Lens data different in JPG and RAW

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Lens data different in JPG and RAW

Postby Etienne44 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:04 am

Hi there,
I have a Fujinon XF35 F2 on my X-T2.

When I take a JPG+RAW photo and import them into Capture One 12 Fujifilm edition, I see 2 different Exif data for my lens.
The JPG says: “XF35mmF2 R WR"
The RAF says: "Fujifilm Fujinon XF35mmF2 R WR"

So filtering is thus 2 lines for 1 lens....

In Lightroom it only shows XF35mmF2 R WR, so I wonder is this a C1 issue or an firmware issue in the lens/camera? (I run the latest version of the software and the firmwares).

Anyone else noticed this?

Etienne
Etienne44

Re: Lens data different in JPG and RAW

Postby Eric Nepean » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:43 pm

I observe with EXIFtool that for Cameras (Panasonic, Olympus) there a multiple EXIF entires for lens type, and they are not the same in RAW and JPRG files.

But you are lucky that Capture One supports this at all, Capture One does not supply any lens name at all for JPEG image files from Panasonic cameras.

I have rasied tickets on this many times, the CO supporter checks and agrees with me that it is missing and that it should be present, the ticket is eventually closed and Capture One never ever does anything about it.
Eric Nepean

Postby SFA » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Etienne44 wrote:Hi there,

When I take a JPG+RAW photo and import them into Capture One 12 Fujifilm edition, I see 2 different Exif data for my lens.

In Lightroom it only shows XF35mmF2 R WR, so I wonder is this a C1 issue or an firmware issue in the lens/camera? (I run the latest version of the software and the firmwares).

Etienne

I wonder what would happen if another manufacturer produced a lens that identified itself as "XF35mmF2 R WR"?

I suppose in a Fuji created jpg is might not matter unless it was a 3rd part lens for Fuji cameras that happened to use the same name.

But if Fuji lenses might be used on other cameras the extended name would be useful information.

Can you just search on 'XF35mmF2 R WR' ?

Grant
SFA

Postby Etienne44 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:18 pm

I wonder what would happen if another manufacturer produced a lens that identified itself as "XF35mmF2 R WR"?

I suppose in a Fuji created jpg is might not matter unless it was a 3rd part lens for Fuji cameras that happened to use the same name.

But if Fuji lenses might be used on other cameras the extended name would be useful information.

Can you just search on 'XF35mmF2 R WR' ?

Grant[/quote]

I can create an smart album with lens containing that, but that kind of makes the lens section obsolete....

I did notice that for my kit lens 18-55mm, all of the JPGs have no brand name in them, but also some of RAF files. While other RAF files have the brandname in it, so a bit intermittent.....looks buggy to me then.

All the images are unedited and only color tagged and all colors are in both categories.

Please CO, fix this. I run 12.0.3 now.
Etienne44

Postby hendrik_p » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:45 am

Etienne44 wrote:Hi there,

Etienne

You can filter all your jpg and raw images using only “XF35mmF2 R WR" so what's your point?

Henk
hendrik_p

Postby VAD. » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Most probably in case of .jpg is just an info on used lens as the jpeg is saved in camera with the lens correction applied. In case of .raf files the lens correction is done in Capture One based on lens EXIF and the different naming
is probably a technical trick used by programers. I think so, but maybe I'm totally wrong.
Someone from P/O here to explain?
VAD.

Postby Etienne44 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:46 pm

You can filter all your jpg and raw images using only “XF35mmF2 R WR" so what's your point?

Henk

Only with a smart album, in the filter settings there are two lines.

I also saw as a I used a manual lens last week, I have my camera set at 12mm for identification, that the JPG and RAW are different here too in the filtering:
RAW: 12mm
JPG: 12.0mm

So you get more lines per lens and you can't toggle both at the same time. Creating a smart album is a workaround but not convenient.
Etienne44

Return to Capture One 12.x Software