Files are Over Saturated

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Re: Files are Over Saturated

Postby C-M-B » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi Paul!

You could get something like a Colourchecker Passport and create your own profiles - or maybe a different Curve would be a solution for you?

For my PhaseOne Back I've found that "outdoor portrait" curve delivers much more neutral colours than the "Fash v2" curve - even though I'm using it for flash photography in a studio.
C-M-B

Postby Ian3 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:40 pm

The trouble is that there are not so many curves for most cameras.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN635018233259472077 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:12 pm

C-M-B wrote:Hi Paul!

You could get something like a Colourchecker Passport and create your own profiles - or maybe a different Curve would be a solution for you?

For my PhaseOne Back I've found that "outdoor portrait" curve delivers much more neutral colours than the "Fash v2" curve - even though I'm using it for flash photography in a studio.

HI C-M-B,

I figured out how to generate the ICC with with X-Rite passport, but I'm not entirely sure how to use it after it's done. In the Color panel I select the new ICC in the Base Characteristics ICC Profile drop down box, but do I leave the Curve section to Auto or Linear? Also, do I leave the White Balance to Shot or something else?

One more thing, can I adjust the exposure in the color checker file before I create the TIFF? For example, let's say I over or under exposure the color checker and make the corrections in CO before exporting the image. Will that affect the overall look and accuracy of the ICC?

There are few profiles to choose from for the D810. The option to set default settings with my own adjustments might be the best option. I've set a preset and I'll see if that will work.

That's for the advice.

Paul
NNN635018233259472077

Postby C-M-B » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Well White Balance naturally depends on your light, so change it to whater suits your light source (and the final image) best.

Same goes for the curve - genereally "Auto" should be the most usefull or at least a good starting point.

I think slight exposure variations aren't really that big of a deal - but I'd say just try and see whether you like the results. Experiment.

As long as your own profile delivers a better result and you can work with that's, you'll be alright
C-M-B

Postby NNN635018233259472077 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:02 am

In my pursuit of my on going efforts to figure out why all my D810 files look over saturated I think I may have found the solution. I downloaded a few photos today and there again the over saturation. I was fooling around with some alternate profiles and on a fluke, I chose No Color Correction and the curve to Auto. The Skin tones were perfect!!!!! I couldn't believe it!

Question, why selecting No Color Correction or Color View resolve this issue. Can Phase One address this question? What does No Color Correction actually do? I'm going to do more research on this but it looks like the solution to my issue.

Thought I'd share.

Paul
NNN635018233259472077

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:42 am

NNN635018233259472077 wrote:In my pursuit of my on going efforts to figure out why all my D810 files look over saturated I think I may have found the solution. I downloaded a few photos today and there again the over saturation. I was fooling around with some alternate profiles and on a fluke, I chose No Color Correction and the curve to Auto. The Skin tones were perfect!!!!! I couldn't believe it!

Question, why selecting No Color Correction or Color View resolve this issue. Can Phase One address this question? What does No Color Correction actually do? I'm going to do more research on this but it looks like the solution to my issue.

Thought I'd share.

Paul

Does this thread from a while back help explain?

http://forum.phaseone.com/en/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16106

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN635018233259472077 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Ian3 wrote:
NNN635018233259472077 wrote:In my pursuit of my on going efforts to figure out why all my D810 files look over saturated I think I may have found the solution. I downloaded a few photos today and there again the over saturation. I was fooling around with some alternate profiles and on a fluke, I chose No Color Correction and the curve to Auto. The Skin tones were perfect!!!!! I couldn't believe it!

Thought I'd share.

Paul

Does this thread from a while back help explain?

http://forum.phaseone.com/en/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16106

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the link! That was an awesome thread and explained about the color management pipeline within CO.

Sadly, that really doesn't resolve the issue of over saturation that I'm experiencing, but clearly explains the rationale behind using CO and using the base characteristic profiles. I've gone through all the Nikon profiles to see which one I liked the best, but I think I'm going to create a Style for my files and see if I can come up with one that works for me. Currently, the CO profile for the generic D810 is too saturated. My clients expect something normal or neutral and not what CO thinks is best. I wish CO would put out a profile that is less dramatic and allow us to add what we think is our look.

Thanks for digging that one up, very informative.

Paul
NNN635018233259472077

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:25 pm

Can you not create a preset that reduces saturation by, say, 15%, and apply that on import automatically?

Ian

Edited to add: or go to an image taken with the camera in question, reduce saturation by the desired amount, -15%, -20% or whatever, then click the ... on the exposure tool and choose set as default for [your camera name her].
Ian3

Postby NNN635018233259472077 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Ian3 wrote:Can you not create a preset that reduces saturation by, say, 15%, and apply that on import automatically?

Ian

Edited to add: or go to an image taken with the camera in question, reduce saturation by the desired amount, -15%, -20% or whatever, then click the ... on the exposure tool and choose set as default for [your camera name her].

Hi Ian,

Those two ideas to import my files with a preset is an awesome idea! I figured out how to do it too! I didn't know that I could do that at import. I will try and see it that technique works for me. I definitely want my workflow to be properly color managed.

Thanks for the help.

Paul
NNN635018233259472077

Previous

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows