change wide

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

change wide

Postby LarsH » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 am

Hi, is there no tool to set a pic more or less wide/ high? The tool trapez makes a high house shorter (or cut the top), so the pic must set a little bit smaller to hold the relationship. How to do this? Thx, lars
C1 pro 12.1.3, macbook pro, 10.13.6, Fujifilm X-Pro2 | LarsHennings.de
LarsH

Re: change wide

Postby Ian3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:05 am

I assume you are talking about the keystone tool for dealing with converging verticals on buildings. When you use it and set the verticals more or less straight, then of course the building may then look a bit out of proportion (too squat, or too tall). You can adjust that to your taste using the Aspect slider in the keystone tool.

Ian
Ian3

Postby LarsH » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:38 am

Thanks, Ian, but that is not enough. There is a skyscraper to take with the camera looking upside. I tried several times and think, this tool is not exact. The top of the house is cut and the aspect tool must press down the house to see it again. But then the relationships is wrong, the house to wide. So I need to move one side of the (portrait) pic 4 mm inside to it. The meshes tool of Affinity photo is fine for that, C1 should have it. Bye, lars
LarsH

Postby Ian3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 pm

The other thing you can do is re-crop after using the keystone tool.

Here is an example. (Not the world's best photo, just a record of a hotel I stayed in.)

1. is how it started out, with the keystone tool selected and the guides lined up on suitable verticals.

2. is what you see immediately after clicking Apply

3. is the result (with parts of the building cut off at the top, of course)

4. is cropping (using the unconstrained option) to get as much in as possible - and of course, because the image has been widened at the top to correct the perspective, you can't fit in the whole width at the top, only the part that matches the width at the bottom.

5. is the final result.

Note that the verticals in the final result are not 100% vertical. That is because I chose to leave the % setting in the keystone tool set to the default 80%, which is like that on the theory that a bit of convergence looks more natural. But you can set it to 100% to get fully upright verticals if you want.

Ian

Ian3

Postby LarsH » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Ja, thats the way. To set the vertical as last moving seems to be easier – not importend. The problem with your pic is, that the "tower" left (1) is smaller then in (5) if you think it to vertical. Therefore I asked for one tool more.
See the pics, 1. row left: with shift, the lens brings back in the high what the perspectiv takes away, stock by stock; right: with C1 and you see the small black field what I pressed with meshes from the right only. 2. row: original without shift.
Best regards, lars

LarsH

Postby Ian3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Yes, I could have used the Aspect slider to make the tower a little less tall.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:41 am

LarsH wrote:Ja, thats the way. To set the vertical as last moving seems to be easier – not importend. The problem with your pic is, that the "tower" left (1) is smaller then in (5) if you think it to vertical. Therefore I asked for one tool more.
See the pics, 1. row left: with shift, the lens brings back in the high what the perspectiv takes away, stock by stock; right: with C1 and you see the small black field what I pressed with meshes from the right only. 2. row: original without shift.
Best regards, lars

You want pixel manipulation to completely re-paint the image?

Then you really need a graphics/art software tool not a RAW converter. Like something from the Adobe suite or, as you mention, Affinity which, like PhotoShop, has a development history that relates first to creating Art works and later added digital photos and then RAW file conversions. The sort of thing that offers all of those well known "Photoshop" results in fashion and glamour photography.

Grant
SFA

Postby LarsH » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:47 am

Hi Grant, that´s right. I tested some ultra-wide-lenses for shifting. The low cost lenses are not so good. So the question is/ was: what is the quality with a new lens Fuji X without shift in 18 mm. Can a tool to make the house/ object stand up give better results. Yes – if there is a way to do it in a simple way. C1 created a complex but difficult tool for it, but it is not enough. So I asked for a little step more, this one as in Affinity photo the meshes which is used above. For I don´t like to work too much at the computer creating a photography. Hope the staff of Phase one read it. Regards, lars

EDIT: There are some reasons more to have a tool like meshes, which is only a little step more as C1 includs now: so to press only a part ot the top of the image. The sight from below shows the bolcony ceiling very big, that could reduced a little at the top of the house.
LarsH

Return to Capture One 11.x Software