Color Editor with Luminosity Masking

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Color Editor with Luminosity Masking

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Are the Color Editor adjustments subject to a Luminosity Mask? That is, if I create a luminosity mask and use the Color Editor, are those edits supposed to be image wide? Or restricted to the areas displayed by the luminosity mask?

I thought that I could adjust the color on one part of the image by creating a LM and making sure that only that part of the image that needed adjustment was affected by the mask, but the Color Editor appears to be adjusting the entire image, so I thought I would ask.
MikeFromMesa

Re: Color Editor with Luminosity Masking

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:22 pm

Yes you should be able to do that. Remember that the luminosity mask has no effect until you have a mask. It works by excluding/including the parts of a mask defined by the luminosity range you set. So say you want to brighten only the darker greens in the foreground of an image, but leave the lighter greens alone. You would (1) draw a mask on the whole of the foreground, (2) select green from a suitable point in the image with the colour picker in the advanced tab of the colour editor tool. (NB the basic colour editor tab won't work with a layer). (3) Brighten the greens using the Lightness slider in the tool. (4) Adjust the luminosity mask to taste until your brightening effect only happens to the range of luminosity you want.

You must do (1) first, but then (2), (3) and (4) could be done in a different order, or indeed be revisited until you are happy with the result.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Mike,

This link should get you to part of the recent Layers Webinar that presents what I think you are wanting to do.

Give the link a couple of seconds to play the video before it gates to the exact match section. (It covers the functionality for an extended purpose a step beyond your question but don't worry about that - the basic principle is what you need.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk4iu12 ... EJLoc9xe8u

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Tim Trim » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:46 pm

I am pretty sure they mentioned that if you have the show selected colour range selected in the tool that still shows the effect across the whole image, but the edits apply only to the (luma) masked portion.
Tim Trim

Postby MikeFromMesa » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:07 am

Thanks for all of the replies. I will take a look at the webinar at the link, but I am pretty sure I know how to use the C1 luminosity masking. All of my other adjustments using LM seemed to work properly, but the Color Editor seemed to affect the entire image rather than just the part masked in by brightness. I thought that there might be an issue with only some controls being affected by the LM as that was the case in version 11.

As for the sequence of steps required, I initially watched one of the C1 tutorials on luminosity masking and have been following those steps and, as I said, aside from the color editor, all of the other adjustments seemed to work properly. Perhaps I just need to be careful to make sure the right layer is selected?
MikeFromMesa

Postby Ian3 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:59 am

All of my other adjustments using LM seemed to work properly, but the Color Editor seemed to affect the entire image rather than just the part masked in by brightness.

Did you know that a quirky feature of the colour editor is that if you choose check box for View Selected Colour Range, it shows the colour range in question for the whole image, irrespective of any mask (whether or not with a Luma Range). So you use that option to assist in adjusting the colour range you want, but only see the proper effect on your masked image if you uncheck that box again. (Sorry if you knew that already!) What you are hoping to do should certainly work - I checked it on an image of mine before replying yesterday.

Ian
Ian3

Postby MikeFromMesa » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Ian3 wrote:Did you know that a quirky feature of the colour editor is that if you choose check box for View Selected Colour Range, it shows the colour range in question for the whole image, irrespective of any mask (whether or not with a Luma Range). So you use that option to assist in adjusting the colour range you want, but only see the proper effect on your masked image if you uncheck that box again. (Sorry if you knew that already!) What you are hoping to do should certainly work - I checked it on an image of mine before replying yesterday.

No, I did not know that, but I think that answers my question. I believe that my luminosity mask was too broad and that some of the part of the image I wanted to protect was not protected enough so the adjustments showed up where they should not have done so.

Checking that box showed me where the selected color was outside of the LM and that allowed me to use the Erase functionality to make my mask less inclusive.

Thank you.
MikeFromMesa

Return to Capture One 12.x Software