levels

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

levels

Postby Pareshk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi - I'm still on version 11 but it looks like this has taken its place?

What is the difference in the levels tool between the upper and the lower controls, in practical terms? ie how do the input & output values each affect my image differently? Which should I use? thanks.
Paresh
Sony Rx 100 camera
Win 7
Pareshk

Re: levels

Postby cdc » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Simply using the Levels tool upper and lower controls will show you exactly what they do, I'd suggest searching for to Levels tutorials so you can get an understanding of why you'd want to make adjustments using the levels tool. You can also search for photoshop levels tutorials as it essentially works the same except the upper controls in CO are labelled output levels in photoshop.

With the upper controls you can change the black/white point from black to some shade of grey, so black never truly reaches black (RGB 0,0,0), and white never truly reaches white (RGB 255, 255, 255).

The lower controls increase contrast and move the black/white points towards the midtones, the lower middle control point adds are removes contrast to the midtones.
cdc

Re: levels

Postby Pareshk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks very much!
Paresh
Sony Rx 100 camera
Win 7
Pareshk

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows