Feature request - GPU Acceleration for preview generation

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Re: Feature request - GPU Acceleration for preview generatio

Postby C-M-B » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:50 pm

I didn't mean they should dump the concept - I actually like the fact that the files and adjustments are not stored in a database.

_BUT_ they could simply do both. Have a real session file with the previews stored inside to instantly display everything - and when you edit an image store the setting just like they're doring right now inside the CaptureOne folder.

The problem is that when you're working on sessions on a NAS or anything that has a slower read/write/access rate, it gets to a point where it's nearly impossible to use.
When I open a session with 1-2k images on my SSD it reads about 110 images per second, so that takes 10-20 seconds to fully load and display.
On a NAS it reads about 5 images per second, so that would take 3-6 MINUTES.

That is ridiculous. That is abysmal. That is embarrassing.

I'd just prefer it if the files were kind of "indexed" with the thumbnails in the session file - so when you open the sessions file it'll display everything without any kind of delay. Keep the settings and the previews inside the CaptureOne folder by all means, so nothing gets lost if the Sessions file gets deleted.

But that efffin waiting for a session to open via NAS is just stupid.

And what's the purpose of creating a session for each shoot or project if the session file serves no real purpose to display the actual photos?
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:04 am

C-M-B wrote:I didn't mean they should dump the concept - I actually like the fact that the files and adjustments are not stored in a database.

_BUT_ they could simply do both. Have a real session file with the previews stored inside to instantly display everything - and when you edit an image store the setting just like they're doring right now inside the CaptureOne folder.

The problem is that when you're working on sessions on a NAS or anything that has a slower read/write/access rate, it gets to a point where it's nearly impossible to use.
When I open a session with 1-2k images on my SSD it reads about 110 images per second, so that takes 10-20 seconds to fully load and display.
On a NAS it reads about 5 images per second, so that would take 3-6 MINUTES.

That is ridiculous. That is abysmal. That is embarrassing.

I'd just prefer it if the files were kind of "indexed" with the thumbnails in the session file - so when you open the sessions file it'll display everything without any kind of delay. Keep the settings and the previews inside the CaptureOne folder by all means, so nothing gets lost if the Sessions file gets deleted.

But that efffin waiting for a session to open via NAS is just stupid.

And what's the purpose of creating a session for each shoot or project if the session file serves no real purpose to display the actual photos?

Yep, a NAS is slow in my experience. But then it is slow loading data directly from a USB3 disk as well - or at least mine is.

Now I will admit that the drives - recommended for NAS use - are only 5400rpm but it's a NAS with a single device communicating with it most of the time so that really should not be an issue. But it is.

If I am doing some casual work on a session that I have already archived to the NAS I can live with the performance once it is loaded.

Usually.

But it I'm still doing heavy editing I keep the session on an internal drive (or sometimes an external USB3 drive though they are compromised to some extent I find) and then I don;t have a problem unless I have allowed free disk capacity to drop extremely low OR I am running multiple applications that have between them used most of the system memory. Or, sometimes, both.

But I think that in part those are exactly the issues that Phase have addressed by pre-loading the previews into memory.

An alternative is for an apparently quick load is to load only on demand and use a very small selection at first open. Then hide all subsequent on-demand loads behind some apparent on-screen activity.

Since we see, from time to time, comments about C1 being slower than brand x and then others saying C1 is faster than brand x I can only assume that the factors involved - including the design concepts behind the architecture decisions - are either producing random apparent performance machine by machine, day by day for some reason OR each application has different strengths and weaknesses in the way it is intended to work and different workflows induce different perceptions about performance by the users. Or something along those lines.

Grant
SFA

Postby C-M-B » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:47 am

okay, let's just take Adobe Bridge as an example. When I go to a folder on my NAS that I have never opened before with AB it instantly displays ALL images and then takes only a few seconds to render the thumbnails.
And if i click on one it instantly displays a preview.

So obviously my NAS is fast enough and it is possible to work on a NAS. Heck even with Photoshop I can open multiple large files (1GB-3GB), edit them and save them via NAS rather quickly.

I just don't think there's an excuse for a program to take that long just to display files, especially when programs that have never even accessed the same files are able to display and render them in just a fraction of the same time.

I like Capture One but I'm not blind.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:15 am

C-M-B wrote:okay, let's just take Adobe Bridge as an example. When I go to a folder on my NAS that I have never opened before with AB it instantly displays ALL images and then takes only a few seconds to render the thumbnails.
And if i click on one it instantly displays a preview.

So obviously my NAS is fast enough and it is possible to work on a NAS. Heck even with Photoshop I can open multiple large files (1GB-3GB), edit them and save them via NAS rather quickly.

I just don't think there's an excuse for a program to take that long just to display files, especially when programs that have never even accessed the same files are able to display and render them in just a fraction of the same time.

I like Capture One but I'm not blind.

I've never used AB so I can't comment on that but I do recall working with early LR V1 and comparing it to the editor I favoured back then wondering why LR seemed to relatively fast and the other editor so relatively slow on screen at the time.

The answer appeared to be the way the process was presented.

LR would apparently show instant results but if one looked carefully after the initial screen update there were still changes rippling through the screen and, on the machine I was using back then probably mostly for jpg editing at the time, about 3 seconds elapsed before the change and save process completed. That was using the local C: drive.

Using what came to be my preferred editor and applying as close as I could get to the same adjustments the screen showed no changes until all of the adjustments were written at the end of processing in one update - which took about 3 seconds. So far as I could measure and for all practical purposes there was no difference in processing time to the point where my next instruction was accepted but LR looked faster in that iteration. I assume that AB, PS and other members of the family are likely to use the same design philosophy - possibly even the same code.

For both of those application one had to be sure to save the file of course. With C1 almost all edits are automatically saved as part of the process, the exception being things like Keystone correction where the probable processing overhead and the nature of the change makes it logical to work with a preview file (although 4k and 5k size previews probably negate the benefit) to make the visible overview adjustment and then apply the change when happy with it rather than make a lot of micro changes automatically while achieving the desired alignment.

The challenge, of course, is that external USB drive and even NAS boxes and whatever the chosen spec of drives in them, tend to deliver much better data transfer rate for large files than small ones but the trade off is the balance between how much data one needs to move between disk and memory and back to disk to record the changes.

Writing to the Temp files on the local disk is likely to be equally fast (for practical purpose of human perception) in both cases. Updating the edits on an external drive in near real time rather than when instructed may give a different perception and is, perhaps, a process with broader considerations than simply perceived elapsed time.

And, of course, there are many other factors that might or might not be in play when using an external drive - especially a NAS which is likely to have a lot of internal file management going on to compete with external date delivery requests.

Grant
SFA

Postby C-M-B » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:15 pm

You still don't understand the issue.

The issue is that when you open a session ist starts to populate the window very slowly with images. :roll:

I'm pretty sure it's not outlandish to ask for those files to remain in the session window and to not always start with an empty window all over again.

What I would like to have is a session file with a kind of index of the last opened folder with all the photos and thumbnails already included, that would make opening and browsing through a session a breeze.

But right now the sessions file is completely useless as everything (and I do mean everything) is stored in other files anyway.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:25 pm

C-M-B wrote:What I would like to have is a session file with a kind of index of the last opened folder with all the photos and thumbnails already included, that would make opening and browsing through a session a breeze.

But right now the sessions file is completely useless as everything (and I do mean everything) is stored in other files anyway.

It would still have to load into memory (assuming the session was not already running) which is what it is doing.

Very similar to a hibernating computer (re-loading its last working state from a "disk image") compared to a total re-boot or standby mode - which is reliant on using power so OK for a desktop but not quite as reliably useful for the intended effect if using a notebook.

On my system, usually but with some slight dependence on what I was doing last, what you describe as your 'would like to have' is pretty much what I get more often than not. To some ectent it is likely to depend on the last action I took before closing the session.

FWIW I nearly always close the session using the "Close Window" option.

I have no real tested indication about whether that makes a difference but I use it because I often have multiple session open and usually wish to close them one at a time.

Grant
SFA

Postby C-M-B » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Yes. It would. But that would not take as much time (or disk access) as loading every single file/thumbnail.

If you open a database (=Session) it would be very stupid to first open the database and then fetch every individual value (=image/thumnail) one after the other. It would make more sense to open the whole database at once.

If the Session-File contains the thumbnails and an index of the session files, it will be bigger.
Maybe 300MB (in reality it would be less because it doesn't need to load all the preview files at once, it just needs to display the files and their thumbnails at once).
That would take 3 seconds to open over a 1Gb/s NAS and a 5400 rpm HDD would be even faster instead of 6 minutes.
That would be less than 1 second on a SSD, even an external USB3 SSD instead of 20 seconds.

Right now it's a very slow, cumbersome and ressource-intense process and absolutely unnecessary.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

And would that include presenting the data in the file as an image?

When you make a change to an image do you have to write the entire 300MB (or whatever) file back to disk for real time updating or just parts of it in something similar to single image updates?

Having loaded a preview record for viewing let's say you decide to edit it according to the latest system settings. How long would be acceptable to wait for the image to be re=presented? After editing, how long would be acceptable to update the revised preview once you have submitted to to be saved?

Let's take an example.

I sometime use Faststone, notably for quick viewing of processed jpgs since I don't want to read them in C1.

But lets use it, as I do on the road if I have not travelled with the notebook and C1, as a RAW presenter.

So I open a folder containing about 1700 RAW files (that it supports). Not big files by modern standards bt good enough for this purpose. The folder is on an internal 1Tb SSD that is SATA3 capable but happens to be running in a SATA 2 slot - so half speed but in effect that makes very little to no difference in perceived performance.

It takes about 10 to 15 seconds to present me with a screen and a thumbnail strip of the first 10 images plus the first image presented in full screen (more or less), that being an extraction of the embedded jpg from the RAW file. If I scroll to the next image the full screen takes about half to a full second to display. BUt that's just the enbedded jpg.

I can apply some edits to the image a tool at a time making the adjustments and deciding whether I want to keep them. If I do keep the them the change seems to be written to a work file and I can move to another tool.

Once I have finished all of my changes I am asked if I wish to save the file. If I choose to do so the application takes a few seconds to create a jpg with the applied changes.

The settings suggest that the current values are set for intermediate performance. I can slow things down by changing some settings related, for example, to colour management os speed things up by otping to work with small or lower resolution files.

Although the application has some edit capabilities there seems to be nothing related to saving edits for RAW files for future work - other than saving the results as a new file, defaulting to jpg.

It is meant to be a Viewer with some one-off editing capabilities that are somewhat similar to basic photo/graphics edits so this is no surprise and not a criticism.

It does appear to be quite fast as a rapid displayer of quite a large number of files BUT if editing is to be performed the work involved using the tools will likely result in a slower overall experience come what may. (Ignore the lack of saved edit file for the RAW and re-use. That is not what this post is attempting to illustrate.

Now, if you have an example of a program that is both fast for loading and display AND for the entire editing experience I would be interested to experience it. So far I have not found that combination that always stands out form the crowd in every aspect nor have I read any suggestions about such a development in this forum of from any other sources.

If such a thing exists - great! Please advise where to find it - especially if is can run on some sort of PC.

Thanks in advance.

Grant

I would like to experience it.
SFA

Postby C-M-B » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 pm

Writing 300MB (only when closing!) would not be a big deal and in ANY case that would be very fast.

So I can't really take that as an excuse, sorry. And as I said, 300MB was just an example, in reality it would be way less (considering that the file list/index is basically a text saying "THAT FILE EXISTED HERE THE LAST TIME YOU CLOSED THIS SESSION, SO WE'LL SHOW IT TO YOU". And thumbnails don't take any space at all.

I just checked a session with 2.2k images. Thumbnail size: 22MB.

So really, my estimated 300MB were really exaggerated and off by a factor of more than 10 ;-)

I think writing 22 - or maybe 25 (with the index) MB to the disk after you close a session isn't too much to ask for. More space activity happens when you open a session and it's being populated.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:45 am

C-M-B wrote:Writing 300MB (only when closing!) would not be a big deal and in ANY case that would be very fast.

So I can't really take that as an excuse, sorry. And as I said, 300MB was just an example, in reality it would be way less (considering that the file list/index is basically a text saying "THAT FILE EXISTED HERE THE LAST TIME YOU CLOSED THIS SESSION, SO WE'LL SHOW IT TO YOU". And thumbnails don't take any space at all.

I just checked a session with 2.2k images. Thumbnail size: 22MB.

So really, my estimated 300MB were really exaggerated and off by a factor of more than 10 ;-)

I think writing 22 - or maybe 25 (with the index) MB to the disk after you close a session isn't too much to ask for. More space activity happens when you open a session and it's being populated.

Thumbnails, on my system and for my files, are about 20 to 30 KB. So on my system the folder size for something over 1700 images is about 35MB or just over 38MB "on disk".

The Preview files for Focus mapping in the Proxies folder are about double that and the entire size with the relevant Preview files is 1.16GB for about 3600 files. My resolution setting is for 1920 pixels are per my scree size.

The file or files would only still be in memory for any given session if you have an enormous capacity of non-volatile memory (i.e. duplicated disk usage) which, for archived records, would seem excessive.

However you have reminded me that, using the temporary file storage on the C drive, another application I have used some years ago, developed by a team who had found renown at the time creating high speed database methods, used a predefined and allocated section of disk (about 5GB back then as I recall - OK for jpgs but not much capacity for RAW files) to retain the fies that had been previously worked upon. This was basically a session workflow without the management aspects for the grouping of files by the application.

As the storage filled up they used an algorithm to decide which 'old' file in the temp folder was likely to be the best one to overwrite next time space was needed.

The result was a fully used 5GB of disk at all times and the potential for a perceived slower response when the temp folder needed to be tidied up and files deleted before the next file could be created. It was cleverly done but still have the potential to appear slow, compared to earlier in the same edit session for example, if it had decided to remove files one was just getting back to working with.

The nature of a session is a bit variable for retaining the sort of file you suggested. It sort of makes more sense for a catalogue and indeed that is more or less what it has. But then there are still the potential differences between the current editing activity settings and the previous one and the potential load time delay of having the catalogue folder structure on an external drive or NAS. But than one is still dealing with data files note rendered display images and if Proofing or displaying watermarks the calculations and settings are not saved anyway since they are likely to be highly variable for many users.

You best bet, as mentioned before, is to not close the edit activity unless you have to and if you really want to shut down use the hibernat mode - which will save the current state of play to disk much as you are suggesting.

Grant
SFA

Postby C-M-B » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Grant, please read carefully what I want.

I'm not asking for all the previews do be loaded at once. I just want alle the photos to show up in the browser so when you're looking for one image you won't have to wait for 6 minutes until the browser viewer is populated.

That only requires the use of thumbnails and a list of the images that have been there the last time.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:26 pm

C-M-B wrote:Grant, please read carefully what I want.

I'm not asking for all the previews do be loaded at once. I just want alle the photos to show up in the browser so when you're looking for one image you won't have to wait for 6 minutes until the browser viewer is populated.

That only requires the use of thumbnails and a list of the images that have been there the last time.

I understand what you seem to want but it seems rather specific if it goes beyond what you should be seeing anyway.

There are probably a couple of thousand alternative opinions about what should be displayed. And how it should be displayed.

Is it worth re-writing all the code around a different concept just for that? Is it even feasible?

How would you want to deaal with the situations when for some reason you did not, by default, want to see what you were last working on and to do so automatically would be wasting your time?

Grant
SFA

Postby C-M-B » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Yes.
C-M-B

Postby C-M-B » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:34 pm

Look, I'm not tryin to be annoying but just picture this:

I have selected images from the session with the 2.200 photos, given them stars and color codes to easily find them. I filter the session to only display the green ones. There are 11 of them.

I close the session.

I open the session again and have to wait for 20 second for it to slowly display 11 images. :roll:

That's just ridiculous.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm

20 seconds?

Filtering is similar to using a dynamic smart album - though I think it may be possible that a smart album might shave a few seconds from the start up time.

As an alternative, select all of the images you want to return to just before you elect to close C1 and create a regular (indexed) album rather than a dynamic album.

Close the session/catalogue.

When you next open it is should start from where you last left it - with the newly created and directly linked and indexed album of the specific images you want to see on re-start.

Once you have finessed the process you should be able to save a few seconds every time you open a C1 session or catalogue .

You will have saved developers,testers and documenters untold hours writing code that tries to second guess what a user wishes to do when they open ... something. For some purpose.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 12.x Software