.nef vs .dng

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Re: .nef vs .dng

Postby pie.photo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm

Raw vs. DNG sometimes is a very emotional discussed subject. I do not convert my images to dng anymore because of bad experiences. You can read here my personal point of view: https://ernst.pisch.at/Fotografie/RAWvsDNG_EN.html
Hope, that you will find the best way for your workflow. Good luck!
Last edited by pie.photo on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pie.photo

Postby Keith Reeder » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:14 am

Bobtographer wrote:Converted RAW files Keith...

And in terms of the image data they contain, they're byte-for-byte identical to the source Raw (I've been around on this topic for a long time), so - to all intents and purposes- they are "Raw" data files.

"Converted" (in the usual sense of the word) they are not. There's no meaningful difference between a Raw file and an uncompressed DNG derived from it. That's the whole point of them, so an arbitrary recommendation only to use "RAW always" is meaningless advice.
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby Bobtographer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:

And in terms of the image data they contain, they're byte-for-byte identical to the source Raw (I've been around on this topic for a long time), so - to all intents and purposes- they are "Raw" data files.

"Converted" (in the usual sense of the word) they are not. There's no meaningful difference between a Raw file and an uncompressed DNG derived from it. That's the whole point of them, so an arbitrary recommendation only to use "RAW always" is meaningless advice.

So, I can just rename my CR2 files to DNG, or do I need to download the Adobe DNG Converter?
AMD R1700 OC 3.8GHz | AMD R9 Fury 4GB | 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz DDR 4 | 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe
LG 27UD88 | LG 27 ColorPrime | C1 11.3 | Win10 64Pro 1803
Bobtographer

Postby Ian3 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 pm

Bobtographer wrote:
Keith Reeder wrote:

So, I can just rename my CR2 files to DNG, or do I need to download the Adobe DNG Converter?

No you can't just rename it!

Ian
Ian3

Postby Ian3 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Is this article helpful? https://photographylife.com/dng-vs-raw

Ian

Edited to add: and see his longer explanation here. https://photographylife.com/why-i-no-longer-convert-raw-files-to-dng
Ian3

Postby cdc » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:11 am

Keith Reeder wrote:"Converted" (in the usual sense of the word) they are not. There's no meaningful difference between a Raw file and an uncompressed DNG derived from it. That's the whole point of them, so an arbitrary recommendation only to use "RAW always" is meaningless advice.

If there is no meaningful difference then what is the point of converting to DNG?
cdc

Postby lilo shinet » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:35 pm

How can it be meaningless difference as there is a weight difference?
lilo shinet

Postby bpfunk » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Actually, 1 extra drive is a redundancy, not a backup..

I mean external HDDs, so actually, it's a backup, but that's not important.

You need to keep all of your photographs local?

I prefer keeping my files local. I could use some cloud service for backing up some of my pictures, but it would be only better protection for some of my files, not solution of whole situation.

Cheap yes. 1 8TB HDD costs the same as i paid for a 120GB back in early 2K

Perhaps, but it is 2019 now. Files are larger, higher resolution, movie files… hard to compare. For me, storage is affordable, but definitely not cheap.

Back to the main question. I experienced some difficulties in Capture One with DNGs converted from Fuji X20 RAF. The pictures were blurry with strange artifacts and some of them with strange colors, but it fixed somehow itself and now it's OK. The DNG files from D7200's NEFs, are OK. DNG files seems little less reliable to me, but I will continue converting my less valuable pictures, and the only reason for this is a file size.
bpfunk

Previous

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows