Long delay switching to different image

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Long delay switching to different image

Postby jlarocco » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:41 am

I've been getting an intermittent delay jumping between images using the browser.

Usually when I click a new image I see a blurry preview for a moment, but a sharp view replaces it in less than a second. Every so often, though, when I click on a new image it takes on the order of 30-90 seconds to load the sharp view. I see the spinning circle above the image, but when I check Activity Monitor, C1 is only using 15-30% CPU.

Using "Proofing Mode" seems to make the delay happen less frequently. But it seems to happen more frequently if I jump between images more frequently - if I spend 30 seconds viewing each image, I get the delay more often than if I spend a few minutes making adjustments.

I'm using an old (2013) Macbook Pro, I have hardware acceleration turned off, and my images and session file are on an external spinning disk. The images are 14-bit lossless compressed NEFs from a D810, and there are about 150 of them in the session.

Has anybody else seen this? Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround or settings I can change to avoid this?
jlarocco

Re: Long delay switching to different image

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:22 am

Is there enough space to try the experiment of moving the session onto the MacBook's internal drive, to see whether it is quicker like that? If so, it is likely that it is the use of the external drive to hold the session that is the issue. If not, at least you have eliminated one of the possibilities.

Ian
Ian3

Postby jlarocco » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:03 am

Good idea! Looks like that may have been the problem. Trying it out on a few sessions right now, and browsing is much faster, and I haven't had any long pauses. Even if it doesn't solve the problem completely, it's enough of a difference that I'm going to start editing on my internal drive and moving to the external drive when I'm done.
jlarocco

Postby NNN636170256789998551 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:35 pm

I've had the same issue for a couple of years and tech support has recommended completely uninstalling program
That didn't work
then they recommended changing preview size
I have gone down all they way to 640
That didn't work
Meanwhile I upgraded to a 2017 27 inch iMac with the latest and greatest upgrades that I could do
That didn't work
Before that I even bought G-Technology SSD drive thinking maybe that was the problem since I store my images in portable
That didn't work
Really ??!!!
Is this a common occurrence that everyone is used to?? Is this the norm??
NNN636170256789998551

Postby tenmangu81 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:52 pm

jlarocco wrote:I'm using an old (2013) Macbook Pro, I have hardware acceleration turned off, and my images and session file are on an external spinning disk. The images are 14-bit lossless compressed NEFs from a D810, and there are about 150 of them in the session.

I have exactly the same config as yours (except that my hardware acceleration is turned ON), and I don't face any issue with the delay when switching from an image to an other. But I work in catalog mode, with 22k+ images.
tenmangu81

Return to Capture One 12.x Software