Switching to Capture one

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Switching to Capture one

Postby NNN636760695844637777 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:49 pm

So I wanted to try capture one instead of lightroom 6 but came across some questions.

1st is there any problem to try it alongside LR? Do they alter the Raw files in any way?

2nd - With LR I use a Macbook and Desktop PC (on the same catalog). The folder the catalog is in is synced between both systems and my NAS. Works quite nice with the only thing being that every time I switch between the two I have to manually select the path for the Raw files again (because of the way how windows and mac handle the paths)

Is this also possible with Capture one? Using it on 2 systems? Do I need two licenses?
NNN636760695844637777

Re: Switching to Capture one

Postby Ian3 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:32 pm

(1) There is no problem with using it alongside LR. Capture One (and I presume LR too) will not alter your raw file in any way. It keeps track of adjustments you make inside its catalog database if you use a catalog, or in subfolders of the image folders on your system if you use sessions.

(2) You don't need two licences. Your licence will cover you to install and use C1 on both machines. (I think that if you go for the subscription model, two is your limit, but if you go for the outright purchase model, you get three. I use the latter, but only have two machines in use anyway.)

You *may* be OK sharing your catalog as you suggest, but I would read around the use of NAS on this forum. Some people seem to get on well while others have issues.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN636760695844637777 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:55 am

Thank you Ian for your answer,

I just saw that C1 can also import a Lightroom catalog, what info can it import? Just the tags and metadata? I did not want to try it right away because I was afraid that it could destroy my LR catalog (I have a backup but still...)
NNN636760695844637777

Postby Ian3 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Someone else will have to answer that for you, as I have not used LR, but I think it likely that it would do no harm to your lR catalog at all. You could test it by making a small LR catalog of only a few images, then try out importing that to C1 and see how it goes. I think from what others have said that importing a large catalog could take some time.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:30 pm

NNN636760695844637777 wrote:Thank you Ian for your answer,

I just saw that C1 can also import a Lightroom catalog, what info can it import? Just the tags and metadata? I did not want to try it right away because I was afraid that it could destroy my LR catalog (I have a backup but still...)

I have not used it but from what I understand it references the files at their current location and makes use of the sidecar files - so metadata and generic tags where the source information complies with whatever "standards" exist for it. The Help file entry (which you may already have discovered?) outlines the approach.

I think you can probably find quite a lot of experience based information on the internet. Some of the older stuff may not be totally accurate for reflecting the current options and abilities.

The objective of the import is to allow people to run both their existing application and C1 side by side if they so wish.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby IanL » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:04 pm

Importing a LR catalog into C1 will not harm the LR catalog. I made the switch not too long ago. You can read about who I found a happy path for LR cataglog import here:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27207#p130622

My experiences were documented with support and there have been a few releases since then. So, your experience might be even better than mine.
IanL

Return to Capture One 11.x Software