View all images within album group/folder.

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

View all images within album group/folder.

Postby Rip_McAfee » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:27 am

I'm an organization freak. Folders within folders within folders. Keeps things organized. I do this in Capture One as well. I have many albums, with many folder hierarchies for said albums. However, while useful for organization, the drawback (currently) is that I can only view so many images at a time since my albums only hold so many images.

Simple enough request: I'd like to be able to select a folder, and see all the images from all the albums within that folder. This would save time, and allow me to, say, select my "April" sub folder, filter by three stars, and then see all 3 star images from my various April albums.

Yes, there are workarounds for this. I could use keywords instead of small albums for sorting, for example. But I like my folder hierarchies, and I hope I'm not the only one who would enjoy this feature.
Rip_McAfee

Re: View all images within album group/folder.

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:27 am

If you organise your albums within Projects, you can select the Project and see all the images in every album.

I think that's what you are looking for?
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby Rip_McAfee » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:23 pm

Eric Nepean wrote:If you organise your albums within Projects, you can select the Project and see all the images in every album.

I think that's what you are looking for?

Hey, thanks for the reply. Sadly no, this is not what I'm looking for. I'm aware of the function though. This is in fact what I currently do to try to mitigate my issue. However, I cannot put projects within projects, meaning I only have one level of hierarchy available for viewing all images. Workable, but certainly not ideal.
Rip_McAfee

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:54 pm

I find that I can achieve a multi level hierarchy by placing Groups under Projects, and then either Albums or Groups under those Groups. In this case, all images can still be viewed in the Project.

I also use Groups at the top level to group Projects.

I think my deepest hierarchy is 8 levels.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby Rip_McAfee » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 pm

Maybe I'm missing something then? If I have a folder inside a project, all images within the folder do not show in the overall project.
Rip_McAfee

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:25 pm

I just checked one of my Catalogs to be sure of my answer.
1) I cannot create a Group or Project in the Folders part of the Library, only the User Collections part.
Hence I cannot put folders in a project or group.

2)Hierarchy Check:
In User Collections part of the Library
Top Level is Project “Incoming”
Inside this Project (Second level) is a number of Albums, and a Group “Test”
Inside Group “Test” (Third Level) is an Album “Algonquin” containing 31 variants. These variants are only in this album.(confirmed this using my “Find User Collections” script)

Select Project “Incoming”. I can see the variants in Album “Algonquin”

(I made a special check, because in many Projects I have one or more Albums “All Images” at top level inside the Project- I wanted to make sure that my result was not due to presence of such an Album, which it wasn’t). These are not necessary but I find them handy.

This goes back to the Phase One concept that Albums only contain Variants, the Images associated with the Variants are held in the Project and in the Catalog. When you select a Project, you see all the Variants of all its Images, which is all the Variants in all the Albums inside the Project.

Groups don’t hold Images or Variants, they just hold Projects, Albums, Smart Albums and other Groups. So selecting a Group shows no Variants.
Cheers, Eric
Eric Nepean

Postby Tim Trim » Wed May 01, 2019 3:51 am

Have you tried using the All Images collection, then using the filters. It automatically divides by year, month, day so click the filter then apply the 3* filter on top by command clicking on that filter too. I appreciate some people like to file and create convoluted folder hierarchies but to mind it is easier to assign metadata and let computers do the searching. You don't even need to apply metadata to achieve a date based hierarchy in a C1 catalog regardless of how you physically store images. Isn't one of the reasons for a DAM to make the physical location of images irrelevant to a degree?
Tim Trim

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac