best way to fix haze and reflection

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

best way to fix haze and reflection

Postby Adam172 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:36 am

Hi,
I'm still learning to use C1.
Looking to fix some haze in my image shot through store window glass. Is there a preset or style?
Any suggestion are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Adam172

Re: best way to fix haze and reflection

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 am

You could try the Levels tool, in particular the specific channels, like the blue channel for example.

Easier is the Clarity tool. If affects surfaces.

Do not expect to much of this, by the way. A polarising filter on the lens is the only solution.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby SFA » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm

There is a potential additional problem shooting through glass where the lens/sensor is not parallel to the glass. Worst case is double or triple glazing where a number of factors may come into play depending on the type of shot.

The basic problem is that the image will have that area "flattened" and all you can really try to do is "unflatten" it in some way. Basically making the darkest part darker, the lightest points lighter and trying to spread anything in between to increase the perceived range available. All of that while trying to keep the look as natural as possible for the subject matter.

Layer, levels (by colour channel), curve, clarity, contrast adjustments and saturation, possibly sharpness, are some of the more influential options.

Once you have worked out what works for you to get a result you like, save it as a style for re-use as the basis for another adjustment in the future.

HTH

Grant
SFA

Postby Adam172 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 pm

Thank you!
I wish there would be presets / styles for d/l.
Adam172

Postby SFA » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Adam172 wrote:Thank you!
I wish there would be presets / styles for d/l.

So many possible variations it would be pointless, in my opinion.

It's not difficult to do yourself if you think about the possible options that you could use for the correction you need.

However, as I mentioned, with glass you have to also consider angles, how many surfaces are involved and what the light will do when passing through them and a number of other factors depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Once you have something set up you can save it as a style for future re-use and development.

However I find that it is not so difficult to set things up anyway and although a style will work quite well usually for a number of very similar shots taken as a set you may well end up changing a lot of values for each situation (not by much maybe but changes nevertheless) and it likely to be as easy to recreate as it would be to modify an existing style UNLESS much of you work will lead to almost exactly the same changes be required.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Adam172 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:51 pm

You're right, but LR does have haze filters.
Adam172

Postby C-M-B » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:12 am

Adam172 wrote:You're right, but LR does have haze filters.

That Haze Filter isn't doing anything magical, it's just a mixture of curves, clarity and overall contrast - it's not like you have a way of really controlling the outcome, as it's just a "one-size-fits-all" kind of filter - which is another name for "one-size-fits-none".
C-M-B

Postby Keith Reeder » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:13 pm

C-M-B wrote:That Haze Filter isn't doing anything magical, it's just a mixture of curves, clarity and overall contrast

No, it really isn't - a fact which has been amply attested to here before now, when despite trying every combination of in-Capture One features, users haven't been able to get close to what DeHaze does.
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby Luke_Miller » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:08 pm

With C1 I am not able to duplicate the effect of the Lightroom Dehaze tool. Perhaps that is a failing on my part. :oops:

Since I regularly shoot an in-door event where smoke machines are in use, haze removal is an important tool. When post-processing in C1 I use the Topaz DeHaze plugin.
Luke_Miller

Postby C-M-B » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:
C-M-B wrote:That Haze Filter isn't doing anything magical, it's just a mixture of curves, clarity and overall contrast

No, it really isn't - a fact which has been amply attested to here before now, when despite trying every combination of in-Capture One features, users haven't been able to get close to what DeHaze does.

Adjust Levels and then balance Curves (but only Luma!!) then adjust Contrast as needed and a bit of Clarity (Neutral works best in my opinion). For me the Luma curves is the biggest part of that trick.

If you want to save it as an adjustment I'd suggest yo go overboard with the settings and then save them - and everytime you want to use it create a new layer, apply those settings and reduce the opacity to your liking.
C-M-B

Postby Adam172 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:37 pm

I like DxO Photolab Clear View.
Adam172

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows