Capture One 12 released!

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Re: Capture One 12 released!

Postby NN636100965072346098UL » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 pm

NN636100965072346098UL

Postby Paul811 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:59 pm

Upgrade tooooo expensive!!

I started using from version3. And now want to charge me A$234 when other upgrades have been around $100?????

I'll wait, thankyou. perhaps I'll learn Lightroom or others.
Chasing me away after having been so loyal for so long!!
Paul811

Postby SFA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Paul811 wrote:Upgrade tooooo expensive!!

I started using from version3. And now want to charge me A$234 when other upgrades have been around $100?????

Will it cost you less?

I have another photo editor, quite like C1 although it lacks some things but has others.

I loved it. I had just bought Lightroom V1 at what was then quite a high cost but soon abandoned it when I discovered this one.

It's free. And it works with Mac, Windows and Linux

However it's free because any development these days is undertaken by volunteers. The original developer, to whom I had paid a few years of license fees, had to close the business back around 2009 while in the middle of developing what looked like it would have been a superb new version.

The last time I checked there seemed to be only one volunteer developer. Part time. Very part time.

Even as freeware (assuming it is still available and supported - I have not checked for a while) and even though it seemed to stand up well against other, still developing, commercial software for several years, when I discovered Capture One my loyalty started to shift quite quickly.

Why?

Well for some reason C1 just produced a better default result even before I started any editing. The results were, usually, perfectly usable without further editing.

Getting into editing, C1 did more then enough easily. Controlling the result using the other application was a more difficult task - though potentially offering wider options. Few of the wider options were really useful to me. And the workflow, though better than many, was more time consuming and less immediately interactive than C1. I realised I was saving a lot of time working with C1's approach.

When they existed their new release upgrade cost policy was much the same as C1's today. I was fairly happy to pay, despite no readily available 'more-or-less on demand' Technical Support service. I see no reason to take a different view today although I may decide to skip the occasional version. I skipped V10 for example. Absent buying any new cameras and being a Windows user preferring Sessions it didn't seem to offer me much.

V12 has a number of features that are likely to be of much greater interest to Mac users than to me as a Windows user. But I think there is probably enough in it that is of interest to me to justify an upgrade. At some point ...

Yes it would be great if the upgrade price was close to nothing. However it's probably more realistic to seek a consistent source of supply that dies not die and stop me doing anything much should I choose not to pay up for a while.

Just my personal perspective.

Grant
Last edited by SFA on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SFA

Postby noun_photography » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:14 am

I just updated my Sony Pro version to v12 and it keeps freezing every time I try and zoom in on an image or try to adjust the luminosity mask. I haven't been able to finish my job. Put in support requests with no response all day. Very frustrating. What I have been able to use has been a welcomed upgrade but disappointing that there is still no image stacking. Not a huge update for the price jump :?
noun_photography

Postby NN636100965072346098UL » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:00 am

Make a forum post about it?
NN636100965072346098UL

Postby Paul811 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:28 am

SFA wrote:

Will it cost you less?

I have another photo editor, quite like C1 although it lacks some things but has others.

I loved it. I had just bought Lightroom V1 at what was then quite a high cost but soon abandoned it when I discovered this one.

However it's free because any development these days is undertaken by volunteers. The original developer, to whom I had paid a few years of license fees, had to close the business back around 2009 while in the middle of developing what looked like it would have been a superb new version.

The last time I checked there seemed to be only one volunteer developer. Part time. Very part time.

Even as freeware (assuming it is still available and supported - I have not checked for a while) and even though it seemed to stand up well against other, still developing, commercial software for several years, when I discovered Capture One my loyalty started to shift quite quickly.

Why?

Well for some reason C1 just produced a better default result even before I started any editing. The results were, usually, perfectly usable without further editing.

Getting into editing, C1 did more then enough easily. Controlling the result using the other application was a more difficult task - though potentially offering wider options. Few of the wider options were really useful to me. And the workflow, though better than many, was more time consuming and less immediately interactive than C1. I realised I was saving a lot of time working with C1's approach.

When they existed their new release upgrade cost policy was much the same as C1's today. I was fairly happy to pay, despite no readily available 'more-or-less on demand' Technical Support service. I see no reason to take a different view today although I may decide to skip the occasional version. I skipped V10 for example. Absent buying any new cameras and being a Windows user preferring Sessions it didn't seem to offer me much.

V12 has a number of features that are likely to be of much greater interest to Mac users than to me as a Windows user. But I think there is probably enough in it that is of interest to me to justify an upgrade. At some point ...

Yes it would be great if the upgrade price was close to nothing. However it's probably more realistic to seek a consistent source of supply that dies not die die an top me doing anything much should I choose not to pay up for a while.

Grant

Extremely well written!
I appreciate your eloquent reply.
Whilst I agree with you I still feel that to pay over A$50 more than my upgrade cost me last year is a bit too much!
So, like you, I will wait before I upgrade.
Paul811

Postby NN636100965072346098UL » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:31 am

Just downloaded a trial of it and couldn't find any of the bug's I've reported fixed. I asked for an option to create a folder from within the import box (so you don't have to create one then import) and that hasn't been improved either.
NN636100965072346098UL

Postby NN636100965072346098UL » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:32 am

I contacted them directly too asking for a list of bug fixes and they gave me a pdf that only included new features. No bug fixes, so I don't think they've actually fixed anything. $100 for a couple new features? See you guys on 13! (maybe)
NN636100965072346098UL

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:03 am

Paul811 wrote:
SFA wrote:

Will it cost you less?

Why?

Yes it would be great if the upgrade price was close to nothing. However it's probably more realistic to seek a consistent source of supply that dies not die die an top me doing anything much should I choose not to pay up for a while.

Grant

Extremely well written!
I appreciate your eloquent reply.
Whilst I agree with you I still feel that to pay over A$50 more than my upgrade cost me last year is a bit too much!
So, like you, I will wait before I upgrade.

Thanks. Appreciated.

Right now in the UK it seems that everything is steady creeping up in price but the pace of increase has been increasing.

At the same time 'high street' retailing is really suffering, pubs are still disappearing at great pace and restaurants are struggling too. Any business that is not selling a necessity, or which derives a large part of its profit from non-core to life products is not having an easy time.

In recent times new car sales have boomed in the UK probably due mostly to what seemed to be cheap financing deals. By all accounts the good times in that discretionary purchase market have evaporated. It seems likely that is a semi-global phenomenon and not unique to the UK

There are strong indications (and have been for some years) that camera sales (other than as components of mobile phones!) are in significant decline. Meanwhile the manufacturers appear to have been seeking profit by moving up market and accepting the reality of lower volumes

Many retailers have not been trading well enough in recent year to be able to withstand the fall in sales - and possibly the challenge of Amazon and their like. Selling at lower prices does not seem to help them. Selling at higher prices might - but not if there is a lot of direct and obviously comparable competition offering the same product or services.

In the end we have to make our own decisions about what is important to us. And why. And then decide where to use our cash. (Or credit in many cases).

The answers are not always obvious at first sight or upon first consideration. Fortunately I have not just invested in a camera that would commit me to upgrading or, with alternative vendors, buying in to a recurring monthly fee for a subscription.

That gives me time to consider the options - although If I had just bought a very recent camera the decision might be easier to make!

Grant
SFA

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:10 am

NN636100965072346098UL wrote:I asked for an option to create a folder from within the import box (so you don't have to create one then import) and that hasn't been improved either.

What are you using for importing?

The import tool has had functionality like that for a while.
SFA

Postby NN636100965072346098UL » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:24 am

SFA wrote:
NN636100965072346098UL wrote:I asked for an option to create a folder from within the import box (so you don't have to create one then import) and that hasn't been improved either.

What are you using for importing?

The import tool has had functionality like that for a while.

I don't think I was clear. Meant to say create collection album.
NN636100965072346098UL

Postby Class A » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:00 am

I'm disappointed that the vignetting tool is still woefully inflexible. Now that radial gradients are supported, the vignetting tool could have very easily been enhanced to allow control over feathering and roundness of edges.

I don't think the new font and cosmetic slider changes are an improvement and there should definitely have been an option for 1080p users to retain the old font size. The new row for "Adjustment" and "Luma Range..." is wasting too much vertical space, given that one will not always use these features.

I feel that the concept of parametric masks is underdeveloped. Asking the user to rasterise parametric masks at times is exposing too much underlying technology, in my view. I understand that parameterised and brushed masks will only work well together as long as one doesn't change the parameters of the parameterised masks, but having to forgo any future changes to a once parameterised mask is too high a price to pay.

I could go on, but I don't want to make this a rant. There are some good developments (keyboard shortcut management, radial filters and parameterised linear gradient filters), but overall I don't think the improvements are worth the substantial upgrade cost.

BTW, ambassadors shouldn't demonstrate the new luma range masking functionality by making changes to the exposure level as the corresponding effect can already be easily achieved in older C1 versions (e.g., using Curves).
Class A

Postby NN636100965072346098UL » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 am

Noise redect? Still useless.
NN636100965072346098UL

Postby NN636780420206718893UL » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:21 am

Hi,
I purchased capture one on 17/11/18 but I cannot see an option to upgrade to 12 without paying full price? what am I missing?
Thanks
NN636780420206718893UL

Postby John Doe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:55 am

NN636780420206718893UL wrote:Hi,
I purchased capture one on 17/11/18 but I cannot see an option to upgrade to 12 without paying full price? what am I missing?
Thanks

Are you logged into your account?
John Doe

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows