Panasonic LX 100 MII

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby NN636010587404603493UL » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:43 am

In understand that some cameras are more "glamorous" than others and hence get priority in support independently of the actual number of camera owners.

My point here is that considering the high price tag of Capture One compared with competitor's you would expect that not only the quality of the product is higher but that also the needs of the paying customers (independently of whether they are professional or not, after all professionals` money is the same of "mere mortal" people`s money) such as camera support is given high attention.

I mostly use my LX100 MII as a note book when/where the "carting" of the Olympus OMD M11 and Olympus EM1X is not suitable or as a support for the work of the two "professional" cameras.

So far I had to buy a lesser quality product to convert the raw file to TIFF so that i can then process them in Capture One just because Phase One consider such camera a non professional one. I think this is a solution that does not fit nicely with Capture One reputation.

I really hoped that the support would come in 12.03.22 Not yet. May some time in thew future.........
NN636010587404603493UL
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby Tim1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:42 am

Given that the Leica D-Lux 7 is essentially the same camera, we can hope that Phase One will support both.
Tim1
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Wales

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby IanS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:57 am

NN636010587404603493UL wrote:In understand that some cameras are more "glamorous" than others and hence get priority in support independently of the actual number of camera owners.

My point here is that considering the high price tag of Capture One compared with competitor's you would expect that not only the quality of the product is higher but that also the needs of the paying customers (independently of whether they are professional or not, after all professionals` money is the same of "mere mortal" people`s money) such as camera support is given high attention.

I mostly use my LX100 MII as a note book when/where the "carting" of the Olympus OMD M11 and Olympus EM1X is not suitable or as a support for the work of the two "professional" cameras.

So far I had to buy a lesser quality product to convert the raw file to TIFF so that i can then process them in Capture One just because Phase One consider such camera a non professional one. I think this is a solution that does not fit nicely with Capture One reputation.

I really hoped that the support would come in 12.03.22 Not yet. May some time in thew future.........


It is all to do with resources and management committent. Is Phase One a hardware or a software company? For a software company you need to be able to ideally support all cameras and lenses and quickly. This is what Adobe does.

I think it is coming to the time when Phase One will have to consider splitting the business into Camera Manufacture - the original business and software - the upstart child :-)

We saw last year with DXO that hardware and software businesses are very different and not comfortable bed fellows for company development. With dedicated management teams there is more chance of each business flourishing.

Personally if I were Silverfleet Capital, who own 60% of Phase One I would hive off the software business and merge it with DXO- Photolab. This would produce a company with low and high-end raw processing products and complimentary software technology. PRIME noise reduction, the best optical lens corrections and a way forward with general image processing (NIK technology) from DXO linked to C1Pro's sophisticated raw processing software (and DAM capabilities) that targets professionals while DXO-Photolab provides easy, minimum user input raw processing to obtain excellent results.

Complimentary products, expertise and a forward direction. Just my personal thoughts, but I am available to consult :-)
IanS
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby SFA » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 pm

I saw a comment somewhere that the latest small consume focused Canon DSLR (250d?) includes a mode to allow people to make their pictured look like they were taken on a phone camera.

Assuming that is indeed true it makes one wonder which way the "proper camera" market is heading. Apple probably spotted the trend early when they replaced Aperture with Photos (or whatever the replacement is called).

Bear in mind that most cameras that offer RAW will have an associated basic converter application available at launch for those buyers who use RAW files.

If I was running a business based on high end cameras and imaging with some very specialised industry related control requirements and associated software applications there is no way I would want to drop a software application that is a key to the results of the process and allow others to take control of its direction.

I might, however, keep a watch on how worthwhile the external market is related to sales beyond any manufacturer associations.


Grant
SFA
 
Posts: 6953
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby NN636010587404603493UL » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:48 pm

Version 12.04 released. Another big disappointment for paying customers owning a Panasonic LX100 MII. !!!!!!!
NN636010587404603493UL
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby IanS » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:22 pm

NN636010587404603493UL wrote:Version 12.04 released. Another big disappointment for paying customers owning a Panasonic LX100 MII. !!!!!!!


Agreed but they will get round to it eventually. I use DXO-Photolab 2 in the interim and it does provide the advantage of much better noise reduction with PRIME noise reduction. I send the converted raw to C1Pro for final processing.

DXO-Photolab 2 Elite is on offer at the moment for $89 / £69 with an offer code, which is quite a bargain. Google to find the code in case posting is against the rules.
Ian
IanS
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby NN636010587404603493UL » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Thank you IanS for the advice.

I think I will do as you suggest and stick with DXO. After all it is cheaper and more responsive to customers' needs.
NN636010587404603493UL
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby djb21au » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:24 am

Glad to know I'm not the only one waiting with bated breath every time there is an update wondering if this time the LX100M2 will finally be supported. Alas not. Once again I will contact support and log a feature request – something I suggest everyone on this post also do.

Last time I asked if there was anything I could do proactively to help this situation and the response was that they need a copy of the camera. I'm wondering if there is an oversight on Panasonic's part in not sending them a copy of the LX100M2 as they have obviously sent other cameras since. I tried to contact Panasonic directly but trying to find the right area within that global behemoth is nigh on impossible. Somewhere in Panasonic and/or PhaseOne there are individuals who could solve this issue in five minutes, but who knows how to find them.

Thanks for the tip on DXO. Anything to avoid having to go back to Lightroom!
djb21au
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby GrahamB3 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:15 pm

NN636010587404603493UL wrote:My point here is that considering the high price tag of Capture One compared with competitor's you would expect that not only the quality of the product is higher but that also the needs of the paying customers (independently of whether they are professional or not, after all professionals` money is the same of "mere mortal" people`s money) such as camera support is given high attention.

I really hoped that the support would come in 12.03.22 Not yet. May some time in thew future.........


I suggest you open a help ticket with support.

PhaseOne obviously has limited resources, or each and every camera would be supported. One would think popularity of the camera model would determine support.

Capture One isn't the only game in town. If one isn't happy with their support choices, choose another vendor.
GrahamB3
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby djb21au » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 am

IanS wrote:
NN636010587404603493UL wrote: I use DXO-Photolab 2 in the interim and it does provide the advantage of much better noise reduction with PRIME noise reduction. I send the converted raw to C1Pro for final processing.
Ian


This is probably off topic (though not totally while we can't open our LX100M2 files in C1Pro). I'm trialling Photolab 2 and it does a nice job of the RAW conversion. Do you send the converted files to C1Pro as TIFFs?
djb21au
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby IanS » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:30 pm

djb21au wrote:
IanS wrote:
NN636010587404603493UL wrote: I use DXO-Photolab 2 in the interim and it does provide the advantage of much better noise reduction with PRIME noise reduction. I send the converted raw to C1Pro for final processing.
Ian


This is probably off topic (though not totally while we can't open our LX100M2 files in C1Pro). I'm trialling Photolab 2 and it does a nice job of the RAW conversion. Do you send the converted files to C1Pro as TIFFs?


I have been using Tif as I have been using a dng colour profile from Huelight (https://www.colorfidelity.com/) but you can also use DNG - DNG doesn't fix the colour space. I have found it more convenient to carry out the major tonal adjustments in DXO-PL 2 (local adjustments via NIK control points) so that as the shadows are raised, revealing more noise, then DXO's PRIME noise reduction can see it and deal with it. I also have the "lens distortion control" set at 90% and leave "keep aspect ratio" unticked. This gives a wider fov at 24mm. This is because the DXO lens corrections allow you to access the true fov of the lens rather than the cropped jpg version.

Ian
IanS
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby djb21au » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:40 am

Perfect. Thanks Ian. Accessing the full field of view was/is a treat that C1Pro provides with the original LX100 RAW files, so hopefully that functionality will extend to the LX100M2 when it is eventually supported.
djb21au
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby NN636010587404603493UL » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 am

In reply to the Postby GrahamB3

You missed the point here. I know there are other alternatives on the market and, in fact I have switched already. My point is that given the very high price tag of Capture One you would expect better Customer awareness and better/faster camera support than competitors products costing much less and providing almost similar output quality.
NN636010587404603493UL
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby GrahamB3 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:19 pm

NN636010587404603493UL wrote:In reply to the Postby GrahamB3

You missed the point here. I know there are other alternatives on the market and, in fact I have switched already. My point is that given the very high price tag of Capture One you would expect better Customer awareness and better/faster camera support than competitors products costing much less and providing almost similar output quality.


C1 12.1 supports Panasonic LX 100 MII
GrahamB3
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: Panasonic LX 100 MII

Postby djb21au » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 am

C1 12.1 supports Panasonic LX 100 MII


So it does! Hallelujah! We got there in the end.

On the upside some of us have got to know DXO Photolabs 2 along the way, which is a useful tool in itself.
djb21au
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Next

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests