Canon 5div not tethering until removing memory cards

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Canon 5div not tethering until removing memory cards

Postby NN134857UL2 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:58 pm

For the first time ever using C1 (using 11 & 12) on a MacBook Pro (Mojave 10.14.5) my Canon 5D4 cameras would not tether. After pulling my hair out for about 3 hours of trouble shooting the solution was to pull the memory cards from the camera.

It would appear something (possibly Apple's latest system update?) tries to import the images from the cards before C1 can connect?

Anyone else with this issue?
NN134857UL2

Re: Canon 5div not tethering until removing memory cards

Postby Andy P » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:30 am

Yes ,same happening to me with my new MacBook Pro running Mojave with 5Dmk4 and 5DSR Capture version 11

A computer graphic appears on the back of the camera LCD screen when connected viaUSB ,which will only disappear if there are no cards in the camera.

Really irritating me ,as if you have cards in the camera if you lose your USB connection during shooting it will at least then register on the card, without any card in the camera you have lost that shot, can't currently find a way round this via Googling.
Andy P

Postby NN113915UL1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:56 pm

I just confirmed this problem as well, what is odd is that it was working for a couple of weeks and now will not. Eos utility will connect after about 20 seconds. I was about to give up and then pulled both cards out and connected immediately.
Does anyone have a solution?
NN113915UL1

Postby NN134857UL2 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:51 pm

Oddly the problem does not occur with my Canon 5DsR body, only my 5Dmk4 bodies.
Possibly iCloud (or similar) trying to sync and upload images from the cards, thus blocking C1 for connecting?
NN134857UL2

Postby Laurent DUBIN » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:10 pm

You can try to open the app "transfer d'image" in French (perhaps picture transfer ?), connect your canon, and in the bottom of the left column, you can choose the app to connect to the Mac with each camera.

it was a workaround for connecting, no idea about the card problem ...

Laurent
Laurent DUBIN

Postby SFA » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Andy P wrote:Yes ,same happening to me with my new MacBook Pro running Mojave with 5Dmk4 and 5DSR Capture version 11

A computer graphic appears on the back of the camera LCD screen when connected viaUSB ,which will only disappear if there are no cards in the camera.

Really irritating me ,as if you have cards in the camera if you lose your USB connection during shooting it will at least then register on the card, without any card in the camera you have lost that shot, can't currently find a way round this via Googling.

Andy,

Full C1 tethering takes control of the camera in a way that eliminates most of the internal features including writing to its memory cards.

The alternative is to forego the ability to control the camera from the computer and use the Hot Folder option to facilitate C1 access to the incoming and transferred files.

Have you considered that?

If not here is an article for reference.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Arti ... nguageid=1
SFA

Postby SFA » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:47 pm

NN134857UL2 wrote:Oddly the problem does not occur with my Canon 5DsR body, only my 5Dmk4 bodies.
Possibly iCloud (or similar) trying to sync and upload images from the cards, thus blocking C1 for connecting?

A long shot but it maybe will suggest something.

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=29936&p=148857&hilit=tethering+canon#p148857

Google Cloud Storage apparently conflicting with tethering.

Why only one type of camera (in the situation described above) may be a bit odd but perhaps things like storage can be set up 'disk' by disk and the Camera device is recognised for some reason? Maybe even the card in the camera?

Just a guess, speculation or whatever you may want to call it ...
SFA

Postby Andy P » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:26 pm

SFA wrote:
Andy P wrote:Yes ,same happening to me with my new MacBook Pro running Mojave with 5Dmk4 and 5DSR Capture version 11

Andy,

Full C1 tethering takes control of the camera in a way that eliminates most of the internal features including writing to its memory cards.

The alternative is to forego the ability to control the camera from the computer and use the Hot Folder option to facilitate C1 access to the incoming and transferred files.

Have you considered that?

If not here is an article for reference.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Arti ... nguageid=1

Hi SFA ,
Thanks for the input
To be honest the easiest way round this issue is to take your memory cards out of the camera.
I shoot tethered a lot more than using cards ,it's my normal way of shooting .

I'm just trying to find out why it's changed from how it used to be, but I'm sure someone here will work it out :)

Cheers
Andy
Andy P

Postby SFA » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi Andy,

OK, we seem to have people with different preferences posting in the thread so it's getting a bit difficult to keep tabs on who prefers what!

It was your last paragraph in your earlier comment that led me to the Hot Folder suggestion.
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac