duplicate album, different adjustment

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

duplicate album, different adjustment

Postby NNN636786970458689040 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Is it possible to duplicen an album, rearrange the sequence of the pictures and – more important to me – make different adjustments, that don't change the pictures in the source album?
NNN636786970458689040

Re: duplicate album, different adjustment

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:54 pm

You need to use variants to do this. A variant of an image can appear in more than one Album - for example an image of your dog could be in both a Family album and an Animals album. Changing the exposure, say, of the image, whether you do it form the actual folder it lives in, or the Family album, or the Animals album will change it everywhere. But you can create a second variant of the image and put only Variant 1 in the Family album and Variant 2 in the Animals album, and adjust them independently. Go to the actual folder, and you will see both, with their different adjustments.

Ian
Ian3

Postby IanL » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Wait what???!!!??!!
I have been unable it have one variant appear in one album and have a second variant appear in another album. It is the single biggest feature I want to see in C1. Are you mistaken? Or have they slipped this in?
IanL

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 pm

IanL wrote:Wait what???!!!??!!
I have been unable it have one variant appear in one album and have a second variant appear in another album. It is the single biggest feature I want to see in C1. Are you mistaken? Or have they slipped this in?

Smart Album.
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:37 pm

Ah - my mistake. You can do it with Smart Albums, not with regular albums. So you could give say a red tag to one variant, and a blue tag to the other, and have Smart Albums for red and blue.

Apologies.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 pm

Ian3 wrote:

Ah - my mistake. You can do it with Smart Albums, not with regular albums. So you could give say a red tag to one variant, and a blue tag to the other, and have Smart Albums for red and blue.

Apologies.

Ian

Or Keyword or other data of course .... but I only add this for completeness and the benefit of new users who stumble across this thread at some future point.
SFA

Postby NNN636786970458689040 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:17 am

Thaks for the replies. Intelligent albums do the trick, more or less. I have to make variants (easy: F8) and the I have to mark the variants with another color, one by one (laborius), and open an intelligent album. In my particular workflow, I always want to have adjustable variants of whole albums, which can contain a lot of pictures, by avarage about 150. Marking them one by one is a lot of work.

I'm coming from lightroom, where this is very easy to achieve with no workaround. Having two or more versions of an album (collection in lightroom), where the images are idependently adjustable is just a click of a checkbox.
NNN636786970458689040

Postby SFA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 pm

NNN636786970458689040 wrote:Thaks for the replies. Intelligent albums do the trick, more or less. I have to make variants (easy: F8) and the I have to mark the variants with another color, one by one (laborius), and open an intelligent album. In my particular workflow, I always want to have adjustable variants of whole albums, which can contain a lot of pictures, by avarage about 150. Marking them one by one is a lot of work.

I'm coming from lightroom, where this is very easy to achieve with no workaround. Having two or more versions of an album (collection in lightroom), where the images are idependently adjustable is just a click of a checkbox.

Personally I use keywords rather than colour tags.

Once you have selected the images for which you wish to create variants it should be possible to select all of the newly created variants (Which should be pre-selected after creation) and tag them. keyword them or whatever yo choose to do. One activity rather than individually. Make sure that "Edit all selected variants" is active.

If your process also happens to mean that the variants all have the same variant number (i.e. they are all in the same 'position' in the variant stack) you can select on the position as well. Just bear in mind that you cannot 'lock' the position so some care is required to ensure successfully managed variants if using position alone. Easy for some well organised folks, maybe not so easy for those with a more impulsive approach!

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby IanL » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:09 pm

SFA wrote:

Smart Album.

I see - so close. Hopefully one day we can do it with dumb albums too.
IanL

Postby NNN636786970458689040 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Thanks Grant and all the others!

It works and it is a good idea to work with keywords instead of colors and stars, this opens up a wider range of possibilities.

But anyways, it's a pity that we have to use a workaround for such a simple feature.

Anyways too, C1 is a great software and I'm gonna stick with it rather than LR, nobody's perfect :)
NNN636786970458689040

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows