Default Sort Order

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Default Sort Order

Postby NNN636497578953615090 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:57 pm

I am having difficulty in the Viewer Mode, having the sort order stay on "Date". When I do a new import, it defaults back to "Name" as the sort order. Appreciate any thoughts. Thank You!
NNN636497578953615090

Re: Default Sort Order

Postby picman2 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:23 pm

Yes, maybe, but if you click date it immediately sorts according to date.
picman2

Postby NNN636497578953615090 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:06 pm

Thank you, but can a new default be "Date". Not "Name". Or, does it have to be manually selected each time Capture One is started and an import is done? Currently, each time an import is done, the Viewer is sorted by Name. For me when editing, I wish to always see by date so the progression of the photo shoot is clear. Thus "Date" is my priority and I can't seem to find how to make this a custom "Default" setting. Thanks.
NNN636497578953615090

Postby cdc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Unfortunately there is not a default for this setting and hundreds, if not thousands, of digital tech's & photographers around the world have to manually change this.... daily..... several times :(

You're not the first to ask.
Feature Request!
cdc

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:25 am

Name is likely to be the most unique key and so provide the most reliably consistent sort order order for a single import from a card.

That may not be quite so true if images from multiple cameras are concerned.

Then again one might conclude the same for date and time orders if the imported files are from multiple cameras and the time settings are not well aligned. (Or indeed a single camera and card with images recorded in different time zones with the internal clock set/reset or NOT set/reset!

There may be other factors in terms of frames per second if the sort is not resolving to hundreths of a second for example.

I suspect that is why name is the persistent default.

However, if you set up a Smart Album that selects everything, give that a sort order of your choice and then save using Close Window the set sort order appears to be persistent on a Windows system and so I would think it might also be persistent on Mac. So it you upload more images or close and later re-open the session (or presumably a catalogue as well although then one might well want a smart album with selection criteria applied) the smart album should give you the order you prefer.

This works for sessions using Windows as far as I can tell so presumably would also work for Mac.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636497578953615090 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:35 am

Thanks Grant for in-depth thought and I will try a Smart Album. I am on a Mac. Version 11 is my first on Capture One, now for nearly a year coming from Lightroom and the slow performance I was having with files on a Nikon D850. I really like Capture One and its quality, but I am surprised at some of the limitations in sorting, and other customizations. Perhaps version 12 is soon to be released with these refinements, maybe stitching on pans, compressing multiple images to create an HDR etc. Brad
NNN636497578953615090

Postby NNN636676058250353137 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:01 am

cdc wrote:Unfortunately there is not a default for this setting and hundreds, if not thousands, of digital techs & photographers around the world have to manually change this.... daily..... several times :(

Ha. And that isn’t even taking into account the amount of time I’ve spent combing through every preference panel and menu looking for a way to get the sort order to default to date. I figured there had to be a way, but I guess not!
NNN636676058250353137

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:34 am

NNN636676058250353137 wrote:
cdc wrote:Unfortunately there is not a default for this setting and hundreds, if not thousands, of digital techs & photographers around the world have to manually change this.... daily..... several times :(

Ha. And that isn’t even taking into account the amount of time I’ve spent combing through every preference panel and menu looking for a way to get the sort order to default to date. I figured there had to be a way, but I guess not!

Add the date to the file name on import would work.

Data alone would work subject to the way the seconds are handled if used in a naming convention.

Grant
SFA

Postby David532 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:18 pm

NNN636676058250353137 wrote:

For catalogs on Windows version (and should be same for Mac) select menu item View/Sort, select your preferred sort parameter (Date for me). On my machine that selection is sticky till I change it.

Dave
David532

Postby cdc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:59 pm

An example where these work arounds don't work is a commercial photographer where every work day gets its own new session, and file naming is dictated by style numbers, SKU's, or line sheets of the products. If they're shooting 30 different brands in a day that is 30 different folders they're shooting to and 30 times they have to switch from sort by name to sort by date.

In the grander scheme it is a minor annoyance but seems easy enough to accommodate a fix considering the number of people who would appreciate the option of default sorting by date.
cdc

Postby David532 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:57 pm

cdc wrote:An example where these work arounds don't work is a commercial photographer where every work day gets its own new session, and file naming is dictated by style numbers, SKU's, or line sheets of the products. If they're shooting 30 different brands in a day that is 30 different folders they're shooting to and 30 times they have to switch from sort by name to sort by date.

In the grander scheme it is a minor annoyance but seems easy enough to accommodate a fix considering the number of people who would appreciate the option of default sorting by date.

OK get your point only sticky for selected folder in sessions; not at all ideal. :evil:
David532

Return to Capture One 11.x Software