Syncing metadata between RAW and JPG

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Syncing metadata between RAW and JPG

Postby Mephisto26 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:01 pm

Good evening!

I just started using C1P to manage and edit my Fujifilm RAW and JPG files (X-E2 and X100F). As Fuji already has a rather nice JPG output, I shoot both formats and am quite happy with the JPGs most of the time.

As I do not want to use another program for culling my images, I try to assign star ratings to my RAWs and then sync them to my JPGs in order to discard the non-keepers etc. So I rate the RAWs, select all images in the respective folder and then use Image -> Sync Metadata. On import I paired the RAWs and JPGs. The status bar starts working right away and it looks like the metadata are actually synced. Alas, after the process is finished, nothing has happened. Only when I finish the process for the second time do I see the synced star ratings. Is this a known issue and is there already a fix?

I am using a MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch (late 2013) on macOS Mojave 10.14.4 and Capture One Pro 12.0 (build 12.0.0.270). I will update my C1P version, but maybe this issue is already known.

And while we are at it; how come that GPS data already embedded in the original files I imported are only shown when the HD with my original images is connected to the computer? I thought that this information would be included in the smart previews, metadata, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Best regards

Florian
Mephisto26

Re: Syncing metadata between RAW and JPG

Postby OddS » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:37 am

NNN635233522023747827 wrote:...I try to assign star ratings to my RAWs and then sync them to my JPGs in order to discard the non-keepers etc. So I rate the RAWs, select all images in the respective folder and then use Image -> Sync Metadata.

C1 never overwrites image files. Thus, C1 will not update metadata embedded in an image file, be it a raw file, a jpeg file or other.

C1 reads metadata embedded in image files plus metadata stored in accompanying xmp sidecar files. C1 keeps metadata in data structures inside the C1 database, the catalog database or the session database, depending on how you use C1.

Sync Metadata means C1 updates content in sidecar xmp files to be "in sync" with metadata in the C1 database. This is (only) useful if you want to transfer metadata from C1 to other applications that can read and "understand" xmp sidecar files. C1 does indeed overwrite sidecar xmp files, they are not image files.

C1 can embed metadata in image files created new by C1, such as in new jpeg files created by C1 process/export. Try it and see what you find.
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:28 am

I've been wondering for years how this works. What a great explanation.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby Mephisto26 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:15 pm

OddS wrote:C1 never overwrites image files. Thus, C1 will not update metadata embedded in an image file, be it a raw file, a jpeg file or other.

Thanks for the clarification! However, I guess my wording was imprecise. I did not actually mean the file itself but rather the metadata database entry of the JPG file as opposed to the entry of the RAW file. My aim is to rate images to be deleted at a later stage with one star, images worth keeping with three stars, and rather special ones with four stars. Obviously, I do not want to do this rating step for both RAW and JPG images (or rather their respective database entries). Therefore, I rate the RAW entry and try to sync this to the paired JPG entry. This works as promised but, as I said, just after a second run. Therefore I have to hit "Sync Metadata" and wait for the process to finish twice and wanted to know whether this is a bug (my guess) or the correct behaviour. That's all.
Mephisto26

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed May 01, 2019 5:28 pm

The behaviour seems a bit odd at first glance, but I wonder if what is happening is that the first sync creates a new XMP file from the RAW metadata, and the second sync imports the XMP data into the JPG.

It would be useful to know what the sync settings are in your C1 preferences.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby Mephisto26 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Eric Nepean wrote:The behaviour seems a bit odd at first glance, but I wonder if what is happening is that the first sync creates a new XMP file from the RAW metadata, and the second sync imports the XMP data into the JPG.

It would be useful to know what the sync settings are in your C1 preferences.

This might well be the reason. I will check this during my next culling session. Thank you!
Mephisto26

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac