Clicking enclosing folder does not show pictures

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Clicking enclosing folder does not show pictures

Postby wok4 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Beginners question:

I have a parent folder in C1, and in this folder are several folders with pictures in it, like so:

Pictures
-Weddings
- The Myers Sept. 17
- The Mullers, Okt. 17

Coming from lightroom, I would expect that clicking on the "Weddings" - folder shows pictures of the Myers and Mullers - folder, but that is not so.
Same goes for albums.

Am I missing a setting?

Thanks

Wolfgang
wok4

Re: Clicking enclosing folder does not show pictures

Postby Ian3 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:33 pm

(I'm assuming you are working in a catalog, not a session.)

If you click on a folders in the Folders section of the Library tool, you won't see the contents of any subfolders.

BUT you need to see the powerful features available in the User Collections section of the Library tool. Here you can create

- Albums
- Smart Albums
- Projects
- Groups.

You could, for example, create a Project called Weddings, and have albums within that for

- Myers
- Mullers

etc. Then clicking on Weddings will show you all the wedding photos, or clicking on Myers will show you only the Myers ones.

You can populate the Myers and Mullers albums just by dragging images in, or if you have used perhaps keywords on them you could instead use smart albums that would populate themselves - so any image with Myers in the keywords would automatically go in the Myers smart album. (Adding images to an album or smart album doesn't make copies of the images, requiring more storage space. It just creates shortcuts to them - they are virtual collections.)

You'd probably find this really helpful: the recent webinar on Organising your catalog. https://youtu.be/nDJR4Zcd1Lw

Ian
Ian3

Re: Clicking enclosing folder does not show pictures

Postby wok4 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi Ian!

Thanks for the great link to the very helpfull webinar!

Now waiting for the lens profiles for the Nikon Z, and then starting with C1...

Wolfgang
wok4

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac