variants and albums

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

variants and albums

Postby anderl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:04 am

hey guys,

i work a lot with variants. when done editing an image i often end up with two or three variants. one will be cropped for instagram another for printing and so on.
i add a color tag for these variants and they move to a smart album automatically.

lets say i want to set up another album and want to add one of these variants -it always adds all already created variants in this new album.

why is that so?
the only workaround for me is another smart album and add keywords to a variant.

is there really no way to add just one simple variant of an image to a new album. am i missing something?
appreciate any help. thx.
anderl

Re: variants and albums

Postby Eric Nepean » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 am

NNN636791388869334194 wrote:hey guys,

i work a lot with variants. when done editing an image i often end up with two or three variants. one will be cropped for instagram another for printing and so on.
i add a color tag for these variants and they move to a smart album automatically.

lets say i want to set up another album and want to add one of these variants -it always adds all already created variants in this new album.

why is that so?
the only workaround for me is another smart album and add keywords to a variant.

is there really no way to add just one simple variant of an image to a new album. am i missing something?

Unfortunately, you have hit the nail on the head.

This is precisely how Capture One works, and you have clearly identified the main drawback.

About your only choice is to set a filter in the album that only passes variants with a keyword that matches the album name.

That gets cumbersome when you try to add new variants or create new variants, because they are hidden by default. (Although I could write a simple Applescript that creates a new variant, and adds a keyord which is the name of the collection. Slightly better but still cumbersome)
Eric Nepean

Postby SFA » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:59 am

NNN636791388869334194 wrote:hey guys,

why is that so?

There is a single edit instruction file for each image.

The file may have multiple subsections for each variant edit. It is possible to have many variant edits. They share the same base thumbnail and base preview file.

If you always have the same variant type in the same "position" for each output type - the position relates to its the variant's promotion or demotion level and things will depend on what way you may use that feature - then you could quite easily identify the specific use variants by filtering based on their 'position' in that hierarchy.

This will no doubt work fantastically for some people and not at all for others!

I hope this information of of some sort of use even though it may not me the full answer you would like to see.

Grant
SFA

Postby anderl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:08 am

wow this sucks. now i have to figure out new ways to get my library organized.
lets hope i dont want to make a best of album of my ex gf late at night. i just dont want to see all VERSIONS of her.
anderl

Postby SFA » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 am

NNN636791388869334194 wrote:wow this sucks. now i have to figure out new ways to get my library organized.
lets hope i dont want to make a best of album of my ex gf late at night. i just dont want to see all VERSIONS of her.

Just put her in a separate catalogue. Or, perhaps better, a separate session.

Grant
SFA

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:55 am

I've been thinking how this might be done.

If I was able to design and modify the SW I'd create a new type of collection - an album that holds only selected variants. A "Selected Variants Album" (SVA for short).

That's not going to happen in this universe timeline, but I can do something almost like this.

I can make a Smart Album, and call it SVA_Something, where Something is a different description for each SVA album.

Now I can make the rule of this Smart Album such that it selects all variants with the keyword SVA_Something (the Smart Albums name)

Finally, I can write an Applescript that:
1) Prompts for the name of the Smart Album (the part after "SVA_")
2) Creates the Smart Album with this name and the rule
3) Assigns this keyword to all selected variants

Project for this upcoming weekend, I already have all the pieces from other Applescripts.
Eric Nepean

Return to Capture One 12.x Software