From Capture one to Affinity

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

From Capture one to Affinity

Postby meyer999 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Is there a way around this:?

As far as I know, Capture One requires a traditional .exe file application to use the Open With feature. Due to the way Microsoft sandboxes and installs Apps through the Microsoft Store, I don't believe it's possible to open an 'App' through Capture One that's been downloaded from the Microsoft Store. (Affinity Photo app)
I'd recommend contacting Phase One and seeing if they have a workaround for this, as this comes down to their implementation of opening external programs.
Adrian
meyer999

Re: From Capture one to Affinity

Postby David532 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:15 pm

Don't you have to download and eventually pay for the full application from the affinity web site at https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/desktop/ to be able to do what you want?

Dave
David532

Postby IanS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am

Adrianjm@gmail.com wrote:Is there a way around this:?

As far as I know, Capture One requires a traditional .exe file application to use the Open With feature. Due to the way Microsoft sandboxes and installs Apps through the Microsoft Store, I don't believe it's possible to open an 'App' through Capture One that's been downloaded from the Microsoft Store. (Affinity Photo app)
I'd recommend contacting Phase One and seeing if they have a workaround for this, as this comes down to their implementation of opening external programs.

If that is true that is one mighty good reason not to buy an app through the Microsoft store! AP is not exactly expensive to buy from Affinity. How much did you save buying from MS?

Ian
IanS

Postby IanS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am

IanS wrote:

If that is true that is one mighty good reason not to buy an app through the Microsoft store! AP is not exactly expensive to buy from Affinity. How much did you save buying from MS?

Ian

Answered my own question :-) It is the same price, so why buy from MS if it restricts functionality compared to buying from Affinity?

Ian
IanS

Postby SFA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:54 am

The information on the MS Store web page for Affinity does advise that it needs to be installed on a drive in the local machine. However it can be installed on up to 10 PCs, apparently.

I don't believe there is an App for Windows but there is a version of Affinity Photo for iPad.
SFA

Postby mikekatz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 pm

There is a version of Affinity for Windows. I own it.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/desktop/
Mike
mikekatz

Postby SFA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:03 pm

mikekatz wrote:There is a version of Affinity for Windows. I own it.

There is indeed. I also own it (and several versions of it predecessors that were Windows only) but Windows store is about Apps as well as Applications and the word "App" was used earlier so I think it is important to clarify what is meant by the word and what is available.

Grant

PS. I'm not sure that it is appropriate to offer a direct link to another product for which there is no direct relationship to Capture One on a forum provided by Phase at their cost. However that is a fine line of etiquette for which the Phase crew can offer guidance if they wish to.
SFA

Postby mikekatz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:59 pm

SFA wrote:
Grant

PS. I'm not sure that it is appropriate to offer a direct link to another product for which there is no direct relationship to Capture One on a forum provided by Phase at their cost. However that is a fine line of etiquette for which the Phase crew can offer guidance if they wish to.

Of course, but we're looking at using Affinity with Capture One, not in place of it. It enhances Capture One, so is to Phase One's advantage.
Mike
mikekatz

Postby meyer999 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:42 pm

IanS wrote:
IanS wrote:

Ian

Answered my own question :-) It is the same price, so why buy from MS if it restricts functionality compared to buying from Affinity?

Ian

I thought it was the same as buying directly from Affinity.
Adrian
meyer999

Postby meyer999 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:50 pm

SFA wrote:
mikekatz wrote:There is a version of Affinity for Windows. I own it.

There is indeed. I also own it (and several versions of it predecessors that were Windows only) but Windows store is about Apps as well as Applications and the word "App" was used earlier so I think it is important to clarify what is meant by the word and what is available.

Grant

I agree, but just want to be able to do what can be done with Photoshop. In any case it can be done with a version purchased from Affinity. My problem is that I got the Microsoft store version.
Adrian
meyer999

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows