Can previews be saved to a session?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Can previews be saved to a session?

Postby jasonholtphoto » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering if previews can be saved to a session?
I shoot tethered into my laptop and then transfer the session to another machine for editing.
If the previews were already rendered and saved to the session it would save time.

Hopefully my question is clear - I look forward to any words of advise.
Thank you.

J
jasonholtphoto

Re: Can previews be saved to a session?

Postby C-M-B » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm

I feel the same way but Phase One support doesnt... so nope, previews are never saved :-/
C-M-B

Postby jasonholtphoto » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Shame. Thanks for replying though!
jasonholtphoto

Postby Ian3 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:09 pm

Is that right? In a session, previews are the .cop files in the folder

[Session folder]>Capture>Capture One>Cache>Proxies subfolder. So if you copy the whole session folder over, the previews are included.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:56 pm

jasonholtphoto wrote:Hi,
I'm wondering if previews can be saved to a session?
I shoot tethered into my laptop and then transfer the session to another machine for editing.
If the previews were already rendered and saved to the session it would save time.

Hopefully my question is clear - I look forward to any words of advise.
Thank you.

J

How do you transfer the session?

Are both machines Windows systems?

Grant
SFA

Postby C-M-B » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Ian3 wrote:Is that right? In a session, previews are the .cop files in the folder

[Session folder]>Capture>Capture One>Cache>Proxies subfolder. So if you copy the whole session folder over, the previews are included.

Ian

They are still always re-loaded and recreated, which is especially annoying when using Capture One Sessions over a NAS.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:10 am

C-M-B wrote:
Ian3 wrote:Is that right? In a session, previews are the .cop files in the folder

Ian

They are still always re-loaded and recreated, which is especially annoying when using Capture One Sessions over a NAS.

Working memory will be cleared if a session is closed. People would complain if not.

Opening a session means that the previews are reloaded. NAS devices, in my experience, are not especially quick at servicing a loot of small files. They do better with big ones. In general this is true of any external drives. It may or may not be improved with the very latest drives and external device connections but I don't know if the theory and real world results would match up to such claims as I don't have any of the latest devices and I suspect if I did my hardware would not get the best out of them.

Internally, once the preview has hit the working memory C1 may need to deal with a a number of other matters (including adjusting the size of the display to match the current screen if the preview was not saved in a size that matches the "native" resolution currently employed) before the previews are ready to be displayed according to the settings of the current session. Or, more importantly perhaps, according to the settings of C1 as it is currently running no matter how many sessions are open ... at that point discussion of further implications may get a little complicated - too complicated for this response.

What C1 is attempting to do at the point of load to memory is so put as many images, represented by preview files as saves PLUS the application of any currently active local settings - overlays and Proof values being examples if they are in use would be 2 examples - so that activity after the load is complete is as fast and fluid as the system hardware/firmware, its current settings and the user's editing technique and preferences will allow.

Or at least that is my understanding of what is going on based on observations as I work with the system - usually using sessions containing several hundred to several thousand images.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows