Photos from last import appear in new session.

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Photos from last import appear in new session.

Postby NNN636886351301446190 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:31 am

Hi,

When I create a new session and import new photos from SD card, the photos from my last session seem to appear in the session as well. How do I make it so that only my new photos that I'm transferring appear in the new session? The old photos arn't on SD card that im transferring the new photos from so it can't be that.

It's happening every time i start a new session - help!

Thank you in advance :) :)
NNN636886351301446190

Re: Photos from last import appear in new session.

Postby SFA » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:46 am

To where are you importing the files?

Do the new files and the previous files all end up in the same folder as seen through the system folders?

Are you creating the new session from scratch or from a pre-saved template?

When you import the files you should likely see an Album for that particular imported group of files. Is that were you see the previous files as well? Or do you have to go the the 'All Images' option before they appear?

Do you have any unexpected folder identified as "Favourites"?

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636886351301446190 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:00 pm

[quote="SFA"]To where are you importing the files?

Do the new files and the previous files all end up in the same folder as seen through the system folders?

By system folders do you mean the folders on my actual computer that Capture creates? They don't end up in there because i don't choose to export them as part of that session, i just have to uncheck them when I'm exporting.

Are you creating the new session from scratch or from a pre-saved template?

I'm creating it from scratch

When you import the files you should likely see an Album for that particular imported group of files. Is that were you see the previous files as well? Or do you have to go the the 'All Images' option before they appear?

For some reason the main album it seems to default to is 'session favourites' with the capture love heart. All images from current and previous imports are appearing there when i import. The ALL IMAGES folder also shows current and previous export. The session folders that I created actually shows nothing in there because I guess I haven't exported anything to those folders yet.

Do you have any unexpected folder identified as "Favourites"?

Just the one i mentioned above called 'Session favourites' with 'Capture' underneath (love heart icon). However as far as im aware im not favouriting anything, im not even sure how to do that. I sort through photos by starring them.

Grant[/quote]

Thank you for you help!! :D
NNN636886351301446190

Postby SFA » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Hmm.

We need to sort out the terminology a little.

If you are using a SESSION (i.e, NOT a catalogue) when you create it, as you have seen, Capture one will add some 'Physical'' folders to your system by default because, for most uses, it's a helpful thing to do. (However some people who use sessions are less than impressed with this 'clutter' because they use sessions a different way. I use the both ways and can understand the benefits and potential confusion that might occur if one is not entirely familiar with how things work.

Although C1 will add the folders for "Capture", "Selects", "Output" and "Trash" WITHIN the overall Session folder structure users can redirect the FUNCTIONS that relate to them to pretty much any other folder in the system.

Also when you IMPORT images from your SD card a session would NORMALLY put those images in the PHYSICAL "Capture" folder - as it would if one was shooting tethered.

However in both cases there are options for choosing something different.

EXPORT does not come into this part of the process EXCEPT, sort of, in the specific case where you tell C1 that as part of the IMPORT you also wish to create a backup copy of the files you are importing. However that is a source file backup convenience NOT an Export.

With the functions of a session there are some menu option to mave file around quickly. For example you can send a file (and any edits it may have) to a the SELECTS folder. By default this will be the SELECTS folder created when the Session is created. HOWEVER it is possible to change the the folder that is designated to be the SELECTS folder to any folder you wish to point it at. Af a Function if then send a file to the 'virtual' selects folder it will be sent to wherever the Session database currently thinks that is.

When Importing you can do much the same thing for the Capture folder and send the files to a folder of your choice - or perhaps wherever the current "Capture" 'virtual' folder is pointing.

That possibility could explain why your newly imported images are ending up in the same folder as previous imports and why they are automatically appearing as favourites. Have you checked the earlier Session(s) to see if the new images are appearing in those too? (There is not reason why an image should not appear in multiple session or even catalogues although I would not necessarily recommend it without fully understanding the implications whether beneficial or detrimental. I mention it only to observe that what I have suggested it entirely possible.)

When you create your new Session do you have any existing Session s open at the same time?

I often create a new session when I already have an existing session or sessions open but have never, to my recollection, seen this sort of problem. That said in my early days of using C1, before I decided to get to grips with session (catalogues were not an option at the time and I had previous used another application that worked like sessions work but without the convenience of the structured controls and folders - so I had just dived in without really looking for what was there.) I do recall seeing some unexpected files in certain locations - but I was not really using the Import option at the time and so I decided it was own fault for copying files around without thinking about where they were really going.

During your import process I assume your "Import from - Source" will be your SD card in a reader somewhere.

What do you see n the "Import To - Destination" field?

IN the "Sample" below you should be able to see where C1 thinks you wish to save the source files. Does that match your expectations?

Next to the Destination field is an arrow. If you click on that it should show you where the "Destination" actually is on your system or network disks. IS it where you are expecting it to be?

Note that the "Destination" box has a facility to show previously used destinations. If you use the same naming convention for folder in multiple sessions (as C1 does by default I would note) when you look at the list you might see multiple "Capture" folders (for example). These can be Capture folder from different sessions and most likely will be.

So if you create a new session an change the automatically added "Capture" folder for the import process to some other "Capture" folder from the list the chances are that it will point to an entirely different folder with the same name in a different session file structure. Had you inadvertently made that change then you might well see the problem you have described. Once you know about it it is a feature not a problem but if you don;t know about it and have your own personalised folder name that you wish to used then you would, of course, need to change from the default "Capture" folder suggestion and that might well lead to selecting an exist folder that was previously used for an earlier import.

If that cannot be the problem in your case then I think we are left with some sort of system glitch as the culprit.

As I am not a Mac user I will avoid making suggestion about how to resolve the matter and simply suggest that you either wait for a Mac used to offer help or, perhaps more wisely should it be a rare system glitch problem, create a Support Case and get the Capture One Support team to help identify the problem and the solution.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636886351301446190 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:17 am

SFA wrote:Hmm.

We need to sort out the terminology a little.

If you are using a SESSION (i.e, NOT a catalogue) when you create it, as you have seen, Capture one will add some 'Physical'' folders to your system by default because, for most uses, it's a helpful thing to do. (However some people who use sessions are less than impressed with this 'clutter' because they use sessions a different way. I use the both ways and can understand the benefits and potential confusion that might occur if one is not entirely familiar with how things work.

Although C1 will add the folders for "Capture", "Selects", "Output" and "Trash" WITHIN the overall Session folder structure users can redirect the FUNCTIONS that relate to them to pretty much any other folder in the system.

Also when you IMPORT images from your SD card a session would NORMALLY put those images in the PHYSICAL "Capture" folder - as it would if one was shooting tethered.

However in both cases there are options for choosing something different.

EXPORT does not come into this part of the process EXCEPT, sort of, in the specific case where you tell C1 that as part of the IMPORT you also wish to create a backup copy of the files you are importing. However that is a source file backup convenience NOT an Export.

With the functions of a session there are some menu option to mave file around quickly. For example you can send a file (and any edits it may have) to a the SELECTS folder. By default this will be the SELECTS folder created when the Session is created. HOWEVER it is possible to change the the folder that is designated to be the SELECTS folder to any folder you wish to point it at. Af a Function if then send a file to the 'virtual' selects folder it will be sent to wherever the Session database currently thinks that is.

When Importing you can do much the same thing for the Capture folder and send the files to a folder of your choice - or perhaps wherever the current "Capture" 'virtual' folder is pointing.

That possibility could explain why your newly imported images are ending up in the same folder as previous imports and why they are automatically appearing as favourites. Have you checked the earlier Session(s) to see if the new images are appearing in those too? (There is not reason why an image should not appear in multiple session or even catalogues although I would not necessarily recommend it without fully understanding the implications whether beneficial or detrimental. I mention it only to observe that what I have suggested it entirely possible.)

When you create your new Session do you have any existing Session s open at the same time?

I often create a new session when I already have an existing session or sessions open but have never, to my recollection, seen this sort of problem. That said in my early days of using C1, before I decided to get to grips with session (catalogues were not an option at the time and I had previous used another application that worked like sessions work but without the convenience of the structured controls and folders - so I had just dived in without really looking for what was there.) I do recall seeing some unexpected files in certain locations - but I was not really using the Import option at the time and so I decided it was own fault for copying files around without thinking about where they were really going.

During your import process I assume your "Import from - Source" will be your SD card in a reader somewhere.

What do you see n the "Import To - Destination" field?

IN the "Sample" below you should be able to see where C1 thinks you wish to save the source files. Does that match your expectations?

Next to the Destination field is an arrow. If you click on that it should show you where the "Destination" actually is on your system or network disks. IS it where you are expecting it to be?

Note that the "Destination" box has a facility to show previously used destinations. If you use the same naming convention for folder in multiple sessions (as C1 does by default I would note) when you look at the list you might see multiple "Capture" folders (for example). These can be Capture folder from different sessions and most likely will be.

So if you create a new session an change the automatically added "Capture" folder for the import process to some other "Capture" folder from the list the chances are that it will point to an entirely different folder with the same name in a different session file structure. Had you inadvertently made that change then you might well see the problem you have described. Once you know about it it is a feature not a problem but if you don;t know about it and have your own personalised folder name that you wish to used then you would, of course, need to change from the default "Capture" folder suggestion and that might well lead to selecting an exist folder that was previously used for an earlier import.

If that cannot be the problem in your case then I think we are left with some sort of system glitch as the culprit.

As I am not a Mac user I will avoid making suggestion about how to resolve the matter and simply suggest that you either wait for a Mac used to offer help or, perhaps more wisely should it be a rare system glitch problem, create a Support Case and get the Capture One Support team to help identify the problem and the solution.

HTH.

Grant

Hi Grant,
Thank you so much for your help! I'd love to somehow message you and potentially have you watch what I'm doing and pick out what I'm doing wrong. I know it's a big ask but I'm happy to pay you for this tutoring. I'm at the point where I'm just frustrated with a few things and am looking to change back to Lightroom. I've tried contacting Phase One but they have not replied and it has been quite some time. Anyway if you would be interested in helping out that would be amazing! Not sure if you can message on this platform, I couldn't find a way? Otherwise is there some other way I can reach you? Thanks again for your help :)
NNN636886351301446190

Postby SFA » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 am

I would be happy to try to help but I'm sure the Capture One Support Team would be happy as well. Better still they are likely to have Mac experience and I have none at all other that a brief time working at an all Mac business before they switched to Windows. That was 20 years ago.

(This is probably not an operating system specific problem but if deeper investigation is required OS familiarity would likely help.)

Did you contact support via a Support Case?

If not, you should. They are usually pretty quick to respond.

There is a link in the Help menu but your can also get there via this link

https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain

Scroll to the bottom of the page for some specific options for the type of support you seek and the request will be directed accordingly.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac