Images look soft until I zoom

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Images look soft until I zoom

Postby NNN636573040490806646 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi

When I am looking at the full "fit" image it looks soft in the editing window until I start zooming. Am I missing something obvious in the settings?
NNN636573040490806646

Re: Images look soft until I zoom

Postby SFA » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:06 pm

What is your default Preview size and your screen resolution?
SFA

Postby chrispeden » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:35 am

I have to say I am also seeing this. Previews is set at default of 2560 and my imac screen is 1920x1080 native.
chrispeden

Postby M_conn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:08 am

I was just coming to the board to post about this same issue. It's a new issue for me with V12. I have tried adjusting my Preview size and it has not helped resolve the problem.

The image looks soft until zoomed in or examining with the loupe and it is tack sharp. The image is exported with "Edit with..." with the correct sharpness, but upon round tripping back into CO12 the image is back to being soft unless zoomed in upon.

I'm hoping this is a bug that is resolved fast.

Fuji XT-3 files, on a 2015 27" iMac, High Sierra
M_conn

Postby SFA » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:12 am

Sounds like the final part of some prcessing is not being displayed for some reason.

Since there are a few of you I would suggest creating Support Tickets so that you can be sure that the support team know about the number of users with the problem and have some information to work with.

Grant
SFA

Postby M_conn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am

SFA wrote:Sounds like the final part of some prcessing is not being displayed for some reason.

Since there are a few of you I would suggest creating Support Tickets so that you can be sure that the support team know about the number of users with the problem and have some information to work with.

Grant

Good point. Done.
M_conn

Postby DAndison » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Seeing the same thing. Image size set to 2560 to match screen size. Image looks soft until zoomed.

Separate Note Moderator or someone that can pro contact support.

Could someone possibly prod the handler of Case 307832. It's been going on since 29 Nov and you now have 2 payments from me.... thanks
DAndison

Postby Minigill » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Seen this is previous versions also.
Minigill

Postby M_conn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:55 am

Here was the reply to my support ticket:

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out to us and for your interest in Capture One.

In Capture One you don't have fixed pixels, you have raw data that we scale and apply adjustments to after the scaling takes place. The way Capture One works is we render directly from the Raw to the final output size, so the pixels don't exist until you generate an output file -this affects what details are present. When you view at 100% we are rendering the image as it will process at 100%. The same goes at 50% view and 33% view. At those smaller zoom levels we are rendering that size file, not processing to 100% and scaling down. This allows you to see accurately what smaller files will look like. When you are zoomed out we are displaying a fixed size preview (you can choose the size in preferences) This fixed size previews has the details present when processing directly to that size. This is done largely for performance. If we were to render the preview by processing to 100% and scaling down, performance would suffer dramatically.

Best regards,

While I understand the rational, it doesn’t add up for me in this case. For me this is a relatively new issue - actually since upgrading to V12, though I know others in this thread experienced it in V11. I’ve set my preview size to my screen resolution, but the issue remains. It doesn’t appear that a fix is coming so I guess I’ll have to count on methods of viewing at 100% to confirm sharpness. There are many (loop, focus check highlighting, a separate focus tool window, quick focus to 100%, etc), but, still the blur at normal size is disconcerting and disappointing.
M_conn

Postby DAndison » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:00 am

I always check at 100% but I do think the image should be rendered correctly when it is the only image on the screen, even if the lower % was dropped to say 25% instead of 33%. I'm not worried by images in the browser or, multiple images selected together as I'm normally comparing composition at that stage.

Either way, I want to see a true representation of the image when it is the only image on the screen. They could even introduce a setting that feeds in the minimum image % for full rendering then users will have the choice.
DAndison

Postby Zipfelkunst » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm

I have the same problem. Mojave 14.2
Zipfelkunst

Postby NN196507UL4 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:48 pm

Here the same. It is very annoying as it is more difficult now judge a photo. And - clicking to 100 percent the photo looks sharp. Klicking back it looks sharp and great too, unfortunately only for a second switching to an unwanted soft image again. Not what I want. So I will go back to an earlier version again. Even in version 11 it was not perfect like in 8 or 9, but not that bad! Sorry Phase One, bad job in my opinion! (Once it was one reason I changed from Adobe where you find the same behavior.)
NN196507UL4

Postby Class A » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:34 am

Using the "Proofing" option with an appropriately set size and post-sharpening levels is a workaround; an unsatisfactory one, though. There is a distracting "Proofing" label, efficiency is diminished, and zooming in is not supported anymore.

I'd rather have this longstanding issue fixed than have new features added.
Class A

Postby MartinGJ » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:33 am

From what I can see the issue is worse than in v11 and increases when memory is low.
The pics are sometimes so soft that one might think that they are unsharp, blaming all but C1. That cannot be the purpose of software I think.
Thanks and Regards,
Martin
MartinGJ

Postby NNN636440451091974135 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:33 am

I also have the same problem, I do not understand the answer Phase One a little above, if in the 11 did not happen I do not understand why this version should be this problem, it's a shame because the program is very nice and LR user always I'm seriously considering the pass to C1, but open a picture and not be able to see it properly full-screen when is the only one, it is not a beautiful thing and I think the classic banana peel that makes you slip for nothing, maybe in the version 12.1 will be correct. :wink:
NNN636440451091974135

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac