How to move catalog to new drive?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

How to move catalog to new drive?

Postby NNN636669223095468104 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:45 pm

I'm using Capture One 12 Sony Express on Windows 10, 64 bit.

Currently, my catalog is within my images folder. Recently, I moved the location of my images folder though to a new drive, so I also need to move the location of the CaptureOne catalog, but I don't see any option. I tried deleting the old catalog folder, hoping that the software would prompt me to choose a new location, but without success. The software keeps creating its catalog files in that old location. Within the software, there are options for verifying the current catalog, backup, etc., but I don't see any way to move the catalog's location. I even tried to delete the software preferences in AppData\Local\, but even that didn't help. Please help!
NNN636669223095468104

Re: How to move catalog to new drive?

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:50 pm

You could

- close C1

- move the catalog file to wherever you want it to be

- open C1 again.

All the folders etc will be "offline" so you will need to use the Locate command to tell C1 where to find them again.

The better strategy from where you started off, would have been to open the catalog as it was (in the images folder) then move the folders of images from the existing drive to the new drive using the Library tool in C1, NOT Windows Explorer. That way, C1 sees to moving them on disk and keeps track of where they have gone as it goes along.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN636669223095468104 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Ian3 wrote:You could

- close C1

- open C1 again.

All the folders etc will be "offline" so you will need to use the Locate command to tell C1 where to find them again.

The better strategy from where you started off, would have been to open the catalog as it was (in the images folder) then move the folders of images from the existing drive to the new drive using the Library tool in C1, NOT Windows Explorer. That way, C1 sees to moving them on disk and keeps track of where they have gone as it goes along.

Ian

My catalog is empty, so I can't really relocate anything. I usually just load the pictures I want to edit into the software while keeping the pictures at their original location, edit them, and them remove them from the software. As I mentioned, the problem was that even if I completely delete the catalog, C1 just recreates the catalog in that location where I don't want it to be.

Anyway, by now, I found a solution to this: In C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData, besides the 'CaptureOne' folder, there's also a 'Phase_One' folder. Deleting that folder makes C1 forget the catalog location and the software (the Express version) creates a new catalog inside your default Windows Pictures folder now, i.e. the new location. If the desired location for the catalog is different, then one can open that 'Phase_One' folder, and keep opening the folders inside until a file called 'user.config' appears. This file can be opened with any editor like Notepad++, for example, and there the current location of the catalog is listed, so carefully editing that location will probably make C1 to acknowledge the new location you enter.
NNN636669223095468104

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 pm

NNN636669223095468104 wrote:
Ian3 wrote:You could

- close C1

- open C1 again.

Ian

My catalog is empty, so I can't really relocate anything. I usually just load the pictures I want to edit into the software while keeping the pictures at their original location, edit them, and them remove them from the software. As I mentioned, the problem was that even if I completely delete the catalog, C1 just recreates the catalog in that location where I don't want it to be.

Anyway, by now, I found a solution to this: In C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData, besides the 'CaptureOne' folder, there's also a 'Phase_One' folder. Deleting that folder makes C1 forget the catalog location and the software (the Express version) creates a new catalog inside your default Windows Pictures folder now, i.e. the new location. If the desired location for the catalog is different, then one can open that 'Phase_One' folder, and keep opening the folders inside until a file called 'user.config' appears. This file can be opened with any editor like Notepad++, for example, and there the current location of the catalog is listed, so carefully editing that location will probably make C1 to acknowledge the new location you enter.

The Express version has certain limits as you probably know. On of them is that there can only be one catalogue (active). It's about keeping it simple I think.
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows