Waveform for editing (Feature Request)

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Waveform for editing (Feature Request)

Postby Dom » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi,

DPReview TV just posted a video about using a waveform for exposure instead of the histogram since it shows the brightness of parts of the scene in relation to other parts of the scene, and also where in the scene the objects are.
In the examples shown, the waveform also provides the colour of the object whose brightness is represented.

Just throwing this out there that editing by this method would be a great feature for a future release of Capture One. I see it either extending the luma range tool, or complementing it by linking features of the advanced colour editor with the luma range tool. e.g. Select a combination of colour and luma values, maybe allowing them to be restricted to a section of the frame not only to allow more precise editing without painting a mask, but also to allow the selections to better apply to a range of images from the same shoot.

Here is the video that sparked this post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAT-mjS2kyc
Dom

Re: Waveform for editing (Feature Request)

Postby VAD. » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Interesting, but is the benefit really so huge as sugested?
VAD.

Postby SFA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:51 pm

VAD. wrote:Interesting, but is the benefit really so huge as sugested?

A good question.

Also is it safe to assume that the processing required for the amount of the sensor used for most video is somewhat less than the full sensor size and therefore the difference in processing overhead might be quite significant?

I have other questions but not being a video person I probably should find out more about the use of the facility in video before I type something pointless and attract criticism!

Grant
SFA

Postby myotis » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:29 pm

SFA wrote:
VAD. wrote:I
I have other questions but not being a video person I probably should find out more about the use of the facility in video before I type something pointless and attract criticism!

Affinity Photo offers scopes (waveforms)

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj ... pe%20panel

And offer a few videos on using them for stills.

Cheers,

Graham
myotis

Postby SFA » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:55 am

myotis wrote:
SFA wrote:
VAD. wrote:I

Affinity Photo offers scopes (waveforms)

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj ... pe%20panel

And offer a few videos on using them for stills.

Cheers,

Graham

Thanks Graham,

Now that you mention it I vaguely recall spotting some things in Affinity that looked interesting but for which I had no immediate understanding or thought of using.

Now you have pointed it out I can have a play. (This probably shows how rarely I dive into Affinity ....)

Grant
SFA

Postby myotis » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:40 am

SFA wrote:Now you have pointed it out I can have a play. (This probably shows how rarely I dive into Affinity ....)

I too rarely open AP as I am too wedded to PS and some PS only plugins like Lumenzia, but I often hear some really good comments about AP from long term PS users who seem to be using both, but for different things, and feel I should be looking at it a more closely.

As an aside, if you want to round trip from C1 to AP (edit with) you need to use PSDs (not TIFFS) and go into the AP preferences and tell AP to overwrite PSDs. It them mimics Photoshop.

Graham
myotis

Postby SFA » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:25 pm

myotis wrote:
SFA wrote:Now you have pointed it out I can have a play. (This probably shows how rarely I dive into Affinity ....)

I too rarely open AP as I am too wedded to PS and some PS only plugins like Lumenzia, but I often hear some really good comments about AP from long term PS users who seem to be using both, but for different things, and feel I should be looking at it a more closely.

As an aside, if you want to round trip from C1 to AP (edit with) you need to use PSDs (not TIFFS) and go into the AP preferences and tell AP to overwrite PSDs. It them mimics Photoshop.

Graham

Thanks Graham.

I have not had a chance to investigate yet but as I don't use PS and have never managed to get my head around it. That said I see no reason to round trip to AF. I use sessions so the wider DAM implications of Catalogues are not so applicable in my situation. I doubt that I would expect to undertake any further editing in C1 after AP adjustments. Might as well do it in AP.

I have looked up the AP help section for Scope panel and the Intensity Waveform example illustrated looks, at first sight, rather interesting but after some consideration I'm not so sure what it is telling me nor how I might use it. I guess it's a 'hands on' approach to discovery.

I also note that AP offers various forms of 'forms' under the Scope heading. So perhaps several different approaches to understand?

Would the Feature request, if submitted through the Support Case system, need to propose multiple presentation options in order to fully satisfy the desires of the C1 users posting here?

Grant
SFA

Postby myotis » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:06 pm

SFA wrote:
I use sessions so the wider DAM implications of Catalogues are not so applicable in my situation. I doubt that I would expect to undertake any further editing in C1 after AP adjustments. Might as well do it in AP.

Would the Feature request, if submitted through the Support Case system, need to propose multiple presentation options in order to fully satisfy the desires of the C1 users posting here?

I too use sessions, but they are part of my file management/backup system so PSDs, and final TIFFs/Jpegs (for different purposes) are all contained within the session, so round tripping is important to me. As an aside, I also then catalogue the sessions using Neofinder, which I think gives me the best of both worlds.

As regards the feature request, I don't know what you should ask for. I have only briefly used waveforms during video editing and indeed can't really remember the benefits. Phase One are obviously aware of video tools, as the colour balance (grading) wheels were promoted as something inspired by video editors, so why not just make a general request.

Cheers,
Graham
myotis

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac