Unable to move image from catalog to referenced file folder

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Unable to move image from catalog to referenced file folder

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:00 am

On my iMac Pro, starting with the latest update to Capture One Pro (COP) 12.0.2, I cannot move managed files (images) in the catalog to referenced file folders. The Move Image dialog box dialog box shows that the selected image will be moved, but clicking on the Move button has no effect. I can still move referenced image files from albums into referenced file folders or between referenced file folders.

I can work around the problem by importing the images to a folder previously added to Folders using Add Folder. This restriction is not normal. The Import destination selected should not have to be a folder already existing in the referenced files folders list. It should only need to be named in the Import dialog box.

I have tried a number of things to correct this including rebooting, uninstalling per the Capture One instructions, and reinstalling. They did not fix the problem.

This is my setup. MacBook Pro and iMac both are running Mojave 10.14.3. MacBook Pro does not exhibit it the problem.

I have submitted a support case noting the above.
NN635680879799322049UL

Re: Unable to move image from catalog to referenced file fol

Postby Eric Nepean » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:40 am

I observe the same behaviour/problem on my late 2015 27" iMac running OSX 10.12.6.

No effect on me as I rarely keep images in the catalog; there is only 1 image I don't really care about in the catalog that I tried.

I have submited a bug report.
Eric Nepean

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:44 am

Since I store images as referenced files, the problem for me is how to transfer images on my laptop when shooting away from home to my main work catalog when I get home. Normally, when traveling, I store images as managed files in a temporary catalog divided into a number of albums on my laptop, make adjustments and add metadata, import that catalog at home into my main work catalog on my iMac, and then move them from that catalog to referenced file folders.

If nothing else, I could export the raw images with adjustments from the laptop catalog and import them into albums in the main catalog on the iMac and then move them into existing or new referenced file folders. I tried it and it is no worse than my old workflow; maybe better.

While I can't import the temporary travel catalog structure as a single unit, this was not such a great thing when you import one catalog into another because, 1. You lose manual image sort order of the imported catalog, 2. You still have to move the files into meaningful locations in the main catalog, and 3. You have to move the image files into referenced file folders (if you use referenced files).

My big concern is that with each new improved version of Capture One, I have to find more ways to work around problems.

Jerry C
NN635680879799322049UL

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:36 am

The support folks confirm that this is a known problem, "There is currently an issue related to the moving of files from one drive to another within Capture One, or to another drive partition even. So I believe it is relates since you are moving files from the managed catalog (on the local drive) to a referenced folder (on an external drive). We will forward this to our developers and we have a few cases like this building up."
------
I tested that explanation, and it is definitely the problem. Both managed and Referenced files cannot be moved between drives. Managed files can be moved to a folder for referenced image files on an internal drive where the catalog is located. Unfortunately, those referenced files cannot be moved to a folder on an external drive.

A workaround would be to copy the catalog to the same drive/partition as the referenced files. With a fast external hard drive or SSD, the loss of speed is negligible, although I have no statistics on relative speeds of various export processes. Having the catalog and referenced files on the same portable drive allows you easily to use either the desktop or laptop to work on a catalog collection without the need to move collection data between them. As always, frequent multiple backups are still a must.

Jerry C
NN635680879799322049UL

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:58 am

I note that the limitation is only moving files from one drive to another. Catalog and referenced files can be on different drives.

I have my Catalogs on SSD2, and my referenced images on SSD1. From Capture One, with a Catalog open (SSD2) I can move referenced images from folder A on SSD1 to folder B on SSD1. I just can't move the referenced images onto any other drive than SSD1.

I also observe that I can import files on drive SSD1 into a Catalog on Main Drive, as referenced images. The referenced files are on SSD1, and the Catalog is on the main drive.
Eric Nepean

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:42 pm

The inability to move files between drives and partitions is most problematic when importing images to the catalog on one drive and attempting to move them out of the catalog to a referenced collection on another drive. Importing them directly into a destination folder on the drive with referenced files avoids the problem, as Eric points out.

There are situations where you cannot avoid files ending up in the catalog. When you import a catalog with managed files into another catalog with referenced files located on a different drive, those files cannot be moved out of that catalog in version 12.0.2.

Support says they have referred this to the development team for a fix. Their current recommendation is revert to version 12.0.1 (which they say might or might not cause other issues with locating files) or one of the solutions previously mentioned in this topic.

I am grateful to support for their rapid response, but would like this to be seen as an opportunity to improve the code validation process. Common configurations (files on more than one drive) should be part of the pre-release testing protocol.

Jerry C
NN635680879799322049UL

Postby DBMoore » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:43 pm

12.01 does work, I had to go back to that and yes tech people know of this bug.
dbm
DBMoore

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac