Performance issues??

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Performance issues??

Postby DIFAPhotography » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:45 am

Hi there,

I am running COP12 on a Macbook Pro Retina (mid 2013, SSD, 16GB), and it is pretty slow :(
Never had performance issues up to version 11.
I already lowered the preview mode to 1024px, but even then it takes ages when I am making adjustments.

Is there something I can tweak (without losing my catalogues, or spending money on a newer Macbook :mrgreen: ) to make it run smoother?

Looking forward to your solutions! :D

Thanks in advance,
Faizel
DIFAPhotography

Re: Performance issues??

Postby Ian3 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:53 am

I don't think that lowering the preview size to 1024 is the right thing to do. That way, whenever you want to see an image in the viewer, Capture One can't display the preview, because it isn't big enough, so it has to reference the original raw file to generate something for you to see in the viewer, which takes time. (So there was no point in even having the preview!). You need your preview to be large enough for Capture One not to have to do that, so that it can show you the preview it has already created. The recommendation is to have previews that match your screen resolution. I have a MPB Retina, late 2012, with a resolution of 2560 x 1600, and I use 2560 as the preview size, as recommended.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:43 am

To put it differently, lowering your preview cache size to an low value is by far the most effective way to kill the performance of the fastest machine. :mrgreen:

MBP 13" Retina have a 2560 px size long edge, and the 15" Retina 2880 px. Best to use these values in Preferences and regenerate the previews.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby tenmangu81 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:51 pm

DIFAPhotography wrote:Hi there,

I am running COP12 on a Macbook Pro Retina (mid 2013, SSD, 16GB), and it is pretty slow :(
Never had performance issues up to version 11.

Looking forward to your solutions! :D

Thanks in advance,
Faizel

I have the same config as yours (I still use Sierra), and don't have any issue with version 12. Do you have any other software(s) open when working with C1 ?
tenmangu81

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:To put it differently, lowering your preview cache size to an low value is by far the most effective way to kill the performance of the fastest machine. :mrgreen:

MBP 13" Retina have a 2560 px size long edge, and the 15" Retina 2880 px. Best to use these values in Preferences and regenerate the previews.

Theoretically, this makes sense. I have set my pixel width to 3840 on my iMac Pro, which has a display pixel width of 5120. Setting COP's default pixel width to 5120 and regenerating the previews does not speed up the display of previews in the viewer as I move from one image to the next. If I move at one image per second, there is no delay in display of the image. I can go faster with images with few edits. Of note, the raw images have a pixel width of 5800.

It appears that COP is not using the previews even when they match the resolution of the screen, but rather, it is recalculating the edits on the fly and displaying the results. Also, how would it not be necessary for COP to recalculate the preview displayed as one changes the size of the viewer window regardless of the preview generated?

If the purpose of the preview is only to provide a way of editing an image when a referenced image is off line, that would be another issue I have never tested.
NN635680879799322049UL

Postby DIFAPhotography » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks for your answers. I did put my preview back to 2560px (MBP 2013 Retina 15").
Did not rebooted the system, only restarted the application. Still not as swift as version 11.

I do not run other programs when working in C1. The files are stored on a 2TB USB harddrive. Never had any issues with that.

The only thing I can try is, to remove the application from my system. Reboot the system, and install it again, hopefully the performance will be OK than. But as I got V12 for free (did upgrade to V11 in November, so got the deal when C1 released V12 :D ), do you know if I can still use my license key what I am using now? I see in the system menu that I have 2 "activations" remaining. I do not want to loose that because the system is not working as it should do.
DIFAPhotography

Postby Peter Svancar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:02 pm

you need to regenerate previews if you change the size...

you can try to run the C1 in another user (best create a new one) and check if the performance increases...if yes, something must be killing the performance under normal user
Peter Svancar

Postby Ian3 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:03 pm

You won't lose any activations by reinstalling the app on the same computer. The "activations" just mean that out of the three computers you are allowed to install it on, you have so far only done it on one, and you therefore have two left.

Ian
Ian3

Postby DIFAPhotography » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 am

Thanks Ian! :D
I will try a fresh re-install.

I've also noticed some performance issues with the MBP running on Mojave. Mojave seems to cause also a bit of a problem. A simple Excel spreadsheet can slow down the MBP extremely. In the Activity monitor I've checked the running programs. I see that C1P 12 is using 2.2GB, total available is 16GB, total in use is 6.6GB, I don't think the memory capacity is an issue here. Even when I kill the "big" memory users C1P 12 is running extremely slow.

Keep you posted--
DIFAPhotography

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Before doing a complete reinstall ( and even if doing so) I suggest that you delete or rename Capture One's plist file. The try running Capture One again and see if that is any better.

Uninstalling Capture doesn't remove the plist file; this file sets numerous preferences and history items. If one or a number of these are causing the problem, then just a reinstall won't help.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby DIFAPhotography » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks Eric. I will look up / delete the plist files (first try to find them) and uninstall C1.

The thing that seems to work at the moment was downloading a fresh Mojave version. My MBP is running a bit smoother since then.
DIFAPhotography

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 am

DIFAPhotography wrote:Thanks Eric. I will look up / delete the plist files (first try to find them) and uninstall C1.

The thing that seems to work at the moment was downloading a fresh Mojave version. My MBP is running a bit smoother since then.

You will find the plist file in ~/Library/Preferences (~ is your home directory).

If you try this with Finder, click on "Go" in the top menubar, this brings up a menu - next click the "option" key, this makes "Library" visible and selectable. Select Library, and after that its straightforward,select the Preferences folder and look for com.phaseone.captureone12.plist
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby DIFAPhotography » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi all,

Problem got solved after an OSX update of Mojave. (also MS Office was running slow as %$#@)

what also helps, not creating big catalogues. One of my catalogues, that was running slow, was over 30.000 photo's :roll:
DIFAPhotography

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac