changing language in C12 and migration questions

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

changing language in C12 and migration questions

Postby NNN636452453518237846 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:40 am

Hello

I would like to change the language of C12. I use MacOs 12. I saw a previous post about same question on C10.

Is it same procedure to change it to english ? I see in the ressources folder called "ja.lproj", would it be enough to change it to "lproj".

The purpose is that I can follow the tutorials.

So far I have been using C1 in DB version. I consider purchasing it Pro version since my version of lightroom is not able to recognise the RAW files of my Nikon Z7. Will be there a good migration tool then C20 will be released ?

I try to use C1 since C10 and each time I upgraded to a new version (C11 then C12), there were no migration of my previous catalogs. I had to import them manually...

Thanks for information in advance and help ! That could convince me finally to purchase C1 pro.

Kind regards
NNN636452453518237846

Re: changing language in C12 and migration questions

Postby Ian3 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am

I try to use C1 since C10 and each time I upgraded to a new version (C11 then C12), there were no migration of my previous catalogs. I had to import them manually...

When you install a new version of Capture One, the list of recent sessions and catalogs will be empty. It will get populated as you open existing sessions and catalogs. They are not "in" Capture One or "migrated to" Capture One. It is only a list of recent documents, like the recent files list you get in other apps such as Microsoft Word, or Excel. Also when you first use an existing session or catalog with a new version of Capture One, it will need to convert it to the newest format. (So for example if you use Capture One 12 to open a session last used with Capture One 11, it will tell you that the session has to be updated to version 12. And it will backup the version 11 session file. Note that this only updates the session database - it doesn't make any changes to the images and their edits. You can update images to the newest processing engine if you choose to, but it may not be a good idea to do it routinely for every image because the edits you have worked on may come out differently.)

So you can open old sessions and catalogs from the new version of the app by using File>Open and navigating to the session or catalog file.

Ian
Ian3

Postby tenmangu81 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:40 pm

NNN636452453518237846 wrote:Hello

I would like to change the language of C12. I use MacOs 12. I saw a previous post about same question on C10.

Is it same procedure to change it to english ? I see in the ressources folder called "ja.lproj", would it be enough to change it to "lproj".

My default language for a new Capture One version is my OS language (French). I go to fr.lproj and transform it into fr.(lproj), and when I open C1, it has switched to English.
I don't have the same behaviour as Ian. When I install a new version (say N) of Capture One, it always open the last catalog I dealt with when I left the N-1.
tenmangu81

Postby Ian3 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:15 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:
NNN636452453518237846 wrote:Hello

My default language for a new Capture One version is my OS language (French). I go to fr.lproj and transform it into fr.(lproj), and when I open C1, it has switched to English.
I don't have the same behaviour as Ian. When I install a new version (say N) of Capture One, it always open the last catalog I dealt with when I left the N-1.

Yes I think that it will open the most recent catalog (or session) but if I remember rightly (it was a year ago now that I updated to version 12!) it may have lost the recent list, and that would need to be repopulated. But I may have remembered wrongly from a year ago.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN636452453518237846 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:17 pm

Hello

Thanks to all for your answers !

so I understand better the logic of C1. It is a great retouching tool for sure but it lacks a real indexing tool (because here catalogue means something else). It would be a great step to switch completely to C1 from lightroom.

In case I want "fr.lproj" because by default C12 to downloaded me the Asian version I guess. I don't find this folder. I am French using a MacOs in japanese.... Is there any possibility to get it ?

Is there speed differences between C12 and C20 ?

Kind regards
NNN636452453518237846

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:43 pm

All localisations (or languages) are in the same CO download, worldwide.

Please do not mess around with the .lproj folders. This is the worst option to deal with your request. For one reason, each update or upgrade will deny all changes.

For macOS users, there is a simple app in the Mac App Store named App Language Chooser. Of course, I do not know whether this is available in the Japanese Mac App Store. If so, I highly recommend you to use it. You can both temporarily and permanently change the language setting of any app on your Mac.

In case this does not exist, the app, we can discuss a terminal command to execute only once (until you upgrade, I think).
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636452453518237846 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:12 am

@Paul_Steunebrink , thanks a lot !!

It worked indeed without going into the internals of C12.

I guess that the subject was raised already but is there a speed difference between C12 and C20 ?

Have a good day !
NNN636452453518237846

Return to Capture One 12.x Software