How to use Capture Pilot on Guest/Client Network

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture Pilot for iOS

How to use Capture Pilot on Guest/Client Network

Postby NNN636811910665632821 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:49 pm

I often shoot at a client's site - is there an easy way to jump onto the client's network (I usually already have a login) and start using Capture Pilot? I've tried connecting both my iphone and laptop to the client's network but haven't been able to get it to work. Thanks

Barry Braunstein Photography
www.barrybraunsteinphotography.com
NNN636811910665632821

Re: How to use Capture Pilot on Guest/Client Network

Postby Frank Leonard » Mon May 06, 2019 10:45 am

There are no special tricks you can pull from either Capture Pilot or Capture One if the connection is consistently not established. The most likely cause is that a network setting blocks the server. You e.g. could check with your client if the port used by the Capture Pilot Server is blocked. The port number is indicated in Capture One's Capture Pilot tool in the Mobile tab when the server is running.
Frank Leonard
Crew
Crew

Postby alececco » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:47 pm

NNN636811910665632821 wrote:I often shoot at a client's site - is there an easy way to jump onto the client's network (I usually already have a login) and start using Capture Pilot? I've tried connecting both my iphone and laptop to the client's network but haven't been able to get it to work. Thanks

Barry Braunstein Photography
http://www.barrybraunsteinphotography.com

The only way to make CP work is to use an Ad Hoc network from the PB. Then it works fine. everything also is hocus pocus...
alececco

Postby alececco » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Frank Leonard wrote:There are no special tricks you can pull from either Capture Pilot or Capture One if the connection is consistently not established. The most likely cause is that a network setting blocks the server. You e.g. could check with your client if the port used by the Capture Pilot Server is blocked. The port number is indicated in Capture One's Capture Pilot tool in the Mobile tab when the server is running.

Yes but Frank honestly, who has the time to start fiddling with blocked ports in a session :lol:
You should tell your clients that the only way it will work reliably is an ad hoc network from the PB. Everything else is going to cause problems.
alececco

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:13 pm

Frank Leonard wrote:There are no special tricks you can pull from either Capture Pilot or Capture One if the connection is consistently not established. The most likely cause is that a network setting blocks the server. You e.g. could check with your client if the port used by the Capture Pilot Server is blocked. The port number is indicated in Capture One's Capture Pilot tool in the Mobile tab when the server is running.

Apart from potentially blocked network ports, WiFi networks in public spots like hotels work differently from the ones at home or our studio.

Long story short, home networks have a shared LAN, allowing devices to broadcast network traffic. Capture Pilot uses this technique to find the computer with Capture One that runs Capture Pilot’s image server.
Public hotspots put every connection on their virtual LAN, separate from each other. This is a safety feature. Between these VLANs no broadcast is possible.

And now for the solution:
1) install on your computer or iOS device an app that can discover other devices on the LAN. For example Fing for iOS. If you can’t see the other device, no connection is possible.
2) use your own portable WiFi device, potentially running on its own battery or power via USB, connect your laptop via Ethernet cable is possible to provide full WiFi bandwidth to the iOS device(s).
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture Pilot for iOS