Overwrite export

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Overwrite export

Postby NN635383065265695366UL » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:03 am

Is it possible for the software to overwrite an export? This would be a handy feature. If there was an option to set in the process receipe rather than creating a new file every time the same file was exported. For instance if I made adjustments and then re-exported. that would be easier than manually having to go and find and delete the files
NN635383065265695366UL

Re: Overwrite export

Postby NN635383065265695366UL » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:16 am

I have also discovered that even thought the base tiff file is updated by photoshop. If you export out of capture one that file it does not read the changed file. So maybe it is a caching issue????
NN635383065265695366UL

Postby Ian3 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:30 am

NN635383065265695366UL wrote:Is it possible for the software to overwrite an export? This would be a handy feature. If there was an option to set in the process receipe rather than creating a new file every time the same file was exported. For instance if I made adjustments and then re-exported. that would be easier than manually having to go and find and delete the files

By design, Capture One doesn't do that. A lot of users say they would like it to, or would like to have an option to allow it or disallow it. (Personally I prefer the existing functionality.) You could put in a feature request to Phase One asking for this - I don't think you would be the first.

Ian
Ian3

Postby OddS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Ian3 wrote:...A lot of users say they would like it to, or would like to have an option to allow it or disallow it. (Personally I prefer the existing functionality.)

If C1 renamed existing exports, it could probably satisfy both camps.

Currently, my first C1 export to JPEG from "Image.NEF" would be "Image.JPG"
Next C1 export will append the number string " 1" to mage "Image 1.JPG"
The following export creates "Image 2.JPG"

One camp prefers the most recent export to always be "Image.JPG", the other camp argues against overwriting a previous export, because it means losing a previously exported image.

C1 must, obviously, first establish the sequence number string (" 1", " 2", " 3",...) to append to the next file name. The next export would go to "Image 3.JPG" in my example above.

What if C1 instead renamed file "Image 2.JPG" to "Image 3.JPG", then renamed file "Image 1.JPG" to "Image 2.JPG" and then "Image.JPG" to "Image 1.JPG" before export to a new file "Image.JPG". Such a renaming scheme is well known from computer log files, among other things.

Camp 1 users could refer to "Image.JPG" in their documents (web or other), no document edit or file deletion required for each export. Previous exports are not lost, which should satisfy camp 2 users (including you?)
OddS

Postby SFA » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:18 pm

The renaming activity is (historically) a potential risk but I suspect the underlying technical issues are greater than that in that files are not always linked in applications by their human readable names.

There is also the the question of the purpose of the output file.

In a simple example one creates a jpg for viewing or printing and that's all. If you choose to replace it - no big deal.

If, however one produces a set of jpgs for, say, a stitching program or some sort of stacking where previous files have already been connected to another application then the consideration of the other application's understanding of the new file needs to be taken into account. I would guess there will not be any understanding and in some cases the changes migh be extreme enough to prove puzzling to the other software.

Likewise a TIFF file (for example) exported to be sent to Photoshop and then edited in Photoshop and returned. Might that cause some issues if it was overwritten? Likewise a PSD file for which there is edit history in PS. Any possible problems there?

What happens if using an external DAM?

Or if the file in question happens to be referenced in multiple catalogues and/or sessions. Would that create any challenges?

Looking at it from a different angle - depending on one's preferences for naming conventions there could be enormous potential for accidentally overwriting an image with something completely different without recognising that it has happened at the time. This would probably be more likely in a catalogue and when using daily naming conventions that restart from 1 - perhaps in a studio shoot situation. But even when cameras tend to loop image number every 10k images the potential for having 2 images with the same name being processed out to the same Output location (depending on workflow) should not be ignored. Using 2 cameras on a shoot that happen to be in much the same part of the numbering cycle would be an example.

What if you regularly create 3 variants of an image and output them with the same file name but with suffix numbers 1 to 3 added. How should C1 decide what to do with the existing files? Or, indeed, the new ones?

I would guess that most Pro's, if they felt there was some risk, would avoid that. I'm not sure all enthusiasts would give it much thought.

One way or another the User is going to have to manage the challenge since only they know what they really want and how the image is to be used. Taking that view makes it logical to avoid overwriting in the simplest way possible.

Whether it then makes sense to offer tools for managing the resulting duplication could be considered. I'm not sure what could be provided that does not simply duplicate what can be done in the operating system but it might be worth considering.

Quite frankly If I feel the need to change a few files I really don't see the problem with accessing the folder where files are to be change and deleting the old ones before re-processing or simply re-processing and then deleting followed by re-naming.

When I make a mistake and feel a need to reprocess a large batch I just output the revised batch to ta new folder and then delete the old folder or move the images in the new folder to the old one when the export is complete - taking care that I consider the implications, if any, of making such changes where files might be 'in use' by other applications.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Grant
SFA

Postby OddS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:51 pm

SFA wrote:...Likewise a TIFF file (for example) exported to be sent to Photoshop and then edited in Photoshop and returned.

My round trip files (edit in/with) live in the image source file folder, and I see them in the C1 browser. My processing recipes send their output to C1 Output folder or a specific folder defined in a particular recipe.
OddS

Postby OddS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:55 pm

SFA wrote:Quite frankly If I feel the need to change a few files I really don't see the problem with accessing the folder where files are to be change and deleting the old ones before re-processing or simply re-processing and then deleting followed by re-naming.

Of course, that is why I have a handful of scripts to handle things outside C1.
OddS

Postby SFA » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 pm

OddS wrote:
SFA wrote:...Likewise a TIFF file (for example) exported to be sent to Photoshop and then edited in Photoshop and returned.

My round trip files (edit in/with) live in the image source file folder, and I see them in the C1 browser. My processing recipes send their output to C1 Output folder or a specific folder defined in a particular recipe.

Yes but it sounds like you are well organised and understand the way that the relationships between the applications you use need to work.

That is unlikely to be the case for everyone.
SFA

Postby mikekatz » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:44 pm

I have put in a feature request for this a long time ago. It seems that the decision is made to not have this feature.
Clearly, some users want it one way, and others want it another. I personally would almost always prefer to overwrite, although occasionally I want to keep the previous version.

Lightroom handles this issue elegantly. If you export a single image or a batch, it checks up front if there are existing files. if there are, a dialog displays allowing you to choose whether to overwrite or create one or more additional files. If there are no existing files, it just exports without asking.

The Capture One preview window does not display accurately. Therefore, I export and check the output in a viewer - Photo Mechanic in my case. if I need to make an adjustment, I make it in Capture One and I re-export. I don't want the previous version, and I don't want a different file name. So I have to remember to delete the image in Photo Mechanic before I re-export. It's a real PITA, and so easy to fix.
mikekatz

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac