C1P in iPad or ARM based MacBook

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Re: C1P in iPad or ARM based MacBook

Postby NN635412303032341950UL » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:05 am

Reign of Crows wrote:The transition of Macs to ARM is heavily rumored but hasn't been officially confirmed. Tracking down the Intel comment, it seems to derive from one article in February 2019 and it's still conjecture from Intel employees, not based on actual orders that were made (or not made) by Apple.

C-M-B wrote:IMO all mobile devices made by Apple are mainly designed for short bursts of intense work followed by pauses to let the passive cooling do its job and to save battery. However when stressed for longer periods they start to run hot, throttle and often the battery starts to drain quickly.

In theory, yes. But processors have become surprisingly efficient to the point that even these mobile devices are capable of surprising things. I've been away from home for a few months and have been using the latest MacBook as my primary system (Intel-based but passive cooling). Editing and exporting photos in Capture One, and editing and exporting videos in Final Cut Pro X are surprisingly doable. Actually, to say "doable" implies it's a painful experience - when I used Capture One on my home computer (an iMac 5K with a higher-end Intel Core i7) the performance didn't feel much different, if any at all. Admittedly that was a fairly brief use before I was on the road again and I fully expect it to perform better on the iMac, but the fact that it didn't feel like a night and day difference was shocking to me. Video editing with Final Cut Pro X required me to tweak a setting to disable background rendering to make it more usable on the MacBook but once that was done it also didn't feel terribly different from the iMac.

It's not a rumor anymore. Because they announced the project called Catalyst. It's a project that both iOS and MacOS apps can be used on both Mac and mobile devices. They already planned to allow both apps to be used on ARM and Intel-based devices.

Also, Intel is already expected that Apple will start using ARM-based MacBook in 2020 instead of Intel CPU. No matter what people say, Apple will eventually start using ARM CPU on Mac instead of Intel CPU.
NN635412303032341950UL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby C-M-B » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:13 pm

PSS wrote:
C-M-B wrote:
PSS wrote:LR CC can obviously export 16 tiffs
we are not talking about a situation that allows or calls for a calibrated eizo
i own pretty much every generation of iPad and have never had "thermal issues" or draining batteries
i am starting to doubt that you have ever even used an iPad pro with LR mobile or any other app that can handle raws
i doubt that 1% of all C1 users use digital backs and since even the vast majority of all existing DBs are under 50mpix, i would say those using 50+ mpix are 0.1% or less....
different people have different workflows....

As I said LR CC mobile can't export to anything but JPG and that won't do. At least nor for me.

So no color calibration, no TIFF export - I think that alone is reason enough not to call it a professional solution.

You can doubt whatever you want and feel free to. But that doesn't change the fact that for the small percentage of high-res MF shooters it will probably not be as easy or comfortable to work with.

I don't want to get personal so I'll just say that some people are a bit more fond of a certain brand than they might want to admit, and that might just cloud and influence their perception of the possibilities and capabilities of a certain product. So most likely I won't be able to change your opinion, no matter what and therefore there's no reason to continue arguing about it :)

i definitely like apple and what they do in general...
i definitely am not a fan of adobe but that does not stop me from liking what they are doing, especially in regard with LR and cloud.....i am not sure how and why you would want to export from LR mobile...the whole point is that everything you import in LR CC (desktop or mobile) can be worked on, edited anywhere....and since (right now) the iPad has no real file system there is no point in exporting anything other then email or social media....but all edits done on LR mobile can be exported as 16bit TIFF from LR CC...
again: none of this seems to fit into your workflow, but the people looking at this thread might be interested in it...

In short: if you can't edit AND export workable files (such as TIFF) it's just a gadget. Such a workable file could be edited in Photoshop and afterwards sent to the client.
THAT would be professional system for professional use. Simply calling it "Pro" and then having such strong limitation is a bit ridiculous... and then it's not really a laptop alternative or replacement.
C-M-B

Postby fatihayoglu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:30 pm

I am pretty certain, more than half of the users of CO do not print their works and again more than half do not use calibrated monitors. I also think most of them do not export as TIFF and continue to edit in other softwares.

About the speed, not quite sure you have seen when they have announce the new IPPs but on the stage, they have processed 3GB photoshop files on an IPP, that means IPP is powerful enough. Please note that PS was a BETA software. About culling and cataloguing, if Apple Photos can catalog thousands of pictures on an iPad, I don't see a reason why CO cannot do it.

Regarding not being able to export TIFF, it is a software limitation of LRCC, nothing to do with IPP. Now the iOS has access to external drives, I am sure softwares will be using this feature. I know by fact, Affinity can process psd files on iPad, and I guess psd files are professional enough?

Nobody is saying IPP will replace Notebooks but it is a tool for people to work on. If we think the same logic, laptops are not as powerful as desktops, so we shouldnt be using them as well? Also you cannot calibrate a laptop screen at a level of a Eizo monitor.

Again, it is a tool for people who would like to use it in their workflow and in my humble opinion, PO team should utilize it
Late 2015 iMac 5K, 4Ghz, 40GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 4GB GPU
Nikon D750, 20 f/1.8G, 35 f/2D, 50 f/1.8D, 85 f/1.8D, 24-70 f/2.8E, 70-200 f/2.8G
Leica M10, 35 Summicron, 50 Summilux, 90 Summicron
fatihayoglu

Postby DAndison » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:32 pm

I'd imagine a lot of people calibrate their monitors. If you use more than one screen while working you need to otherwise results will look different across different devices as well as the clients screen.

That said, I use ColorTrue by X-Rite to calibrate my iPad Pro 11 screen that I use as a mobile Cintiq. You just use a ColorMunki Display etc attached to a laptop and place the device on the iPad Screen. It then stores the profile online for any app to call on.

Looking forward to using the iPad Pro with the full version of Photoshop that's in Beta form at the moment. As has been mentioned, they are very capable devices when it comes to editing, manage no problem with my Sony 42mp files. Affinity photo standalone app for iPad exports in Tiff, Jpg, PSD, EPS, HDR and many others. I'd imagine other apps will do as well.

I've just ordered a PCIe M.2 SSD plus enclosure that will easily connect to MacBook & iPad Pros. The line between mobile devices and laptops/desktops is blurring rapidly. Personally, I love using the Apple Pencil compared to the Wacom pen on the Cintiq.
DAndison

Postby NN635619819189728653UL » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:49 pm

Just to add to this, as has been pointed out already, affinity Photo will export as tiff and many other file formats. So I don't think that's a limitation of the iPad. also, as pointed out, there is colortrue from x-rite, which they are actually making available to app developers as an sdk so they build it into their apps. Right now, although you can calibrate the ipad with this and a hardware calibration device, you have to view the images in their viewer app until other apps start implementing it. My guess is that Photoshop will be the first to do this, based on Pro demands. this will force others like Affinity to also support calibration. It's a matter of time before more of these Pro apps are on the iPad, and not just lite versions. Check out Photo, Designer and Procreate if you want to see what an iPad is capable of, not Lightroom.
NN635619819189728653UL

Postby C-M-B » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:16 pm

fatihayoglu wrote:I am pretty certain, more than half of the users of CO do not print their works and again more than half do not use calibrated monitors. I also think most of them do not export as TIFF and continue to edit in other softwares.

About the speed, not quite sure you have seen when they have announce the new IPPs but on the stage, they have processed 3GB photoshop files on an IPP, that means IPP is powerful enough. Please note that PS was a BETA software. About culling and cataloguing, if Apple Photos can catalog thousands of pictures on an iPad, I don't see a reason why CO cannot do it.

Regarding not being able to export TIFF, it is a software limitation of LRCC, nothing to do with IPP. Now the iOS has access to external drives, I am sure softwares will be using this feature. I know by fact, Affinity can process psd files on iPad, and I guess psd files are professional enough?

Nobody is saying IPP will replace Notebooks but it is a tool for people to work on. If we think the same logic, laptops are not as powerful as desktops, so we shouldnt be using them as well? Also you cannot calibrate a laptop screen at a level of a Eizo monitor.

Again, it is a tool for people who would like to use it in their workflow and in my humble opinion, PO team should utilize it

Well here's the rub: it does not make sense to dumb the software down to the lowest common denominator. So if less than 15% don't even export their images and less than 30% don't shoot tethered - should that also mean that P1 is going to exclude exporting and tethered shoot from a potential mobile version? I think not.

Again: I don't doubt that the IPP is fast, It certainly is! But I have my doubts about it sustaining this speed (and stability) over an extended period since it's not actively cooled. Heat is a always an issue, especially for a hand-held device.

Laptops are generally not as powerful as a desktop PC and you can occasionally read some people on this forum complain about how slow Capture One is or that it doesn't use hardware acceleration - and it turns out they are running it on an older laptop.

Anyway the user base for iPad Pros is very small too and that should be taken into consideration. The demand for an Android version of the Capture Pilot app is certainly bigger than any demand for an iPadPro specific version of Capture One. So I think that won't be happening anytime soon.
C-M-B

Postby Reign of Crows » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:19 pm

NN635412303032341950UL wrote:It's not a rumor anymore. Because they announced the project called Catalyst. It's a project that both iOS and MacOS apps can be used on both Mac and mobile devices. They already planned to allow both apps to be used on ARM and Intel-based devices.

Catalyst allows iOS developers to port their apps to Mac, but not the other way around. That's an important distinction, because if you wanted the Mac to change architectures then you would want your native Mac developers to begin converting their applications to ARM. As it stands, Catalyst allows iOS developers (who outnumber Mac developers at this point) to increase their market base, which has the double benefits of revitalizing the Mac ecosystem while creating yet another selling point for mobile developers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does create an ARM-based Mac at some time in the future, but Catalyst isn't the signal that it's going to happen.

NN635412303032341950UL wrote:Also, Intel is already expected that Apple will start using ARM-based MacBook in 2020 instead of Intel CPU. No matter what people say, Apple will eventually start using ARM CPU on Mac instead of Intel CPU.

It really doesn't matter what a few Intel employees gossiped about - that's not a signal for anything other than Intel worrying about their business. It isn't grounded in anything like acquisitions or official communications from Apple.
Reign of Crows

Postby PSS » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Hasselblad announced Phocus mobile 2 today with direct iPad tether....
PSS

Postby NN635412303032341950UL » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:48 pm

PSS wrote:Hasselblad announced Phocus mobile 2 today with direct iPad tether....

Yup, at this point, Phase One need to respond asap.
NN635412303032341950UL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Previous

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac