Catalog or sessions

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Catalog or sessions

Postby thedoctor007 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:08 am

I’m looking for the best way to edit my photos but not leave photos on the hard drive after project is finished.
What I normally do is import the photos into The computer with the name of the project then open C1 to cull and edit back to the original file. Then when I’m done I copy the finished and raw files to an external hard drive the erase the original from the computer. I don’t want any of the photos after I am done to take up space. Is there an easier way of doing 5his because I don’t any of the photos to be in a catalog on my computer to save space
thedoctor007

Re: Catalog or sessions

Postby OddS » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:16 am

thedoctor007 wrote:I’m looking for the best way...

Judgement is best left to you, double-o-seven.

thedoctor007 wrote:What I normally do is import the photos into The computer with the name of the project then open C1 to cull and edit back to the original file.

If your raw files change on disk, you'd better find out what software changes them, because it sure isn't C1. C1 does not "edit back to an original" raw file.

C1 records your edit instructions in a database. Essentially, C1 displays an image based on the raw file with the recorded edit instructions applied. C1 lets you export the resulting image to a new image file. Not a raw file, but you can export to some well known image formats. Your edits live in the C1 database until you order C1 to remove them or you delete the database.

In line with C1 not writing to raw (source) image files, C1 does not overwrite its export files either. C1 exports to a new file each time, and some users find that an annoying practice. Do edit->export and then repeat edit->export a few times more to see the effect.

On using catalog or session mode I suggest you read the article: https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/catal ... ttle-times
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby Ian3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:10 am

You've got more than one way to do this.

(1) Use a catalog. The catalog (Capture One's database of images and your adjustments to them) can sit on your computer, but the raw files themselves can be on external storage. (They can alternatively be stored inside the catalog, but that would defeat your purpose of saving space. See the video here https://youtu.be/Voz5vX-YOaw from about 3 minutes in for an explanation of importing images to a catalog, and the difference between storing them in the catalog "managed" or elsewhere "referenced".)

(2) Use sessions. Each project could be a separate session. Once you have finished work on it, you can move the whole session to the external storage. See the same video at 30m50s onwards for explanation of sessions and importing to them.

(3) Use both. Start with a session and when you have finished work on it, import it into your catalog.

Ian

Edited to add: your original question seems to have been posted twice. Perhaps you could delete the one with no responses.
Ian3

Postby MikeFromMesa » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Ian3 wrote:(2) Use sessions.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding sessions, but every time I have tried to create a session from images already copied to the disk (as the OP says he does) I have found that C1 makes a copy of those images, thus creating 2 copies of each image and adding to the space eaten up by processing.

I would like to use sessions instead of catalogs, but the space burden has always kept me from doing so. Or am I mistaken?
MikeFromMesa

Postby Ian3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:46 pm

MikeFromMesa wrote:
Ian3 wrote:(2) Use sessions.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding sessions, but every time I have tried to create a session from images already copied to the disk (as the OP says he does) I have found that C1 makes a copy of those images, thus creating 2 copies of each image and adding to the space eaten up by processing.

I would like to use sessions instead of catalogs, but the space burden has always kept me from doing so. Or am I mistaken?

If you want to use a session with images that are already on your disk, you could proceed in one of at least three ways.

Assuming your images are in folder X, create a session with the default folder structure (Capture, Selects, Output, Trash). Then either

(1) in Finder move the images from folder X to the session Capture folder. Capture One will notice them. Or,

(2) in Capture One's library panel, navigate to folder X, right click it and add it as a session favourite. Or,

(3) use Capture One's import tool to import the images to Capture One. It will copy them to the Capture folder, leaving the original copies in folder X, so you would have to delete them from Folder X afterwards.

Methods (1) and (3) end up with the images in the Capture folder. Method 2 leaves the images in their original location ("Folder X") but adds them to the session.

Ian
Ian3

Postby MikeFromMesa » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Ian3 wrote:If you want to use a session with images that are already on your disk, you could proceed in one of at least three ways.

I have never known that.

I have been using catalogs for years because I did not think there was any way for me to use sessions without the long process of copying and then deleting the images. I tried process (2) adding the folder as a favorite and it worked perfectly so I will start doing that. Thank you for the information.

I guess there must be a ton of functionality in C1 that I have not yet learned - not the editing adjustments which seem largely straight-forward, but things like what you described to me. Perhaps I need to spend more time watching the tutorials.
MikeFromMesa

Postby SFA » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:39 am

Ian3 wrote:[

(3) use Capture One's import tool to import the images to Capture One. It will copy them to the Capture folder, leaving the original copies in folder X, so you would have to delete them from Folder X afterwards.

Indeed - or just delete folder X

On the other hand, depending on needs and personal preferences, the folder could be a great resource for moving to an external archive for backup purposes off site (for example).

There is a case for making an entire session (or even a catalogue) the subject for an archive copy of course and that may better suit many workflows. However I have recently revisited a couple of images I processed some years ago and discovered some far better results than I achieved back then in return for very little effort. That leads me to think that many others might well see similar results when revisiting archived images and so could just possibly mean that a huge archive of images and edits and outputs might, with a few exceptions for the most special images and edits, not be so important as we might like to think.

Revisiting en masse is probably not an logical option - but then how often would anyone do that? Revisiting and starting afresh with a small number of images might well, for many people, provide greater satisfaction.

Just some thoughts about backup and storage.

Of course if one copies from an existing on disk location AND uses revised naming on import there may be no real benefit in keeping the original images with their original names!

Grant
SFA

Postby Emile » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:57 pm

MikeFromMesa wrote:I have never known that.

I have been using catalogs for years because I did not think there was any way for me to use sessions without the long process of copying and then deleting the images. I tried process (2) adding the folder as a favorite and it worked perfectly so I will start doing that. Thank you for the information.

I guess there must be a ton of functionality in C1 that I have not yet learned - not the editing adjustments which seem largely straight-forward, but things like what you described to me. Perhaps I need to spend more time watching the tutorials.

I've tried the catalog time and again and always ran into speed issues with larger numbers of images, so have stuck to sessions and favorite folders. One of the best things of working this way, at least to me, is that all adjustments are written to a CaptureOne folder inside the folders that contain the images, instead of to a database. I'm always scared of losing a database when a computer locks up (haven't had that happening since switching to Mac in 2007 though).

Note that the same speed issues of large catalogs pop up when you add too many favorite folders. The good thing is, you can selectively favorite or un-favorite folders according to your needs, or just browse to a folder without tagging it as a favorite if you only need to access it rarely. It's a pretty flexible setup.
Fujifilm, Mac, Capture One user since v3.0
Emile

Postby thedoctor007 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:50 pm

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses, a lot of great information. only with the music photos I am editing for the music magazine I work with do I need to do this edit and erase after published. With portraits street photos weddings etc. I can use catalogs or sessions because the fact I can erase it off the systems hard drive and put them on an external later is all good. C1 one is a great program for pro work and I can see as updates keep coming and the growth of the C1 community its slowly becoming a one stop editor.
thedoctor007

Postby thedoctor007 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:44 pm

All advice was great but I do have one more question, where do I find the data bases for each session so I can erase it and is there a book or video that has a thorough explanation of really how to use C1 to its potential
thedoctor007

Postby Ian3 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:45 pm

thedoctor007 wrote:All advice was great but I do have one more question, where do I find the data bases for each session so I can erase it and is there a book or video that has a thorough explanation of really how to use C1 to its potential

In the session folder there will be a file called something like session_name.cosessiondb.

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac