Preview unsharp (due to low pixel ratio)

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Preview unsharp (due to low pixel ratio)

Postby NNN636478409391213833 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi everyone!

I experienced an interesting problem and want to let You know about it, since I found a solution that took me some time find.

I created a new catalog and - of course - named it. The name contained a special character, in my case "|".
Then the preview pictures (I mean the main picture in the middle, which is chosen to be currently active in the software) turned out to be very pixilated.

When I loaded the same pictures in another catalog of my Capture One Software or opened them with another software, it all worked just fine, as usual.

Then I found the solution, which seems weird: I renamend the catalog by choosing a name without special characters.
For some reason it now works.
I put it to trial by renaming again with special character and the problem appeared again.

Does this make sense to anybody?

Cheers, Dom
NNN636478409391213833

Re: Preview unsharp (due to low pixel ratio)

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:07 am

Very strange.It needs to be reported as a support case.You would think if Finder was happy with a character, and opened the catalog, it should be ok, except for one possible thing and this is total speculation. Capture One fetches and writes data to the catalog as it runs. If Capture One cannot find the preview because it does not recognize a path with an illegal character, it would not be able to retrieve the preview and it might get stuck.

This still does not explain why it launched a catalog if it had an illegal character in its name. The support team should be able to explain what is actually happening.

Jerry C
NN635680879799322049UL

Re: Preview unsharp (due to low pixel ratio)

Postby SFA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:05 pm

NN635680879799322049UL wrote:Very strange.It needs to be reported as a support case.You would think if Finder was happy with a character, and opened the catalog, it should be ok, except for one possible thing and this is total speculation. Capture One fetches and writes data to the catalog as it runs. If Capture One cannot find the preview because it does not recognize a path with an illegal character, it would not be able to retrieve the preview and it might get stuck.

This still does not explain why it launched a catalog if it had an illegal character in its name. The support team should be able to explain what is actually happening.

Jerry C

Hmm.

As a guess the use of the special purpose "pipe" character was allowed for some reason and a work around to make that possible is applied for names - Catalogue names for example. (Either that or it should not be allowed but is not trapped.)

At some point in the processing to fetch and show previews the code that "allows" the character to be used as a character, rather than its normal use as an instruction, is 'not working as expected' and so proceeds as Jerryc suggests.

Potentially this is obscure enough that normal problem investigation might not recognise the possibility of a single character that might be mistaken for another character "at a glance" since anyone with Unix based OS experience would know that the pipe character is considered to be a reserved character for operational instructions.

Is this the common factor that links so many forum posts about problems with Preview resolution? It seems that such problems only (or at least mostly?) occur in the Mac forum. Which is a little strange.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac