New MacBook Pro - is a lot of RAM important?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

New MacBook Pro - is a lot of RAM important?

Postby feinklick » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Hello,

I'm planning to replace my old MPB 2012 non retina with a new MBP 2018 retina, 2,2 GHz, 512 GB, 555X graphics. It's for my main work.

My question:
Is 32 GB the better choice working with C1/Affinity Photo/PS? Or does that matter for photo editing in C1?
It's 400 Euro more for the RAM upgrade.

Because the memory is not interchangeable, I have to make the decision now. But it only makes sense if it's worth it for my photo editing workflow. All other apps I'm using for work, are not that RAM hungry.
C1 is the only app, I have to use on the MBP exclusively.

I'm using 2 Fuji XT-2 and shoot in RAW (~25MB/photo), mostly landscape and street. No wedding etc with thousands of pics in one session to batch process.

My plan is to use C1 on the iPad Pro 12.9 2018 connected wireless to the MBP via Luna Display for editing on screen with the apple pencil (like an intuos). This works pretty well and fluent, I have tested it the last two weeks with the old MBP. But the resolution can't reach full retina on iPad while connecting to the old MBP. So I have to upgrade the old lady (MBP 2012) to a retina one. :D

THX a lot

Best
Stefan
feinklick

Re: New MacBook Pro - is a lot of RAM important?

Postby tenmangu81 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi,

The release notes say "16+ GB RAM".
I have 16 GB, and I sometimes use C1, Affinity Photo, and Photoshop simultaneously open, and I haven't any issue.
tenmangu81

Postby feinklick » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:21 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:Hi,

The release notes say "16+ GB RAM".
I have 16 GB, and I sometimes use C1, Affinity Photo, and Photoshop simultaneously open, and I haven't any issue.

thx for the fast reply. That gives hope :D 8)
feinklick

Postby fatihayoglu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Maybe it is enough today, but nobody can guarantee down the line in 3 years time. So, if you can spend extra 400EUR, I'd suggest to do it.
fatihayoglu

Postby feinklick » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:12 pm

fatihayoglu wrote:Maybe it is enough today, but nobody can guarantee down the line in 3 years time. So, if you can spend extra 400EUR, I'd suggest to do it.

Yes, that´s true. I have to think about it.
Thx for your post.
feinklick

Postby cdc » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:04 am

I think you'll be fine with 16gb unless your editing video or processing very large files (big stacks/panoramas, lot of PS layers, etc). Even then everything will still work, it'll just bottleneck and slow down. I think you'll see more of a day to day difference if you put money towards upgrading the CPU & GPU. I've got a 13" MBP w/16GB ram running 36mp files through it and the only bottlenecks I ever see are CPU bound (2.6GHz i5).
cdc

Postby feinklick » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:40 am

CDC wrote:I think you'll be fine with 16gb unless your editing video or processing very large files (big stacks/panoramas, lot of PS layers, etc). Even then everything will still work, it'll just bottleneck and slow down. I think you'll see more of a day to day difference if you put money towards upgrading the CPU & GPU. I've got a 13" MBP w/16 GB ram running 36mp files through it and the only bottlenecks I ever see are CPU bound (2.6GHz i5).

Hi CDC,

THX for your reply. I'm absolutely with you for now. But the new mac book pro should last for the next 3-5 years for me. So I have chosen the 32gb MBP. Who knows what comes in the next 2-3 years. The technological progress runs fast.

THX for all your comments.

Always good light! :)
feinklick

Postby Nature Isme » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:01 pm

I'm inclined to the "16 GB is enough" camp. Reason: when the Mac "runs out" of memory, it swaps some of the memory contents to main drive (page/swap activity). That could be pretty slow when the "main drive" was a spinning disk. But recent MBP "drives" are extremely fast solid state memory. Not as fast as RAM, but awfully fast. I'd lean toward putting the money toward a larger drive than more RAM. Unless you're working with large video, PS, CAD or similar files, I'd be surprised if most users would be bothered by page/swap activities, but you'd definitely be bothered if you ran out of disk space.
Nature Isme

Postby SFA » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Nature Isme wrote:I'm inclined to the "16 GB is enough" camp. Reason: when the Mac "runs out" of memory, it swaps some of the memory contents to main drive (page/swap activity). That could be pretty slow when the "main drive" was a spinning disk. But recent MBP "drives" are extremely fast solid state memory. Not as fast as RAM, but awfully fast. I'd lean toward putting the money toward a larger drive than more RAM. Unless you're working with large video, PS, CAD or similar files, I'd be surprised if most users would be bothered by page/swap activities, but you'd definitely be bothered if you ran out of disk space.

But when you do run out of memory the disk swapping activity can be quite significant -- and you will always end up running out of disk space no matter how much you start with. :shock:

Grant
SFA

Postby cdc » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 pm

feinklick wrote:
Hi CDC,

THX for your reply. I'm absolutely with you for now. But the new mac book pro should last for the next 3-5 years for me. So I have chosen the 32gb MBP. Who knows what comes in the next 2-3 years. The technological progress runs fast.

THX for all your comments.

Always good light! :)

Probably not a bad choice, all things being equal I'd rather have 32gb ram as well. And ideally one would be able to max out RAM, CPU, GPU, & SSD specs. Just keep in mind that you'll only see a performance increase at times when 16gb ram is not enough, which could be never depending on your needs, where as upgrading the CPU will show increased performance every time you use the computer, and an upgraded GPU will help with faster preview generation of images and processing out images in Capture One every time you use it.
cdc

Postby feinklick » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:21 am

THX for all your help.

Since the planned device is currently not available, I have decided for the following device

MacBook Pro 2,6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 560X, 512 GB SSD.

I think, this one should be really fine with C1 as well. :mrgreen:
It should be enough for the next few years. I hope...
feinklick

Postby fatihayoglu » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:04 am

I'd also bump up GPU. Although CO uses OpenCL now, soon they will have to use Metal which will bring some possible performance increase. You are right about not choosing i9 processor as the review says it gets hot quickly and hit throttling issue.
Again think about, how long you want to use and how much money you can spend most. It is Apple, famous with non upgradable parts :)
fatihayoglu

Postby feinklick » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:28 am

fatihayoglu wrote:I'd also bump up GPU. Although CO uses OpenCL now, soon they will have to use Metal which will bring some possible performance increase. You are right about not choosing i9 processor as the review says it gets hot quickly and hit throttling issue.
Again think about, how long you want to use and how much money you can spend most. It is Apple, famous with non upgradable parts :)

Yes Appleˋs upgrade politic is really bad... :mrgreen:

The vega was out of my budget. 3170 Euro was my absolute limit for the configuration in the post above. Unfortunately the prices in Germany are a lot higher than in USA.
feinklick

Postby fatihayoglu » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 pm

feinklick wrote:
fatihayoglu wrote:I'd also bump up GPU. Although CO uses OpenCL now, soon they will have to use Metal which will bring some possible performance increase. You are right about not choosing i9 processor as the review says it gets hot quickly and hit throttling issue.

Yes Appleˋs upgrade politic is really bad... :mrgreen:

The vega was out of my budget. 3170 Euro was my absolute limit for the configuration in the post above. Unfortunately the prices in Germany are a lot higher than in USA.

I guess you can recover what you need with a eGPU in the future :)
fatihayoglu

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac