File Organization Structure for Imports

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

File Organization Structure for Imports

Postby jgcaldwell » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 am

I'm a relatively new user of the software. I have set up my first session and created the proper sessions folder structure (capture, selects, output and trash) which are located on an external hard drive and I imported my RAW files into subfolders under the capture folder created using the image date token. The cosessiondb file is also located next to the session folders on the external hard drive. After importing all of my RAW files, I discovered that not only are the files located in the proper subfolder on my external drive but they have also been copied into my Pictures folder on my internal hard drive into subfolders named the date and time of import of files from the SD card further subdivided into folders named by the date of creation of the images. I did not choose to backup the files upon import since I had already manually created backups of each SD card.

Is this normal to have Capture One copy two versions of the RAW files into two separate locations? If I had chosen to import the files into the Pictures folder on my internal hard drive rather than to an external hard drive, would two versions of the files still be created? I have searched and searched and been unable to find anything addressing my situation.
jgcaldwell

Re: File Organization Structure for Imports

Postby SFA » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:22 am

No normal unless you have enabled the "Backup to" option on import.

Or something is making the copy for you as part of some other, perhaps system level, activity.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN307324UL » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

jgcaldwell wrote:I'm a relatively new user of the software. I have set up my first session and created the proper sessions folder structure (capture, selects, output and trash) which are located on an external hard drive and I imported my RAW files into subfolders under the capture folder created using the image date token. The cosessiondb file is also located next to the session folders on the external hard drive. After importing all of my RAW files, I discovered that not only are the files located in the proper subfolder on my external drive but they have also been copied into my Pictures folder on my internal hard drive into subfolders named the date and time of import of files from the SD card further subdivided into folders named by the date of creation of the images. I did not choose to backup the files upon import since I had already manually created backups of each SD card.

Is this normal to have Capture One copy two versions of the RAW files into two separate locations? If I had chosen to import the files into the Pictures folder on my internal hard drive rather than to an external hard drive, would two versions of the files still be created? I have searched and searched and been unable to find anything addressing my situation.

Did you ever find a solution to the duplicating RAW files?
I have a colleague who has been experiencing the same issue and we need to find a solution to stop it continuing.
NN307324UL

Postby DouglasHarwinCamera » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 pm

The first thing I would do is to reset all the tools in the Import Window.

You can 'reset' all Import settings and make new parameters. In each tab on in the Import window, there are 3 dots "..." (Reset Tool).

I find that looking at Sample Path in Import to tab is helpful e.g. Volumes/1TD/test/Capture/Feb 20 2019, to see where all your imports will be going to.

Make sure "Backup Enabled" in Backup To tool is not checked. Also, check that any other backup software is not running.

Another consideration is to check if Apple's Photo is Auto importing. I have had this happen before.

Hope this helps
Douglas
Harwin Camera Inc.
Douglas Kehl
224 West 35th Street
Suite 808
New York, NY 10001

Office: 212-671-1912 x106
Cell: 917-250-9726
844-4-HARWIN- toll free
douglas@harwincamera.com
www.harwincamera.com