Importinga Session into a catalog and folders are skipped?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Importinga Session into a catalog and folders are skipped?

Postby NN635705310764820168UL » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:49 pm

I'm trying to consolidate many seperate sessions into a master catalog so I can sort and search across multiple events. Some sessions import just fine while others will sometimes miss Capture folders or individual images or settings. It seems to be random. I've so far take the steps to verify and open each session before I import and even tried repair on a couple sessions as needed. Is there another methodology or something I am missing in the settings? Are my sessions corrupted and need something more than the built in repair? The sessions are on a NAS drive and the catalog is on a secondary hard drive inside the tower.....
NN635705310764820168UL

Re: Importinga Session into a catalog and folders are skippe

Postby IanL » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:12 pm

I don't think there are any settings that would cause something like this - it definitely sounds wrong. I do this regularly - I work in a session and then once I'm done my basic editing I import them into the catalogue. I have not noticed any problems. Mine are all on a single external drive.

I would open a support case for this.
IanL

Postby SFA » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:45 pm

Sessions can be used in quite a flexible way so it is worth considering the possibility that such flexibility is related to what you are seeing.

Firstly are all of the folders (and more importantly their images) you use for each session saved within the session's default folder structure?

If some are not is it safe to assume that the folders are identified as "Favourites" within the session?

Do you perhaps sometimes navigate to a folder and edit a file or two but NOT add the folder to the session as a favourite?

Do you have images in the Trash folder? Or in the Selects folder?

Are you also importing the Output folder?

Is there any pattern the might indicate what sort of files (and folders) are being missed?

Could you try, as an experiment for diagnostic purposes, copying a session to your internal drive and then try adding it to the catalogue from there? Also do you always have problems with the same sessions?

My NAS drive seems to be usable (but not very fast) most of the time but there are occasions when I suspect it is preoccupied with its own admin activities when comms speed becomes erratic (to say the least) and sometime strange things can happen with file transfers. No problem if it is doing it storage housekeeping work at it will resolve the matter in its own time, but it's not so good if editing or dealing with another application that expects a process step to have finished within a short period and if it has not is will abandon the file.

Have you checked the Log files? I don't know what they report for the sort of task you are undertaking but I guess there will be something to provide some form of guidance.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635705310764820168UL » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:03 am

Ian, that is the workflow I am aiming for. I shoot racing events on the road and use Sessions for import and sorting. I had been doing editing there as well, but many of my customers want me to search across multiple events. When I first started with C1P I thought the two workflows were mutually exclusive but have since learned of the session/catalog hybrid. I may open a support case for this if the other suggestions fail me.

Grant, thanks for all the input:

--All of the folders and images ARE saved in the default Session folders. I start in Capture and sort out using colored labels, then move all the "keepers" to Selects. I remove the 5 Star Album as it is not something I use

-- I leave all images in those 2 folders and always empty the trash when an event is considered "Completed"

-- I am importing the Session file, and the Trash folder is ALWAYS skipped. Images do reside in the Selects folder and that one usually comes across just fine

-- Most times the Output folder comes in. I haven't noticed it being missing yet

-- Almost always it is the Capture Album that is missing. Sometimes it will be completely not there, sometimes it will be there but be empty and other times it all works just right.

--I will try your experiment on a separate copy of the Catalog to see what happens with one of the troublesome sessions. I haven't checked the log files qwhich I admit is a failing on my part, but I need to find where to open them. The log window opens when a real error occurs but does not open when this happens.

Thank you both for the help. In the interim, I have resorted to importing folders, which seems to bring all edits, tagging, and keywording in and recreating the afflicted album manually. Not ideal, but it is helping. Would like to find an answer before I make my next catalog. Thanks for the help
NN635705310764820168UL

Postby SFA » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:57 am

The log files will be somewhere like (This is WIn 7 but I believe 10 is the same)

C:\Users\[User name]\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Logs

However as I use sessions and don't currently import into catalogues (other than for experiments once in a while) I'm not sure what you may find and where amongst the log files.

By Capture Album do you mean the Capture Folder?

Do you actually capture (or import) files directly to that folder in the session file structure or to sub-folders within that folder?

Now something a little trickier perhaps ....

C1, when you create a Session will create a "physical" folder in storage named "Capture".

HOWEVER, C1 allows the concept of a capture folder to be VIRTUAL and you can re-assign the "Capture Folder" label association to be somewhere else. Basically any other folder that was accessible at the time the re-assignment was made. It could be in another drive or another device on a network. That folder may not be a "Favourite" folder and so may not be associated with the session folder structure.

(And of course you can also edit images on any folder without them being imported at all or Favourited but in that case there may be no session links at all to the images in the cosessiondb file. Any edits performed will be still be stored in subfolders under the image folders of course but there would be no connection to them through the cosession file when attempting a session import. Nor would they appear if you open the session if they are not favourite folders UNLESS you nagivagate to them directly.

However if you had processed Output and that was in the "in session folder structure" default folder (or subfolders) then you probably would expect to see the output files. Just not the originals.

Now this all sounds rather complicated but it is actually quite simple and logical once one gets one's head around it.

I have no idea whether this might be a factor in what you are seeing BUT it sort of sounds possible that it could be in some way so may be worth spending a couple of minutes just checking that possibility. )

Parts of this may sound rather confusing. It is in fact quite simple but as will all options may not seems so at first experience. Anyway, see where these thoughts take you an we can progress from there.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635705310764820168UL » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:14 pm

The log files will be somewhere like (This is WIn 7 but I believe 10 is the same)

C:\Users\[User name]\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Logs

PERFECT! Thanks

By Capture Album do you mean the Capture Folder?

Do you actually capture (or import) files directly to that folder in the session file structure or to sub-folders within that folder?

When I import, I leave all the session folders set to default since my workflow really jives with how they are set up. I import directly into the Capture folder, which adds them to the Capture Album while applying a couple metadata presets and a basic style

Now something a little trickier perhaps ....

C1, when you create a Session will create a "physical" folder in storage named "Capture".

HOWEVER, C1 allows the concept of a capture folder to be VIRTUAL and you can re-assign the "Capture Folder" label association to be somewhere else. Basically any other folder that was accessible at the time the re-assignment was made. It could be in another drive or another device on a network. That folder may not be a "Favourite" folder and so may not be associated with the session folder structure.

I had been aware of this functionality, but never tried other folders for those labels. Originally I was working on external portable drives on location, so the default setup being self contained seemed like a logical choice. My needs are changing so I am adapting to the Catalog after the event is over and posted.

(And of course you can also edit images on any folder without them being imported at all or Favourited but in that case there may be no session links at all to the images in the cosessiondb file. Any edits performed will be still be stored in subfolders under the image folders of course but there would be no connection to them through the cosession file when attempting a session import. Nor would they appear if you open the session if they are not favourite folders UNLESS you nagivagate to them directly.

I try not to edit in folders directly. The session logic seems so perfect, i usually just highlight the Virtual Album in the upper left.

I am copying a set of sessions to my internal drive that I have known to have the issue to see if this helps. And I'll be looking at the logs once i get a chance to. Thanks so much
NN635705310764820168UL

Postby David532 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:11 pm

I am sure you know all this but just in case this link may be useful https://blog.phaseone.com/sessions-catalogs-get-the-best-of-both-worlds/

Dave
David532

Postby David532 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:35 pm

David532 wrote:I am sure you know all this but just in case this link may be useful https://blog.phaseone.com/sessions-catalogs-get-the-best-of-both-worlds/

Dave

In playing around with importing sessions into catalogs using the File/Import Session function I followed the advice in the link in my previous post and moved the session folder to its final location (I was simulating having a session of my next holiday on a portable drive attached to my small laptop, then attaching that portable drive to my main computer and moving the session to my main hard drive). With the session in its final location I imported the session using File/Import Session into my main catalog.
While in the session on the small laptop I had moved some pictures to the selects folder, output a few to the Outputs folder, key-worded all the files (only a dozen in this experiment) and made various edits.
Having Imported into my catalog the pictures were all present and correct in the folder structure in the three sub folders Capture (with further date sub-folder}, Output and Selects. All good, searches on keywords work ok etc.
The confusing thing is that a virtual user collection has been set up with a session folder called capture with nothing in it, selects with the selected items in and output with the jpegs I created in. Also there are Albums including one called All Images with everything in. All very confusing so I deleted them :twisted: All my pictures are still there as above and I can do all the catalog functions with them, I have not lost any edits, key-wording, color tagging or ratings.
David532

Postby NN635705310764820168UL » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:42 pm

David532 wrote:I am sure you know all this but just in case this link may be useful https://blog.phaseone.com/sessions-catalogs-get-the-best-of-both-worlds/

Dave

Dave, this article is what inspired me to do this. And it seems you have the opposite issue of extra collections and albums appearing.

I tried moving the session to the internal hard drive and have the same issue. I think maybe these sessions are damaged somehow. My plan of attack is to get everything into the catalog and double check all the metadata and go from there.
NN635705310764820168UL

Postby David532 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:31 pm

NN635705310764820168UL wrote:

Dave

Dave, this article is what inspired me to do this. And it seems you have the opposite issue of extra collections and albums appearing.

I tried moving the session to the internal hard drive and have the same issue. I think maybe these sessions are damaged somehow. My plan of attack is to get everything into the catalog and double check all the metadata and go from there.

The procedure I have firmed up on is
1. Use session when away on trip, the session is saved on a portable SSD and the capture folder is split into dated sub-folders.
2. Do edits, key wording etc. on files opened directly from the dated sub folders in the Capture folder in system folders not any of the user collections.
3. I don't make use of output folder (David Gower says he does but does not import it into his catalog).
4. Connect the SSD to my home computer and use File/Import Images (NOT File/Import Session) to import the files in the Capture folder on the SSD, in the import dialog I identify the final location for the pictures, re-name if necessary and most importantly make sure "Include Existing Adjustments" is ticked.
This procedure looses some of the advantages of using Sessions but does allow me to weed out unwanted images and do initial key-wording and editing while on the trip.
David532

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows