby Ian3 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:01 pm

Is edit all selected variants toggled on or off? (The three stacked rectangles icon on the toolbar.)

Ian
Ian3

Postby TimG » Mon May 27, 2019 8:40 pm

The select all variants is set "on", showing the orange tone.
TimG

Postby TimG » Wed May 29, 2019 5:40 pm

I opened a support case and received prompt assistance on the issue.

CO has a subtle but critical difference compared to all other software that I've used which has a Copy and Paste feature.

After using the double ended arrow in the Metadata section to Copy the desired data from the source image, you need to select the source image AND the target images, then use the double sided arrow to Apply the data changes. If you just select the target images and try to apply the changes, you will not see any changes.

There is also another way apply the changes to the target images. Copy the desired data using the double ended arrow. Select just the target images. At the top of your screen, use the Apply Adjustments arrow and the changes will be applied.
TimG

Postby SFA » Wed May 29, 2019 6:39 pm

TimG wrote:I opened a support case and received prompt assistance on the issue.

CO has a subtle but critical difference compared to all other software that I've used which has a Copy and Paste feature.

After using the double ended arrow in the Metadata section to Copy the desired data from the source image, you need to select the source image AND the target images, then use the double sided arrow to Apply the data changes. If you just select the target images and try to apply the changes, you will not see any changes.

There is also another way apply the changes to the target images. Copy the desired data using the double ended arrow. Select just the target images. At the top of your screen, use the Apply Adjustments arrow and the changes will be applied.

You know TIm I think the problem people in the forum had providing you with the answer is that despite the functionality seeming strange at first one very quickly adjusts to the options using all approaches that are offered according to the needs of the moment. Thus when asked a question in the forum no one thought of the different approaches to copying and pasting as a possible source of your difficulty!

The underlying data selection and management mechanism is the same - just the method of applying can be chosen to suit the specific purpose of the moment.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows