Sharpness problems Capture one 11

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Sharpness problems Capture one 11

Postby NNN636767258479978391 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:48 am

hi with everyone, I'm starting to use capture one, and I think there's a problem in the program, I'm comparing two NEF photos in lightroom 7.5 and in Capture one 11 and only by opening the image without editing anything, in lightroom you can see the image well sharp and in Capture one the image comes out less sharp, it is a problem of the program or it is not compatible nikon raw, I use Nikon d7100, here are some photos so that you can see, I hope your help thanks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128435135 ... 3024066024
NNN636767258479978391

Re: Sharpness problems Capture one 11

Postby NNN636767258479978391 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:51 am

tomorrow I will take a photo more closely, so that the difference in sharpness is better appreciated.
NNN636767258479978391

Postby NNN636767258479978391 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:22 am

Capture one 11.

Lightroom 7.5

NNN636767258479978391

Postby SFA » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:49 am

Comparing your first image samples there are some differences in lens adjustments and maybe also Contrast. Certainly in colour and the way the highlights are treated.

There is no reason to think that the default interpretation for both application should be the same - the processes and the tools are used are different. Both will apply certain "default" settings - in the case of Capture One the settings will be related ot the camera sensor and lens and the settings in use.

You can make changes to get what you like in terms of colour, sharpness and many other settings and work with those. In C1 if you find you prefer different default values to the the values offer by the application you can simply same your values and have those applied as the "normal" settings for your images.

Speaking personally I find I change most of the images I shoot in some way. If I did not feel there was some benefit to doing that because all images could be processed in the same way, I would work out how to make the changes within camera jpg processing settings and save a lot of editing effort!

In the second image you posted I can't really see any great differences at all except that the highly exposed areas of the hat have more detail retained in the Capture One image that in the Lr image - but it is not a matter of what you see at that point and how it looks compared to your personal preferences: Rather you need to make some edits to see which gives you the better end result and choose whichever you feel most comfortable with.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby David532 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:11 pm

NNN636767258479978391 wrote:hi with everyone, I'm starting to use capture one, and I think there's a problem in the program, I'm comparing two NEF photos in lightroom 7.5 and in Capture one 11 and only by opening the image without editing anything, in lightroom you can see the image well sharp and in Capture one the image comes out less sharp, it is a problem of the program or it is not compatible nikon raw, I use Nikon d7100, here are some photos so that you can see, I hope your help thanks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128435135 ... 3024066024

The previews generated by CO when importing files are compressed and don't look particularly sharp. To see a much better pre-view select 100% view and CO will generate a high quality pre-view.

Dave
David532

Postby NNN636767258479978391 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:45 pm

Hello, thank you for your answer, if I understand that the interpretations of colors and contrast may be a little different, but that the sharpness changes makes me weird, and now we can deal with the acdsee and the C1 and the difference is the same, and acdsee is just an image viewer does not edit anything, here I leave the images, this seems to me rather a problem of C1, because I have a friend who uses camera sony and his photos in C1 looks better than in lightroom, but with my nikon is the opposite, thank you very much for your help.

ACDSEE

Capture one

Acdsee

Capture one

NNN636767258479978391

Postby SFA » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:37 pm

Two things can happen when viewing an image. No RAW image is displayed without some sort of interpretation of the recorded data form the sensor so that it is presented in a way then the human eye and brain can understand.

In the first instance a viewer is likely to present the image that the Camera has created internally as a representation of the RAW file so that we can see things on the camera screen. This is usually jpg file at a resolution chosen by the manufacturer and with some process settings supplied by the settings set up in the camera. These settings, by default, will often be quite strong on saturation, contrast and sharpening.

I viewer may well initially just present those in camera generated jpgs as a representation of the image since they are "preview" files embedded in the RAW file. How the viewer software handles the image files as one zooms in and out - i.e. does it just manipulate the jpg or does it re-process from the RAW data file with its own default edit settings - can produce quite a different look on screen. There are many variable involved some of which are nothing to do with the RAW interpretation software in some circumstances.

What I would suggest you do - if apparent sharpness is you most important criteria rather than, say, highlight or dark area details - is take your Capture One image and slightly adjust the Clarity tool settings as a starting point to see hat you think aobout the adjustment reange possible and the results it provides.

The try the same sort of thing with the Sharpening Tool - but bear in mind that the amount of sharpening (or Clarity) that an image may require to suit your preferences is likely to vary according to whether you are planning to present the image on a screen of some sort (the type and size of the screen may be important here) or using Print media - in which case the sharpening effect will need to be adjusted for the media type and, possibly, viewing distance.

In summary, what you see on screen "out of the box" is not really important when processing from a RAW file. What you can achieve with the edit tools available is far more significant - especially when you can save settings that you like for instance re-use with other images.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636767258479978391 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:15 pm

SFA wrote:Two things can happen when viewing an image. No RAW image is displayed without some sort of interpretation of the recorded data form the sensor so that it is presented in a way then the human eye and brain can understand.

In the first instance a viewer is likely to present the image that the Camera has created internally as a representation of the RAW file so that we can see things on the camera screen. This is usually jpg file at a resolution chosen by the manufacturer and with some process settings supplied by the settings set up in the camera. These settings, by default, will often be quite strong on saturation, contrast and sharpening.

I viewer may well initially just present those in camera generated jpgs as a representation of the image since they are "preview" files embedded in the RAW file. How the viewer software handles the image files as one zooms in and out - i.e. does it just manipulate the jpg or does it re-process from the RAW data file with its own default edit settings - can produce quite a different look on screen. There are many variable involved some of which are nothing to do with the RAW interpretation software in some circumstances.

What I would suggest you do - if apparent sharpness is you most important criteria rather than, say, highlight or dark area details - is take your Capture One image and slightly adjust the Clarity tool settings as a starting point to see hat you think aobout the adjustment reange possible and the results it provides.

The try the same sort of thing with the Sharpening Tool - but bear in mind that the amount of sharpening (or Clarity) that an image may require to suit your preferences is likely to vary according to whether you are planning to present the image on a screen of some sort (the type and size of the screen may be important here) or using Print media - in which case the sharpening effect will need to be adjusted for the media type and, possibly, viewing distance.

In summary, what you see on screen "out of the box" is not really important when processing from a RAW file. What you can achieve with the edit tools available is far more significant - especially when you can save settings that you like for instance re-use with other images.

HTH.

Grant

Thank you very much for your help, I will take into account everything you tell me. I like how Capture 1 recovers the high and low lights and the handling of color and layers, I was just worried that it looked more blurry, but I will do everything you told me and I will see how it goes, thanks.
NNN636767258479978391

Return to Capture One 11.x Software