C1 v12 HEIF support?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

C1 v12 HEIF support?

Postby Pavel » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:09 am

approximately 20% of my shooting now is now with my iPhone Xx Max. I use it along with my Nikon D500 and D850 for geotagging and have found it the go to camera for a lot of casual shots, which I want to share with social media. I have edited a few raw files and am actually blown away by the image quality.

Does Capture One v 12 support Apple's HEIF format? I took a quick look, and I couldn't find any info on that, but seeing how much of my photography is now on my iPhone, I'd like to find out if I can have all of my raw processing "under one roof" before I decide if to upgrade to v 12 or not.

So is this new direction supported by Phase One, or not?
Mac OS Mojave
(10.14.1)
Capture One Pro
(12.0.0.270)
Pavel

Re: C1 v12 HEIF support?

Postby NN635397630151564700UL » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:47 pm

This Is exactly my question, too.
Before upgrading to CO12 I need to know wether version 12 supports HEIF or not.

Regards Thomas
NN635397630151564700UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:15 pm

No, HEIC is not supported in CO 12.0. But you do not need that when you have such an amazing iPhone. Install a good camera app like ProCamera and shoot DNG.

And by the way, you can install CO12 and run the 30-day trial. This is where it is made for.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Pavel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:57 am

I downloaded the free trial but will not run it for another week, as I'm so busy over the next little while that I'd waste the week, thus my question.

I need that because I'd like to have everything under one roof in the catalogue, whether for getting the maximum out of the iPhone or just to have the GPS references for the location we shot at.

Though I've been with capture one since version 3, and have always been a big fan of it except for two versions ( 8 and 11) which were so buggy as to make it impossible to use them (I kept on trucking with the previous versions for half a year or so and didn't even buy version 11 for all the crashes) I'm now wondering if Phase One really "gets" that this is not the photographic year of 2004. Cutting edge with file support isn't exactly the name of the game here, as neither is seeing the big picture in regards to upgrade pricing and how Phones are deeply entrenched in peoples lives. If you take your claim of image quality seriously, perhaps you should. try to soo HEIF in a new light. Just as years ago, micro four thirds and Sony, as an example, were under-estimated by the status quo, I get the subtle sense, that perhaps a few old dinosaurs are not adapting to the new landscape. I know, your company is stuck on the "ultimate image quality" parade. Sometimes, in these modern times, the "ultimate", lies in best tool for the moment while considering how important convenience is to the largest mass of consumers at the same time.

So may I please ask, are you planning to support the lowly iPhone or not, in the near future? Or does that bring derisive laughter in your office, over there, somewhere, in the land of "out of touch with the times"?
Mac OS Mojave
(10.14.1)
Capture One Pro
(12.0.0.270)
Pavel

Postby Wesley » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:20 am

Convert your HEIF to JPEG. Shoot in DNG or JPEG if you want to use it for C1 now.

C1 doesn't even support any phone camera raws. I don't expect it to support a new, lossy format anytime soon.
Mac: Late 2011 15" MBP - 16GB 1333MHz - 500GB 850 EVO
Windows: 5.1GHz 9900K - 32GB 3200MHz - 1070 Ti - (2) 1TB 970 EVO
Camera: Nikon D3100, D700, D750
Wesley

Postby SFA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:53 am

Wesley wrote:
C1 doesn't even support any phone camera raws.

Unless they use native dng.
Last edited by SFA on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:48 pm

SFA wrote:
Wesley wrote:
C1 doesn't even support any phone camera raws.

Unless they dng.

Yes, I already suggested that too.

For you information, I have requested iPhone DNG support some time ago and the more requests come in, the better the chances are. Open a case and do a feature request.

Regarding GPS, when travelling I log GPS info and sync it later with my (Sony) raw files before importing in Capture One (afterwards is also possible). Works like a charm.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN635299624516976000UL » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:No, HEIC is not supported in CO 12.0. But you do not need that when you have such an amazing iPhone. Install a good camera app like ProCamera and shoot DNG.

And by the way, you can install CO12 and run the 30-day trial. This is where it is made for.

That doesn't give the same results!
NN635299624516976000UL

Postby JTalbertPhoto » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:00 pm

NN635299624516976000UL wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:No, HEIC is not supported in CO 12.0. But you do not need that when you have such an amazing iPhone. Install a good camera app like ProCamera and shoot DNG.

That doesn't give the same results!

I agree, There are times I have used a program such as ProCam, which is a great program to shoot raw, and I know I need more practice to learn to use it better but I find I have hard times shooting in low light with the app. I find just using the HEIC format to take photos at times I get better results. Again I know a lot of that is me, I dont use the app enough, but the few times I have used it, it has not given me as good as a result as shooting from the native iPhone camera app.

There is an app from a company called imazing that has a free app that will convert HEIC to JPG or PNG. I am going to try that as PNG is a lossless format and may be a better option to convert to PNG before importing to CO for better results. I have been a long time paying customer of imazing and I love their imazing program for backing up and data extraction on iOS devices.

https://imazing.com/heic
Jeff Talbert
@JTalbertPhoto
Nikon D750 , Capture One 12, converter from Lightroom. Mac OS 10.14.1
JTalbertPhoto

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:51 am

JTalbertPhoto wrote:There is an app from a company called imazing that has a free app that will convert HEIC to JPG or PNG. I am going to try that as PNG is a lossless format and may be a better option to convert to PNG before importing to CO for better results. I have been a long time paying customer of imazing and I love their imazing program for backing up and data extraction on iOS devices.

Does the iPhone - Mac combination not automatically convert HEIC to JPG? I had a hard time to get the HEIC from my iPhone to my Mac without the conversion to JPG.

Halftone images in PNG are very large. I would prefer JPG with minimal compression. I have not delved deep into this, however.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Pavel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:30 am

Yes, Paul, it can, if you want it that way. HEIF is approximately half the size of a jpg file, with all the benefits of a Raw file, and a few more advantages. So yes, one could convert, but that is sort of throwing the format's advantages under the bus.

The way HEIF works, on the iPhone XsMax anyways, is. really strange. When you open the file in a HEIF aware app, it is strangely over exposed, but still has every bit of information in it as if you had exposed properly. You can then process the file so that the bright sun, and the dark shadows all have texture and tonality, as if you had shot and properly processed in a low key sort of way, a seven stop HDR image, all with one click. Also, with one click, one can get a motion shot, where the camera capture before and after you tripped the shutter by a quarter of a second on either side, so that you can choose the exact facial expression - for example, from what before would have been one single 1/125th of a second shot. It's quite the different way to think about image making, much like twenty years ago, Raw file processing was a mind shift from the normal jpg shooting.
Mac OS Mojave
(10.14.1)
Capture One Pro
(12.0.0.270)
Pavel

Postby JTalbertPhoto » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:23 am

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:
JTalbertPhoto wrote:There is an app from a company called imazing that has a free app that will convert HEIC to JPG or PNG. I am going to try that as PNG is a lossless format and may be a better option to convert to PNG before importing to CO for better results. I have been a long time paying customer of imazing and I love their imazing program for backing up and data extraction on iOS devices.

Does the iPhone - Mac combination not automatically convert HEIC to JPG? I had a hard time to get the HEIC from my iPhone to my Mac without the conversion to JPG.

Halftone images in PNG are very large. I would prefer JPG with minimal compression. I have not delved deep into this, however.

I have not really don't much converting of HEIC except for when I need to upload a photo I take on my phone on websites or email. I usually use Air drop to transfer the file to my Mac, which keeps it as HEIC. At times I will open it with Photoshop and convert to jpg. Or if I am in a hurry I will open in preview and save as jpg.

I was suggesting PNG for the lossless quality for processing. I don't know how much better, if at all, processing in PNG format would be better than JPG. The other benefit of JPG is it includes all the EXIF data, PNG does not. It will keep the capture date, but from what I see, basically that's it. So no way to know camera, lens settings ETC once you convert to PNG.
Jeff Talbert
@JTalbertPhoto
Nikon D750 , Capture One 12, converter from Lightroom. Mac OS 10.14.1
JTalbertPhoto

Postby samgreen » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:Does the iPhone - Mac combination not automatically convert HEIC to JPG? I had a hard time to get the HEIC from my iPhone to my Mac without the conversion to JPG.

Photos taken on iphone appear automatically in the Photos app on the mac in HEIF format. The original HEIF files can be exported. Conversion to jpeg introduces losses, and takes more space.

Using a 3rd party app on the phone to generate dng's is an option, but then you give up the HDR feature of the native app (which uses multiple exposures), not to mention the convenience of the native app's integration with iOS and the access without unlocking the phone...

HEIF is an ISO standard finalized in 2015. Surely, a competitive image processing program should be able to read it. LightRoom can.
samgreen

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:57 pm

If you are a Capture One user and would like HEIF support, you can suggest it to Phase One. (This is just a user-to-user forum.) To do so you use the support case system.

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac