Counter problem driving me nuts

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Counter problem driving me nuts

Postby domx » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:50 am

If "counter not incrementing" is a user-wide problem, and it seems so as other users are finding it and PO have supposedly reported it as a bug, when is it to be fixed?

I have 5 active jobs involving large number of images which I cant watermark with digits for a gallery review by client. the only counter I can use thats unique to each image is the H:M:S time one

Either that or I have 200 images with the same number. Counter token in watermark just shows EMPTYNAME

Ive asked twice support for advice on this and not even received a response.

Am I missing a fix? Please help if so

To me this is not a functionality tweak for an upcoming update, this is a fundamental workflow problem for me and imagine a lot of other users. this is a week since this was flagged on forums as an issue?
domx

Re: Counter problem driving me nuts

Postby Ian3 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:24 am

My experience of this bug is that while the images are being imported, the counter that should say 1 of X images imported, 2 of X images imported, etc doesn't count, so it just says 1 of X images imported although they are actually all successfully being imported. My naming convention for images, applied on import, is date + a counter, so they come out as

2019-02-21-0001
2019-02-21-0002
2019-02-21-0003

and that still works as it should. It's only the display on the import progress bar that doesn't increase its count. So it is only a quirk in the import process that means that I don't know how many images have been imported so far. It doesn't affect anything after that.

If you need a counter attached to images and don't have one, have you tried using the batch rename tool to add one?

Ian
Ian3

Postby domx » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:59 am

Hi Ian, thanks for the response

I have sort of fixed it, but I have a different problem

Import is fine and builds by digits. I don't know whether the menu for 'store within catalog' had got changed to be for reference files only. i don't think so, but i made sure it was to store in catalog

NOW i can Batch rename and the counter works HOWEVER, im getting another odd error, part of the shoot was tethered and part was to camera card, the COUNTER will not tell these apart and gives duplicate numbers (and also mixes them together in the timeline)

so I get
MyUrbanJungle_1469.NEF (from tether)
MyUrbanJungle_1469.NEF (from card)

which appear next to each other in the timeline?

HOWEVER

I reimported a single card-only session and both the import and Batch Rename were fine.

?????

the only thing I can think was the problem catalogs were created in 12 and i tried to rework in them in 12.02

SO, i went back to a recent card only CATALOG (ie one that id already made, not made from scratch) and tried a counter based batch rename. same problem, they all get the same number!

If i had to guess, it looks like V11 was fine, 12 inherently means those images cannot be numbered with counter and 12.02 has fixed it, but NOT for Legacy catalogs? tho that doesn't explain the tether/card duplication

I genuinely have never had a single problem with Counter naming before and certainly this is such a head scratcher

Anyways, ive spent hours being frustrated by this hellppp!
domx

Postby Ian3 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 pm

NOW i can Batch rename and the counter works HOWEVER, im getting another odd error, part of the shoot was tethered and part was to camera card, the COUNTER will not tell these apart and gives duplicate numbers (and also mixes them together in the timeline)

Can you fix that with batch renaming? Perhaps sort them by time (date) and then rename using text and tokens to (text) MyUrbanJungle_ plus (token) [Counter]? To avoid conflicts with existing numbers, I sometimes renumber starting at, say 4001, and then when they are done, rename again starting at 0001. Backup first!

Ian
Ian3

Postby domx » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi Ian, youre a genius!

So the workaround of forcing them into date order and then renaming them works

HOWEVER

this is only for the rebuilt catalog I made. Im still having the 'same number' issue with a batch of 4-5 catalogs i made in the last week or so.
interstingly, you can INDIVIDUALLY batch rename them and the counter its different each time (bit impractical!), its when you try multiple images, even just 2, that just gives the same number

the only way to get round it is to re-import files into a new catalog, then its fine. thats a pain tho, as id done a reaonlb amount to editing in them which im having to recreate

Any idea why this batch of 4-5 catalogs i made recently are creating this error?
domx

Postby Ian3 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Any idea why this batch of 4-5 catalogs i made recently are creating this error?

None at all, I'm afraid.

Ian
Ian3

Postby domx » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:41 pm

Hey no problem, thanks for the feedback, it fixed one of my quandaries

im on the case with Phase One, maybe ill get an answer. if it means I have to rework the rogue catalogues it could be worse

ill post any reply I get

thanks!

Dom
domx

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac