Which backup software should I use?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Which backup software should I use?

Postby NN635412303032341950UL » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:15 am

After I had a disaster, I def need a backup software in order to prevent file looses.

Im trying ChronoSync BUT it doesn't support live or real time syncing and backup every min or sec and the shortest interval is an hour! A lot of people saying that ChronoSync is the best but without a live or real time syncing and backup, it's useless to me.

I need and want to find an alternative solution to backup sessions from my laptop to both external SSD AND Google drive simultaneously.

Can anyone recommend a live or real time syncing and backup software?
NN635412303032341950UL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Which backup software should I use?

Postby Reign of Crows » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:19 pm

What types of failures are you trying to avert, and what types of backup are you doing?

For example, if you're trying to avert drive failure issues you could go with a RAID setup. It doesn't technically count as a backup, but it'll get you around the fact that most backup software doesn't backup second-to-second; even if one drive goes down, you should be able to limp by with the other drive(s), definitely for long enough that your backup software would make its backups.

And as for backups, it sounds like you're doing both local and cloud backups.

I've basically described my setup: I use a Drobo for drive redundancy (and also to pool multiple drives for increased total storage; it essentially acts like a RAID 5 device), have Time Machine for local backups (backs up once every hour, rotates backups between two drives), and use Backblaze for cloud-based backup (very affordable, and no storage limit; I have it set to backup in real-time although I've never timed how quickly it catches changes... but it seems to get them within minutes).

The Drobo enclosure, itself, represents a single possible point of failure. It's not necessarily catastrophic (in many cases you can move the drives into a new Drobo and be fine) but it has the potential to be... but I'm not going to mirror two Drobos :mrgreen: For my purposes, I think this is disaster-proof enough.
Reign of Crows

Postby NN635412303032341950UL » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Well, I dont need those types of backup. Im talking about while I tether. This is a different story.

I already tried ChronoSync and Super Duper but they dont support a real-time backup right away and the shortest interval is 1 hour.
NN635412303032341950UL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby SFA » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:30 pm

Sounds like you want some form of directory synchronisation software.

Might be possible to do it with Applescript?

Alternatively there are some options out there but as I have never used any of them I am not in a position to make any sort of implied recommendation so you probably need to search and try them for yourself.

I'm also not a Mac user.

Grant
Last edited by SFA on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFA

Postby Reign of Crows » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:18 am

NN635412303032341950UL wrote:Well, I dont need those types of backup. Im talking about while I tether. This is a different story.

I already tried ChronoSync and Super Duper but they dont support a real-time backup right away and the shortest interval is 1 hour.

Got it, this is about preventing instant loss. What happened that resulted in data loss that you're trying to guard against? I can probably make a better recommendation understanding the setup and circumstances.
Reign of Crows

Postby Perttis » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:21 am

Have you checked sync triggers options at Chronosync?
I have my catalog backup done with chronosync using "options" -> "Sync Triggers" with custom options every 10sec
Perttis

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac